Table Top Gaming.

projectlongstreet

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new the boards here but I thought I would contribute right away. I thought it would be fun to discuss some table top RPGs, favorite characters, favorite systems and things of that nature. I have been playing D&D and similar games for nearly twelve years now and have compiled quite a few stories, characters, and systems played.

The group I normally played with has been a system called Savage Worlds for the better portion of the past five to six years now. It has, by far, been our favorite system to play. There is only a single book needed to play a base game of just about any genre, which is nice. There are then multiple supplement books which are more genre specific and have more options for playing in that specific setting.

I have not yet gotten around to playing 4th edition D&D. Has anybody had a chance to play it, and if so what are some of the good and bad qualities to it?

Kelmourne

The Savage Hippy
Reaction score
A Pirate city in international cyberspace
I haven't played it, but I hear 4th edition D&D is alot more like WoW, in the sense that more abilities are combat oriented, the wizard gets less utility spells, and there is generally a lesser focus on role playing and more of a focus on killing things.

All in all, most people prefer version 3.5

OP
P

projectlongstreet

Reaction score
That is the version I most preferred to play, but the problem I ran into and will more than likely run into again is the fact that we had a hodge podge of 3.0 and 3.5 books mixed together. The slight tweaks in the feats, and classes usually ended up giving us issues depending on what book the person had at one time or another.

JIM

zombie Turncoat
Reaction score
ive played D&D from 1st edition all the way thru to 4th (realms, dark sun, greyhawk, dragonlance, planescape, ravenloft)
warhammer,
warhammer 40k
battletech
shadowrun
twilight 2000
ninja turtles
middle earth

OP
P

projectlongstreet

Reaction score
And which of those systems did you enjoy playing in? Or were there any that you just absolutely hated for some reason?

Kelmourne

The Savage Hippy
Reaction score
A Pirate city in international cyberspace
That is the version I most preferred to play, but the problem I ran into and will more than likely run into again is the fact that we had a hodge podge of 3.0 and 3.5 books mixed together. The slight tweaks in the feats, and classes usually ended up giving us issues depending on what book the person had at one time or another.

I have the same thing with my group but I find that as long as we use the players handbook 3.5 there's usually no issues. I would think that druid and ranger prestige classes from 3.0 would be difficult to use because of the radically different animal companion system.

OP
P

projectlongstreet

Reaction score
I concur, and there were certain tweaks I disliked to some of the feats. Like spell focus dipping from +2 to a +1. I had hoped that the 3.5 would have changed the crafting feats for magical items. I never quite understood how making a magic item took XP, rather than gave it.

AlphaAlex

Official Forum Nuisance
Reaction score
Used to play the entire Warhammer range.. still have about $10,000 worth of miniatures.. rofl. The only warhammer game I play now is Mordhiem. But the old school 'Talisman' game got re-released and that's my game of choice.. mates love it and its good to play when drinking.

OP
P

projectlongstreet

Reaction score
I never got into Warhammer for the very reason it cost so much to play haha. I did however play some Mordhiem and did enjoy that. I played a group of Goblins, and suffice it to say my own army killed itself as much as it was killed by others. It was at the very least fun haha. I cannot quite remember if I have ever played Talisman.

Druid of Lûhn

The Little Lamb.
Reaction score
I've played DnD 3.5 and have DnD 4.

But I can't really compare because I played 3.5 once and I DM for 4. But it's good (don't play WoW either).

5 is coming out soon.

Herald Of Woe

Scourge of the seven seas
Reaction score
I play Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Necromunda, Inquisitor, A Song of Blades and Heros, D&D, HeroQuest, Space Crusade, Space Hulk, Deadlands

OP
P

projectlongstreet

Reaction score
A deadlands player? Well we shall have to discuss some stories of the weird west for sure.

5 is coming out soon, as in D&D 5? Please say it isn't so....