The need of a religion or a philosophy

Drac Critius

Radical Subjectivist
Reaction score
Mububban said:
As far as I know, Wicca's "dogma" pretty much revolves around "be nice to people or the universe will kick your ass."

Yea, but it's no different than the dogma in religions like Christianity, just replace the universe part with god- "Be nice to others or God will kick your a**".

Mububban said:
There's nothing in it that says "Hate non-believers, stone gay people to death, convert people who don't believe by force" etc.

God never said to "hate non-believer" cause that would be judging, which we are told not to do. Remember, man is the one who stoned people, "ye who is without sin cast the first stone" is what Jesus said, right?

Mububban said:
Possibly what Doloniel meant is that Wicca doesn't seem to have the militaristic aspect that many religions have buried in them somewhere.

If you were referring to some Muslim beliefs then I’d agree with you. But I don’t recall Jesus (who came to point out brutality) ever forcing his beliefs upon anyone, it was rather the other way, hence his crucifixion.

I believe that Pagan beliefs (like Wicca) are no less dogmatic than your major religions. Dogma is beliefs/teachings that are believed to be essential to life. It is a doctrine (set of beliefs) that is claimed to be true within groups, whether it be written or unwritten.

For example-

Wiccans---- spells, magik/magic, karma, 3 fold, spirits, mother earth, God/dess, herbalism, rituals, symbolism, charms, energies, EST. (hmmm…Looks like a set/doctrine to me)

Bible goers and organized religions---- Heaven, hell, the bible, prayer, holy water, sacrament, exorcists, baptism, resurrection, reincarnation, EST. (Also looks like a set/doctrine to me)

In reality, we all have our own set of beliefs and/or superstitions. It only becomes dogma when we state it as fact or preach it to others.

IMHO,
DC

P.S. Dogma is dogma, no matter how much you sugar coat it. ;)

Angel of Chaos

Music House Member
Reaction score
Personally my belief is that religion is merely a way to control the masses, for example:

The Egyptians - Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe they had many many gods, but the Pharaoh of the time always was the Highest God, therefore if revolution was ever formed and they tried to overthrow their Pharaoh, they would be going against their very beliefs in doing so, preventing them form it.

And in Modern society look at what people do, Bush uses God in speeches to make himself popular with good american christians.

volksmenner

practitioner of æsthetics
Reaction score
no matter what you call it, philosophy...religion...or what have you, you are bound by the limits of human flesh. one can never achieve ultimate freedom. second, civilization is defined by established precepts, be it guidelines, laws, principles, rules suggestions or a philosophy, without it, humans fail to meet their potential and are nothing more than animals, with only instictual drives to motivate them. humankind needs boundaries or limits by which to live.

about the purple faeries analogy, ancient and even moreso modern religions, tend to be based on some type of reality, some type of basis in fact, and not complete fancy. the scientific and mathematical probilities of such an occurance is so close to nihl, it's impossible. the same cannot be said of the notion of intelligent design.

Running Wolf

Join the Madness
Reaction score
rvsp: You're right!
We need philosophy and religion and laws. Religion is a kind of law and philosophy is a kind of interpretation of law. We need it, to live with each other in freedom and peace. If everyone would be peaceful, we wouldn't need this, but if one starts to break something, it will end up in chaos. We need laws and phlosophy.
I prefer philosophy.

volksmenner

practitioner of æsthetics
Reaction score
how does the philosophy of atheism work for you? in your everyday life, on your preception of the future, ect? what are the benefits in adopting such a philosophy? is there any substance behind your statement?

Skyanide

The Big Meanie
Staff member
Reaction score
rvsp said:
how does the philosophy of atheism work for you? in your everyday life, on your preception of the future, ect? what are the benefits in adopting such a philosophy? is there any substance behind your statement?
It's a philosophy that people's actions, whether good or bad, are the responsibility of the individual, not caused by or blamed on non-existant entities. The "good" or "bad" that people are the result of an individual's conscence.

Life, and events are results of natural and scientifically quantifiable (whether or not it is explainable with current technology) and not by a supreme being pulling strings.

Drac Critius

Radical Subjectivist
Reaction score
Skyanide said:
It's a philosophy that people's actions, whether good or bad, are the responsibility of the individual, not caused by or blamed on non-existant entities. The "good" or "bad" that people are the result of an individual's conscence.

Life, and events are results of natural and scientifically quantifiable (whether or not it is explainable with current technology) and not by a supreme being pulling strings.

Hmm…that sounds more like non-theism to me.

Regards, DC

Late correction: Actually, it sounds a lot like Atheistic Existentialism

Last edited: