This year's short story contest...are we still on?

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Soooo... we had plans to do another one of these this year in June. I think Druid was going to run it but he hasn't been on in awhile so I'm guessing he's too busy. If there's interest, I'll organize/start it this year until such time as Druid returns to us. In light of that:

Calling all scribes! Stories will be 5000 words or less, prompts for writing (suggestions appreciated) will go up June 15 and stories should be posted no later than July 15. I also need people interested in judging. Judges will have From July 16 to August 16 to read and judge all of the stories. Hopefully this schedule will avoid all of the busy times for the students. I will provide some kind of (probably cheesy) prize for the winner, unless we have a talented TFFer who volunteers to donate something cool (like a new avatar/banner or badge for example) instead. So sign up in this thread if you would like to contribute in some way, shape or form. Hopefully we can kick some life back into this place...lol.

AlphaAlex

Official Forum Nuisance
Reaction score
once upon a time there lived an alex and he farted and trolled this thread.. the end

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Thank you for entering Alex ...lol. :)

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
What prompts have we had before so far? New magic system and pictures?

I kind of want to do something like the pictures again but instead we use music to inspire us. Also maybe a random draw system to give each person a song.

anonymous

the king
Reaction score
well, I aint no writer, but I would like to give it a try, I have some ideas in that messy head of mine.

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Yay! There is interest! :) Hopefully we'll get more people as well. Would everybody like to combine pictures and songs? Each entrant could submit one picture and one song to me that they would like to see up for inspiration and we'll post them all for everybody. Each entrant could choose three prompts (whatever combination of pics and songs they like) and write a story about that. How does that sound?

anonymous

the king
Reaction score
Yay! There is interest! :) Hopefully we'll get more people as well. Would everybody like to combine pictures and songs? Each entrant could submit one picture and one song to me that they would like to see up for inspiration and we'll post them all for everybody. Each entrant could choose three prompts (whatever combination of pics and songs they like) and write a story about that. How does that sound?

well at the moment my insparation song is [video=youtube;UsnRQJxanVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsnRQJxanVM[/video] lolz

grumpycroc

Reaction score
So I am supposed to write a story about anonymous' song and picture, or am I to find my own song and picture and write about that?

olivia_the_lamb

Staff member
Reaction score

Not entirely sure I get it... so could you elaborate >_>

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone taking part submits one picture and one song to SJ.

SJ then posts up all the pictures and songs and each person taking part picks 3 items from the list in any combination (ergo you could do 3 songs, or 3 pictures or a mix up to 3).

Then you write your story based upon those prompts.

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Everyone taking part submits one picture and one song to SJ.

SJ then posts up all the pictures and songs and each person taking part picks 3 items from the list in any combination (ergo you could do 3 songs, or 3 pictures or a mix up to 3).

Then you write your story based upon those prompts.
This is exactly what I was thinking :)
I think combining the prompts gives us some more flexibility. Some people find it harder to use songs than pictures and vice versa

bloodfiredeath

Die by the Sword
Reaction score
Hi Guys....I am interested in having another go at this.
Will start to look for songs and pictures today (maybe).
Are we going for straight fantasy based pics and music? or are we going to mix it up a bit.

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
I'd like to say mix it up, maybe we could try to incorporate more modern themes or ideas into the writing that way. At the same time there is like medieval fantasy but also fantasy like Shadowrun that is a pretty good example of stretching horizons. So we could say loosely fantasy themed writing but inspiration media can be anything, but keep in mind you're trying to inspire the competition, not leave them at a dead end with a picture of a hippo and a song by the Ying Yang twins.