Video Games Hoarder or Trader?

Crouton

Reaction score
When it comes to video games, do you like to keep all the games you buy and see your collection grow larger and larger on your shelf, or do you buy them, play them and then trade them in for other games?

I personally like to keep them all. The only time I have traded in games was when I no longer had a console for those games, like when my old PS2 broke and I upgraded to PS3, I traded in my PS2 games. Now though I keep every game from every console. Even the ones I don't like that much. I guess I'm just a hoarder. But I take pride in my collection and how much it's grown over the years. I remember when I just had one PS3 game, the first one I ever got with my console.

Moo Guru

Reaction score
I hoard everything. I still have Spectrum ZX+2 games from the 80s somewhere ... and probably a working ZX lol.

Druid of Lûhn

The Little Lamb.
Reaction score
Hoarder, although I did sell my GameCube with Mario Kart Double Dash (best Mario Kart game ever, but the GameCube came with it) and Super Smash Bros. Melee, when I got the WII. At that point I had bought Mario Kart WII and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

All other games have been kept though.

Emelie

Queen of darkness
Reaction score
Hoard.. Same with books... I just cant let them go.. Unless its a reeeeeeeeeeally crappy thing, and then it has to be like really bad!

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
I'm a hoarder, loaner, loser. I like to have them in stock if I want to go back to them, I often loan games out to a couple dubious friends of mine, lately I haven't seen several of my games and because one of my friends lost their 3DS like three times because they are an idiot at parties they lost a few of my games too.

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
HOARDER!

It's the same with most things in my life, if I've enjoyed it once I'll keep it because chances are I'll enjoy it again later and I find that as one matures and gets older this fact remains true; those things that you enjoyed once, sure you might not enjoy them every day, but somewhere down the line you will again enjoy them - of course you also need to time to enjoy them and here people can often find that new things in their life simply dominate to the point where they don't have the time to revisit the past (and the desire might even never arise).

Things for me has to be really useless or lacking in any form of function (or just be outright bad) for me to get rid of them. Heck I've not played magic in years yet I've still kept the cards.

Personally I see many who trade one game for the next are either very casual where the game is just filling time and isn't a real driving interest (ie if they didn't have the game they'd do something else and not miss it) whilst others are those who are keen gamers, but who are on that line where they simply can't afford the next without selling the first (or their life situation or personal views are such that they can't "justify" the cost of one without losing the investment in the other). So often they could be hoarders or keepers of more, but life hasn't given them the option to do so (its my observation that many people, if not most people - esp those who grow up within a sedentary life style* - are natural hoarders of things that they enjoy/like/find valuable - if they are given the chance to hoard**)

*as opposed to nomadic
** note of course that this excludes people who are obsessive compulsive hoarders which is a separate matter.

ps I think Fion might be game hoarder ;)

Druid of Lûhn

The Little Lamb.
Reaction score
HOARDER!

It's the same with most things in my life, if I've enjoyed it once I'll keep it because chances are I'll enjoy it again later and I find that as one matures and gets older this fact remains true; those things that you enjoyed once, sure you might not enjoy them every day, but somewhere down the line you will again enjoy them - of course you also need to time to enjoy them and here people can often find that new things in their life simply dominate to the point where they don't have the time to revisit the past (and the desire might even never arise).

[...]

ps I think Fion might be game hoarder ;)

Yes, I have about six or seven girls hidden away in my cupboard.

Foin is most definitely a hoarder; he needs to take pictures in portrait mode to show them all to use. :D

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
I own one game and I have no idea where it is at the moment.

I hear by nominate Storm for a free session in gaming re-education and social correction.

Thankfully you can choose either Crouton or Myself to help you through this difficult time as you connect with your inner gaming self (I'd not advise starting with Foin, you've got to be at least level 20 before approaching high level game hoarding masters like that).

OP
Crouton

Crouton

Reaction score
I'm a hoarder, loaner, loser. I like to have them in stock if I want to go back to them, I often loan games out to a couple dubious friends of mine, lately I haven't seen several of my games and because one of my friends lost their 3DS like three times because they are an idiot at parties they lost a few of my games too.

I loan games out too. Currently one of my friends has my copy of Dragons Dogma. I'll let him have it a few more months (it is a big game after all) before I ask for it back.

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
I loan games out too. Currently one of my friends has my copy of Dragons Dogma. I'll let him have it a few more months (it is a big game after all) before I ask for it back.

Usually I tell people I'll loan them a game once I beat it but I can never get around to beating it. Like I still need to beat The Last Story and I know like three people who would probably want to play that, and now it is basically impossible to find a cheap copy over here.

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
Do it like the Lil B one where you flip through your games that you haven't played and call them classic but then say you haven't played them yet. I really like that video.