Tolkien Related Tattoo

Reaction score
If you were to get a tattoo realated to Tolkien, what would it be, and where would you get it?

A few ideas are Tolkien's Signature, Your name written in the Sindarin script, the One Ring, etc.

Give your thoughts!

~Jeremiah

Radagast

Art House Member
Reaction score
I would get this symbol (see attachment) in black on my wrist. Small enough not to stand out, but large enough to look good.

OP
jeremiah.l.burns
Reaction score
Yeah. That's what I was thinking of when I said "Tolkien's Signature.

Good choice.

~Jeremiah:banana:

Taiba

The last Marag
Reaction score
I was thinking for a long time about getting my nickname tattooed somewhere on my person in Tengwar script. I still might someday, if I ever again have money for new tattoos.

OP
jeremiah.l.burns
Reaction score
aaron.j.cypher said:
Hi! From what I've heard i think that your tatoo idea is pretty cool.

Well thanks. You plan on getting one yourself, aaron?

Hey! Your name's like mine! You know, the whole "firstname.middleinitial.lastname" thing. Cool!

Eàmanë

formally Nevaeh
Reaction score
Well, if I was to get a tattoo, it'd probably be a symbol that relates to LOTR, or to Tolkien, or something. Ya know, maybe an elvish word, or the Tolkien signature, or something. Not sure.

OP
jeremiah.l.burns
Reaction score
If I may give a bit of advice on the getting of a tattoo...

-Make sure you know the subject matter well. This is not something you want as a fad...like a pierced ear. It will be there today. It will be there when you wake up tomorrow. Your tastes in culture, icons, interests and so forth can chage as easily as your tastes in food or anything else. When you wake up four years from now with that same image still on your body, will you still feel the same about it? This is the first and most important piece of advice I can give. It took me years to ultimately decide on a design I could live with for life.

-Make sure you get the tatto where you really want to get the tattoo. Don't get it somewhere just because it sounds hip to get it there. I personally got my tattoo (See avatar for design) on my lower left side of my leg, below the calf (calv...cav...whatever) muscle. I chose this spot because it didn't strike me as a particularly conspicuous area of my body. It could be easily hidden with a pair of pants or shown off with a pair of shorts. You will get into situations in your life where you think a tattoo may not be appropriate to show off, i.e., formal dress occasions, etc.

-Yes, you will feel pain. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.The part of your body you choose to get the tattoo on will determine the amount of pain you will feel, just as will your own tolerance for pain. My tattoo was what I would call "mild" on the pain meter, yet it's my one and only tattoo. If I had to compare the pain to something else, a sunburn that someone is scratching is a good comparison. Or, if you are a particularly hairy person on your arms or legs, picture this: A person takes tape to your hairy appendage, and then rips it off like a band-aid, tearing out hair. Now instead of that kind of pain...small...sharp...quick...being spread across the entire area of the size of a piece of tape, concentrate it to a needle point. Also, instead of the pain being almost immediately gone once the tape is gone, remember...that needle will be making contact for a long time. But the moment they lift it from your skin, the pain ceases. At least it did for me. It was nothing intolerable. Had the tattoo taken any longer, I stood a good chance of being comfortable enough to snooze. You get used to it. And every now and then the artist will stop drawing long enough to wipe...the liquid soaked cloth he/she wipes with for whatever reason feels ice cold on your skin. Whether it's due to the endorphins rushing to the area of the tattoo somehow reacting to the liquid, or perhaps the liquid is that cold...know this: it feels GOOOD. You'll want them to wipe more often.

-Check out the location (shop) that you are going to get the tattoo at. Scout your area thourghouly and be sure to feel comfortable with your choice of shops. Before you go in to get the acutal tattoo, stop in and ask plenty of questions. Good shops will be thrilled to settle your mind, because they want your business. Ask about procedures, ask to see equipment and samples of work. Ask about pricing options. When getting the tattoo, you should see your needle fresh in it's sealed package and it should be sterilized in an autoclave, which should turn key markings on the package a different color to prove they've been sterilized.

-FOLLOW AFTERCARE instructions, which should be provided after the completion of tattooing. http://www.newaddictiontattoos.com/aftercare.html

Ask me if you have any questions.

Tilion

Was never a
Reaction score
Some advice from me as a bearer of a Tolkien tattoo. If you don't know Tengwar (the writing style that Tolkien devised to write his languages in) then don't just go off and use something like the Tengwar transcriber thinking that, if the program says your name in Tengwar looks like this it must be ok! Don't. I know a thing or two about Tengwar and there are several things that a program like Tengwar Transcriber just can't take into account. ALWAYS check with someone who knows what they are talking about. You don't want to have this beautiful tattoo of "Mary and Mom and Hells Angels" or something like that in Tengwar and after a while have someone point out to you that there is a fault in it.

It's a good program though if you know what you're doing. I use it myself.

Last edited:

aaron.j.cypher

Aaron, King of the Flakes
Reaction score
jeremiah.l.burns said:
Well thanks. You plan on getting one yourself, aaron?

Hey! Your name's like mine! You know, the whole "firstname.middleinitial.lastname" thing. Cool!

i agree! it is cool... thats why i chose it!
anyhoo, i was considering getting a tatoo myself, but allas, i decided not to. although i might in the future.
but hay, where did you get the idea for the "firstname.middleinitial.lastname" thing?