What are Gandalf's last words in Moria?

RavenRock

Reaction score
In Fellowship of the Ring, when Gandalf is hanging off the cliff in Moira, and Frodo is being restrained from running to him, what is the last thing that Gandalf says before he plunges into the darkness? He seems to say 3 words: "___ you fools?" I can never make it out. If anybody could tell me, I'd appreciate it.:faceit: :balrog:

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
Whehe, books don't make you smart, but they sure as hell make you look so :p

It's "run", as in "Run, you fools!".

Anakin

God Emperor
Reaction score
Whehe, books don't make you smart, but they sure as hell make you look so :p

It's "run", as in "Run, you fools!".

I want to debate on that...wasn't it actually four words? F*** off, you fools? Don't remember...

It was something with an 'f' like sorillion said...so maybe it is 'fly'...and I heard the fourth word just in my head...that happens more...

Firiath

Halfling barbarian
Reaction score
AFAIK he says "fly, you fools" in the film. The first time I heard him say it I didn't understand it either, but the subtitles say it's "fly".
And in the German version he says "flieht", which is the translation of "fly".

Anakin

God Emperor
Reaction score
you're right, I just checked the dutch translation and it's 'vlieg' which is the dutch translation of 'fly'! You should know that, Turambar, you're dutch yourself...If not...I fear about your knowledge in your own language...

Kakashi

Call me Deacon Blues
Reaction score
i had to use subtitles too. In the movie it is fly you fools. I don't feel like getting my books out, but it may be run in the book.

Lady Galeth

Reaction score
yeah it was 'fly,you fools' b/c those were his last words in the book and it was kept like that in the movie.

~Elladan~

A Elbereth Gilthoniel
Reaction score
"Fly you fools" is correct ~ unfortunately Ian McKellen tends to mumble a bit and often I can only understand what he's saying with either (a) volume turned right up, (b) subtitles or (c) knowledge of the book :)

Anakin

God Emperor
Reaction score
Well can't anybody slow the sound down...I have a special sound system on my dvd player which I can manipulate the sound of it in any way I want so with careful testing I figured it out without subtitles which again confirms what is actually said... 'fly you fools', (sorry that I thought it was F*ck Off...as Elladan said...he tends to mumble in the movies...)

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
Hrm.. mistake on my part, it seems. Always assumed he said "run", I presume...

Either way, that's what's been said in the books as well, so poo on me :(

lewy

Lewy the lethal lunatic!
Reaction score
In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
lol I always knew what he said as I watched it with Norwegian subtitles...
Unless I did I would never have understood a word of that mumbling he does all the time!:p
Shame I didn't see this thread before... :S