Your Gaming History

Crouton

Reaction score
I started a thread like this on another forum once and got cool results, so basically, what's your gaming history?

What was your first console? How did you first get into games? Which games did you first play?

My first real introduction to gaming was my Gameboy Colour which I got when I was 5 or 6. For years I played games like Pokemon, Zelda etc.

From there I started to play PC games as well. I played mostly RTS games for years and years. Settlers 5, Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology, Warcraft 3 etc. I also played MMO's like Runescape, Ultima Online and Ragnarok Online.

Sometime after that I got my first Playstation One. With that I became addicted to games like Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. From then on it was on to the PS2 and PS3.

JIM

zombie Turncoat
Reaction score
geeez. we're going back to a time of pong for me...... pre pc, pre console.
first console was the atari,
first computer was a commodore vic 20

JIM

zombie Turncoat
Reaction score
remembering, that with the first pc's you didn't buy games, you bought books, then typed out the programs. then came cassettes, which u ran for 60 min or so, then we got the cartridges, massive leap forward.

Stormborn

Reaction score
I played animal PC games and that's about it. Then I got the game The Longest Journey and it was amazing, It's still my favorite game.

Padmé

King in the North & King Anakin's Wench
Reaction score
I can remember watching my older brothers playing on the Atari, but I never played that. When one of my brothers got a NES for xmas 1989, I was fascinated. I'd sit and watch him play Super Mario, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. I would play ever now and then, but was not frequent. When he then later got the SNES, I inherited the NES lol So that was when everything kicked off. I played all the Mario games especially, then demanded my own SNES :p So my mum got me that with the Aladdin game for my birthday that year.

So yeah, was a nintendo nut to start off with.

OP
Crouton

Crouton

Reaction score
remembering, that with the first pc's you didn't buy games, you bought books, then typed out the programs. then came cassettes, which u ran for 60 min or so, then we got the cartridges, massive leap forward.

So awesome. I love hearing about old retro gaming like this.

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
Started off with like Monkey Island, and other Lucas Arts adventure games. Day of the Tentacle, those syk Indiana Jones games. Then I got really into handheld stuff with like bomber-man and Kirby for the game boy. Then one day I played an N64 at a friend's house and my mind blew up and I couldn't even fathom.

I was mostly into Nintendo stuff through the gamecube and I'm still into their handhelds, but after the Wii just stopped having good RPGs and shooters I switched to PC gaming again and rediscovered every other gaming genre. Though with games like Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story picking up steam on Nintendo platforms maybe the Wii U will end the drought. Best case scenario Tales of Xillia or something gets released on it.

I skipped how I got into games though. I would always watch my sister play those adventure games and I thought they were way past rad. Also having a pretty bad growth rate and family that didn't give a damn about sports I was more prone to doing things indoors or thinking about other stuff. During elementary school, I led a small group into the realms of pretend so I guess that naturally inclined me towards role playing games and fantasy.

Last edited:

Anakin

God Emperor
Reaction score
Well the first computer we had, I don't even remember what it was. But it had very basic grapics. Only a green and black colour. So that had a skiing game and that was my first gaming experience. Later we moved onto a real computer, a 386 and games such as the first Prince of Persia, Stunts were played on it. Both amazing games. Later I remember playing the first Wolfenstein on it, just remembering how you had to defeat Hitler who sat in a Mech Warrior type of thing lol. I never moved onto Doom actually. I get the time a bit mixed up but we eventually did get our first gaming console, a SEGA 8-bit. Again can't really remember what games we had on it except the first and third Wonderboy. Next to that we had a Game Gear. But eventually I had to give up console games due to my condition. Anyway wasn't a bad thing. I moved back to my pc, where I played loads of adventure games. Space Quest IV was the first game I bought for my pc. I think we had a 486 by that time. I just loved that game, and I got so many more Sierra games and of course the epic 'The Secret of Monkey Island' game. So there was a long time I just played pc games.

Consoling came back when a certain woman came in my life. The one you know as Padmé. She immediately brought a playstation 2 and Xbox with her. I wasn't really a fan of the Xbox though. I mainly played the new prince of persia games on the ps2 and games such as Shadow Hearts. I still played pc games because I remember playing games such as Knights of the Old Republic on it. I played a lot of Star Wars games of course on the PC and on the other consoles. Later we moved on of course to the ps3. We weren't interested in the Xbox 360. The first game I got on the ps3 was Assassin's Creed and so started my obsession with the franchise lol. We actually used it more as a blu-ray player though we did keep buying games such as Grand Theft Auto IV and other games. When we heard of Dragon Age: Origins we tried it and were both addicted to the game. We both tried it because we heard it was made by the same makers as Knights of the Old Republic, which we both really liked. And we had heard of Mass Effect, but it was only much later that we got really interested in the game already when the second game was out. We got ourselves an Xbox 360 buying both games and we loved it.

However before we acquired a 360, we bought ourselves a Wii. We were very sceptical about the console. If they hadn't released Zelda: Twilight Princess I'm not sure we would have gotten it as except for Wii sports, we didn't play anything else on it. I tried Red Steel, but it didn't really interest me. Now the latest game I bought was Dishonored for the 360. These days we get ourselves more 360 games, rather than PS3, though I'm still a firm believer that the PS3 is better than the XBox360, while Padmé is the opposite. The last PS3 game I bought was Assassin's Creed III. The main reason we mainly stick to the 360 is because we travel a lot. We both own a 360 in Belgium and in Scotland, so we wouldn't really miss out playing a game when first released, otherwise we would have to wait months to play it if we got it for the PS3 (Which is exactly what I'm doing for ACIII, but still I have no regrets lol)

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
My family game a little late to the computer world, that said we didn't jump in at the shallow end. For its time we got a whopping powerful machine (which I don't think my parents then ever actually used ;)).

