The Instruction Book of Life

Anrisa Ryn

Author, artist, gamer
Reaction score
As the saying goes, "Life doesn't come with an instruction booklet." Well, I think it needs to!

If you could write a chapter, or book, in a series entitled "The Instruction Book of Life," what would your chapter, or book, be about?
Mine would cover the importance of knowledge and include some things that decent people should know about everyday life. Perhaps I would cover things like "How to budget money" or "how to run a washing machine." Maybe even cover the importance of personal hygiene. Also, it would cover very basic common knowlege things you learn in first grade like the fact that the earth orbits the sun.

Mububban

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Arguably the best lesson I ever learnt as a kid is "The difference between a Want and a Need." I'm now 33 and it's served me well, and continues to. And I see people far older than myself who struggle through life because they can't grasp this simple concept.

Emelie

Queen of darkness
Reaction score
Well, important of knowledge would be a good thing, id probably wanna put a chapter about being yourself, acceptance, tolerance, openness, be nice to thy neighbour and all that.

Emelie

Queen of darkness
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaand, a very important chapter: IT ALWAYS GETS BETTER! i cannot even begin to explain how important that phrase is. Cause it really does get better. Even how deep down in the shit you think you are. After rain comes sunshine and all that. Suicide is the easy way out and never ever, the solution to a problem or a depression.

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
I think my chapter would be about relativity. I feel that people (including myself) are living our lives as individuals, but forget about the greater scheme of things. The greater scheme of things doesn't care about us. Or hardly, anyway. There's millions upon millions of people just like me. Considering the fact that, on the whole, my life could be a lot worse, I can't be too unhappy about it all. And, if life isn't about me, then I might as well make sure it's about us. The whole lot of us. Being the minuscule sprocket in the great machine that makes up society and the world.

Of course, you will be that sprocket regardless, but grinding against the turn of the gears of the general direction might not just damage me, but wouldn't exactly help in the greater scheme of things either...

OP
Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn

Author, artist, gamer
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaand, a very important chapter: IT ALWAYS GETS BETTER! i cannot even begin to explain how important that phrase is. Cause it really does get better. Even how deep down in the shit you think you are. After rain comes sunshine and all that. Suicide is the easy way out and never ever, the solution to a problem or a depression.

I like this one. I would read that chapter over and over. xD

OP
Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn

Author, artist, gamer
Reaction score
I think my chapter would be about relativity. I feel that people (including myself) are living our lives as individuals, but forget about the greater scheme of things. The greater scheme of things doesn't care about us. Or hardly, anyway. There's millions upon millions of people just like me. Considering the fact that, on the whole, my life could be a lot worse, I can't be too unhappy about it all. And, if life isn't about me, then I might as well make sure it's about us. The whole lot of us. Being the minuscule sprocket in the great machine that makes up society and the world.

Of course, you will be that sprocket regardless, but grinding against the turn of the gears of the general direction might not just damage me, but wouldn't exactly help in the greater scheme of things either...

I like the idea you put forward, how going against the gears is also good. That would be an excellent chapter to spur people to be the change they want to see.

Sparrow

Reaction score
My chapter would be titled, For All We Are Is Dust in the Wind.

I would explain that you are nothing, all that you do in your life means nothing; that you were made from dust and you will return to dust. Glory in the fact that everything is interconnected so it's all dust in the wind... and since this would be an audiobook the Kansas song would play in the background... I'd also have a half-off coupon at the end of the chapter for a six pack of Sam Adams. There's no reason that we can't be happy dust.

Crouton

Reaction score
My chapter would be simple "What the hell is the stock market and how does it work"

Someone needs to simplify that crap. I still have no idea what's going on there.

OP
Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn

Author, artist, gamer
Reaction score
My chapter would be titled, For All We Are Is Dust in the Wind.

I would explain that you are nothing, all that you do in your life means nothing; that you were made from dust and you will return to dust. Glory in the fact that everything is interconnected so it's all dust in the wind... and since this would be an audiobook the Kansas song would play in the background... I'd also have a half-off coupon at the end of the chapter for a six pack of Sam Adams. There's no reason that we can't be happy dust.

What a depressing chapter!

My chapter would be simple "What the hell is the stock market and how does it work"

Someone needs to simplify that crap. I still have no idea what's going on there.

I agree. I would like to understand it, too!

OP
Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn

Author, artist, gamer
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, maybe I would also write a chapter called "Don't be a dick to people." xD

Sparrow

Reaction score

It's not as crazy as it seems... it's part business, part emotion, and lots of luck.

It's sort of like gambling, only the odds are way better than Vegas.

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Lots of great chapters here but I'd add one called "Don't forget to have humour". Life's too short to be taken with total seriousness!

Sparrow

Reaction score
Maybe you can explain it to me one day.

I bought Apple stock way back when it traded at around $25 a share... and sold it when it hit $30, thinking I was so good at picking stocks. OMG, if I had only kept the stock and sold it now I would quite literally be able to pay off my mortgage with money left over to take an insane vacation and visit most of the places I've always wanted to go to. It makes me sick to even think about it right now.

My money is in a 401k program we have through work so it's a bit limited on what I can, and cannot do.

It's pretty basic though, you have various mutual fund bundles which are put together in such a way as to diversify your exposure to market pressures, and then you have bonds and treasury securities which yield very little but are a safe haven when you think stocks have tanked or are going to retreat, and of course you have precious metals... which are so pricey right now I don't even consider them.

My best advice for you, advice I should have taken myself but didn't:), is start your retirement account when you're young and get in the habit of contributing to it every month. It adds up faster than you might expect. You're young so take some risks and read some articles on which way the market is going... but beware, quite often even the pros lose money.