What are we ACTUALLY Celebrating?

Druid of Lûhn

The Little Lamb.
Reaction score
With the church using "pagan" holidays, it meant that the people did not need to change their ways, which helped both the church (roman emperor at the time) and the people who were made to convert to christianism, after having watch them die.
The egg symbolises rebirth, but chocolate eggs comes from "the Chocolate Bunny" that was started at some point, originally as non religious (vegetales heh heh)

**Miss Wolf BTW**

wanderingmagus

King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D
Reaction score
Perhaps also with certain holy days, such as All Hallow's Day, the intent was to counteract "pagan" (that is, non-Christian) practices, which were known to occur regardless of how strict enforcement of religious law would be, with Christian practices.

Thus, All Hallow's Day counteracting Samhain, Resurrection Sunday counteracting OEstara, Christ's Mass countering Yuletide, etc.

OP
Dynan

Dynan

Reaction score
True, Mr. Greybeard. I should have been more concise. However, in retrospect, Reformation Day was a historically documented event, occurring during the early 1500s. All Saint's Day is a holiday commemorating holy figures, not one of rememberance of a specific event. Reformation Day could not have been intentionally set close to a Pagan holiday for conversion purposes, whereas All Saints Day could have, and most likely was.

I guess, who am I to say that those brought up within the Church feel particular ways regarding the holidays they celebrate? It's good to see people stand to solidly behind their faith. It certainly is an admirable attribute to have. Thank you, sir, for such a thought provoking discussion, and I wish you nothing but the best.

OP
Dynan

Dynan

Reaction score
I can definitely see that. Probably a little of both, Wanderingmagus. And, certainly a little consumerism. Though Valentine's day probably has the leg up on that one. And don't forget Mother's and Father's days...those are just pure Hallmark.

Druid of Lûhn

The Little Lamb.
Reaction score
Well, with Christmas sales starting over a month in advance, I think that the shops are trying to become truer to the Bible? heh heh No consumism at all...

wanderingmagus

Reaction score
imho, modern western society really is just capital-ism, the worship of money, for the most part. There isn't really anything that has true meaning anymore; the moneylenders have taken over the Father's house and made it a den of thieves.

This is even starting to be the case with a disproportionate number of Eastern societies, from the Buddhist temples catering to tourists to the Shinto shrines selling luck papers.

On the other hand, in less westernized societies religion still holds meaning; just go to isolated tribes where the shaman ISN'T doing it just for the money, or a small-town church where the pastor really believes what he's saying, or a village temple where the miko actually practice what they teach.

Druid of Lûhn

The Little Lamb.
Reaction score
Sometimes though, religion can be a danger, which has been proved in many wars related to religion. We had a replacement religion teacher (protestant) who was from the Congo, and he really believed in creation, and had some quite strong opinions. He told us that it was only since he was in Europe that he's been refraining from converting/obliging people to believe

Julie

Reaction score
I've run into quite a bit missionaries in Belgium, from Africa or the States..

wanderingmagus

Reaction score
in fact, sometimes they don't even have to be missionaries. anyone here heard of the Westboro Baptist Church?

0_61_320_100406_hc_roper.jpg
2979979221_22456b3312.jpg

btw, GO ANON! :D

From this:................................................................................To this:
westboro-baptist-church.jpg
westbchurch111_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Dynan

Dynan

Reaction score
Indeed...it makes me mad. I try not to pay attention in an attempt to save myself the frustration, but when the media blares over and out of every outpost (papers, TV, magazines, internet) news of the war (because when you really look at it, the middle east is up in arms over a difference of beliefs and have been for millenia...maybe not so much now with Lybia and Egypt, but certainly Palestine and Isreal and with much of the Muslim extremists promising death to heathen Americans...), religious supremest killings and hate crimes, burning various religious scriptures...it all seems so pointless to me, fighting over something so abstract. At least when you're fighting for individual rights, freedom and democracy, you get (one would sincerely hope) solid, lasting and tangible results--like rights, quality of life and economic prosper. *sigh* really. Humanity can be so stupid. Beautiful and compassionate, no doubt...but stupid and violent at our worst.