First ever game I got, based off the box in the store was ---- STARCRAFT! And I was terrible at it!
In the end I resorted to cheating my way through and still loving every moment of the game. Commanding armies and the dark atmosphere it was all there in glorious 2D!

After that I've less distinct memories of what order games appeared in - I can recall fondly awaiting the release and then being blown away by Homeworld - the 3D was outstanding and the music and story really gripped and drew you into the game. Console wise I recall fond memories of the PSone - fantastic games such as Jade Cocoon, Spyro, Crash, I played a little of Metal Gear Solid but never got into it at the time.
The gameboy world I approached in the GBC - I recall sparked both by two of my siblings having one and a long, slow, very boring ride to Jersey by boat (and the off duty shop which made things all the cheaper). And thus I found both Pokemon RED and Dragon Warrior Monsters!

But its safe to say that, early on, two kinds of game really hooked me then and always have. RTS games and RPG games - though for me its always been about the story as well as the whole feel of a game. In fact I often find that many older games can be more atmospheric and draw you in a lot more than some modern games, even with their vastly improved visuals.

Emelie

Queen of darkness
Reaction score
The first game I ever tried on was Castlevania on the NES. If i remember correcly, i was only like 5-6 years, seeing my father play made me wanna try it out as well..
From there there was more kids friendly games like Super mario, Zelda etc. I played SNES at my friend a lot. Never got one myself. And then my other friend had a SEGA. We played Sonic.. a lot!

After that, the first console that was actually bought for my brother and me was the Nintendo 64. Super mario, Castlevania, mischief makers etc. And at the same time we had our first PC in our home. There was games like Jurassics park and the sims.

Most of the consoles and computer up to this point werent mine, and I didn't get to play a lot really. But at the age of 14 I got my own computer and a year later, an xbox 360.
At my 360 DOA4 was the first game i played and finished. And the second one was Oblivion. It was love at first sight :D
And from there its just gone downhill.... stuck in the gaming world :D It's been awesome. Bought myself a WII, but I was pretty disappointed with it. Played some zelda, lego games, mario..

I did try to play gameboys and nintendo DS some time back in the days, but I never really got hooked, my brother did on the other hand.

Can't wait till the next generation of consoles! Until then, my computer and 360 will have to do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I started with a NES system. The first game I can really remember playing was Mario 2 only because my sister could beat it and I could never get past the level everyone always hates in every platformer, the mother loving ice levels!!! After that I went to Sega playing the Sonic games heavily also The Lion King. Then I got Into Pokemon for Gameboy. Then Playstation and Playstation 2 and finally Xbox 360. I haven't got my Xbox currently because I'm not settled in all the way but when I do I'm going to have t jump back on to my XBL account and wreak havoc on my favorite game GoW. Now that I have watched Wreck it Ralph and written this post I have a total nostalgia boner so I'm going to have to go play some old roms or something.

Taliesyn

It's a feral reality out there, kids.
Reaction score
First console I owned was fifteen years ago. It was an N64 and the first game I ever loved on it was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I played others, but none of them could hold a candle to this (well, except for Majora's Mask which was just flippin' awesome!).

When the Gamecube came out I upgraded to that, and so my love affair with Zelda continued. Wind Waker was an awesome (yet much maligned) installment, and it still holds a place in my heart as my favourite game of all time. The toony graphics, uplifting music, and hypnotic adventure... what's not to like? I feel so overjoyed whenever I play Wind Waker!

Then I upgraded to Wii when it came out, and the fun times continued. I've loved both Zeldas on that, as well as Xenoblade Chronicles and Monster Hunter Tri. Wii was a very much maligned console that had more than its fair share of wonderful titles. I had so many good times with that little box of joy!

And now I'm having fun with Wii U. I've written at length about it in the Wii U thread that Crou started, so I won't repeat myself here. Suffice to say that I'm enjoying it immensely so far. ZombiU is giving me some sleepless nights though... ;)

Oh, and the handhelds I've owned have all been in the Nintendo DS family, the latest one being a 3DS XL. Playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star on it at the moment.

Herald Of Woe

Scourge of the seven seas
Reaction score
geeez. we're going back to a time of pong for me...... pre pc, pre console.
first console was the atari,
first computer was a commodore vic 20

My first computer was a commodore vic 20 too ahh many happy hours playing text based adventure games

My first console was the original gameboy and my fave games were Hal Wrestling, WWF Superstars, Dr Franken and of course Mario Land and Mario Land 2 6 Golden Coins
Then I got the SNES with the Superscope although my favourite games were Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Street Fighter II and Illusion of Time
Then I got the NES - yeah I know that is kind of backwards but hey that is how I roll. Spent much many hours playing Mario Bros and Mario Bros 3, Punchout and Turbo Racing, amoung others
Then I got the N64 and wasted many hours playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, then it was on to Ps2, then the original Playstation again backwards way round I know, then an Xbox, then a gameboy advance. Then I got a Ps3 and also bought a Megadrive and 6 games from a carboot sale for £12. Then after my Ps3 died I replaced it with a new Ps3 and I also have an Xbox 360

Ilaelin

The Mother of Dragons
Reaction score
Hades with the rest of my evil friends...
I got two words...Space Invaders yep I am that old and I've been through soooo many different consoles I'd be starting a short novel here lol! ;) My current console is an Xbox 360 and I love it!