Two Towers Query

MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses
Reaction score
Ok when Sam rolls down the mountain outside the gates of Mordor and Frodo goes after him, two soldiers go and check out the dust.

Is one of those soldiers a woman???? I mean you can only see their eyes but that one looks so very feminine! And I have a hard time believeing that Sauron would let women into his army!

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall right the warriors there weren't Saurons (his were mostly orc) but the men from the far east. I don't think Sauron would oppose or promote women in his army provided they did what they needed to do. However I do think that the whole world of middle earth has a more male dominated society overall. Women aren't abused as such, but there are codes of what a man does and what a woman does - even in the people of Rohan where the women learn to defend themselves the army is still all male - which is why when the kings daughter goes to battle its under disguise.

So whilst Sauron might not care I think the men of the east would not send their women to war - especially when its war in lands that are so far removed from their own.

So in the case of the films its either just a case of a slipup story wise (ie a female actor) or just a case that when given less to look at its harder to tell male from female. There was a science pic shown around the net not a long while back where a very minor difference over two totally plain faces made them look like they were different genders just because of a minor difference - I can't find it at the moment however to show.

OP
MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses
Reaction score
Alright! That's basically what I thought too!

AlphaAlex

Official Forum Nuisance
Reaction score
talking about the movie?... its a movie.. could well have been a woman playing the gobbo.