Would you ever read a very long fantasy book?

NoelWell

The author of The God's Bracelet
Reaction score
Does anybody believe that the 700-900 page books, such as The Wheel of Time, The Legends of Drizzt, and the like, are too long?

The reason I am asking is because publishers seem to want books half that length. What do you think?

I am about to publish the first book of my trilogy The God's Bracelet, which is almost 800 pages long, but I may have to split it into 2 books due to this requirement. Is it reasonable?

wanderingmagus

King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D
Reaction score
I personally enjoy long fantasy books like the Lord of the Rings "trilogy" or the Silmarillion. It all has to do with who your target audience is.

bloodfiredeath

Die by the Sword
Reaction score
I always enjoyed the longer books, like mentioned in the OP.
Pretty sure in this day and age, they are probably too long for most people and unless they are made into a series, most people won't bother (or care).
The world indeed has lost some of it lustre.

JIM

zombie Turncoat
Reaction score
my favourite author is Raymond E Feist, so no, i have no issues with long fantasy books and series

hatchet13

The Nasty Tusken
Reaction score
In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
Joe Abercrombie is the fucking man when it comes to writing anything . His books are pretty big and I they rule .
I like to read them when I'm coming down off the PCP (so I only read like twice a year) as I lie under my Bantha 'Fluffy' and breathe in the lovely burning scent of a freshly raided sukka .

wanderingmagus

King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D
Reaction score
I always enjoyed the longer books, like mentioned in the OP.
Pretty sure in this day and age, they are probably too long for most people and unless they are made into a series, most people won't bother (or care).
The world indeed has lost some of it lustre.
I think it can be done if there's a film adaptation, like with Lord of the Rings.