SPOILER deathly hallows

Nynaeve

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><
Reaction score
book 7..what to say

I hate how the book was so predictable. It seems almost like she made Harry live in order to please her readers, but to me that ending just doesn't feel right. Even with Voldemort gone and defeated, Harry will always be set apart from everyone else. His life has always been filled with purpose, but with Voldemort dead what's left for him? There's no one left that he can identify with, no one that fully understands what he's been through. Before he's always had his goal in front of him, something to give him strength to get through his difference from the rest of the world, but without this to keep him going he is truly alone. I think it would've been more appropriate for him to die and be reunited with those he loved (his parents, sirius, dumbledore) and to truly be happy, once and for all. That's just me.

I'm bad doing a double post, but I'm lazy and didn't want to edit, I hate editing quotes. :halo:

I liked it. All his life, he had this fame from something truly awful happening to him. He never knew what he did, or wanted to be famous, all it did was seperate him from society somewhat, put him in the spotlight and make him an oddity. It was like this dark cloud hanging over his head, particulary in the last couple books. All he wanted was to have a family, and be a normal person. And that's what happened. He could not get his parents back, but he had a happy life, surrounded by people he loves. He's no longer 'the chosen one', he can finally do what he wants.

Alchemist

The Fighters Guide House Member
Reaction score
I'm bad doing a double post, but I'm lazy and didn't want to edit, I hate editing quotes. :halo:

I liked it. All his life, he had this fame from something truly awful happening to him. He never knew what he did, or wanted to be famous, all it did was seperate him from society somewhat, put him in the spotlight and make him an oddity. It was like this dark cloud hanging over his head, particulary in the last couple books. All he wanted was to have a family, and be a normal person. And that's what happened. He could not get his parents back, but he had a happy life, surrounded by people he loves. He's no longer 'the chosen one', he can finally do what he wants.

Like Nyn said, Harry did want to be a hero, he wanted a simple life with family, its what he always wanted, Remember the mirror of erised? It showed him surrounded by family and loved ones, not by admirers. His was famous all his life for one thing or the other, he wants a family life.

Again I state; I love this book. Best of them all, and thats saying something.

Alchemist

Reaction score
One last thing. Harry drove me INSANE. He never listens. Never. Ron and Hermione always tell him to do things the smart way, and he never takes their advice. Then he always ends apologizing and feeling bad for being such an idiot. It drove me CRAZY. I don't know why Ron and Hermione put up with him. There is nothing special about Harry. Without Ron and Hermione Harry would be nowhere. Everyone's so in love with Harry, they neglect all of the other characters who are stronger, smarter, braver, etc. I HATE HIM!!

Did we read the same book? Ron flaked out on Harry, Hermione and Ron depended on Harry for plans, and even Hermione's plan to go somewhere ended up being a dumb idea. Harry said to go to Hogwarts for the other Horcrux but Hermione said not to, Harry said there was such things as the Deathly Hallows, Hermione denied their existence. And How is Harry not brave?

it was awesome, but sadly, the best part was when hedwig died :D

.... Bastard.....:(

Árëlin Milloway

Toast Tiger
Reaction score
Finished it this mornig, as I was the last person in the family allowed to read it (rest of them payed :p) -SO I read the whole series from the beginning during the last week, so it all ... conected up perfectly :D...

I really like most of the book, I was almost crying so many times (and laughing out loud at others :D) ['ear! 'ear!] It was so sad with the twins ...(one min. silence __________)
But I think the end, was... a good way to round everything up, althought I wanted Harry to die, ans Snape to live.... (I love Snape, always have, even when he was supposed to be evil, I love him)

Honestly, I think that as she started up writing a children's book, and ended up with this... it's awsome! :D

Lord_Croanan

King and Conquerer
Reaction score
Spoilers...I know its in the title, but just in case

Just finished, and I think it would physically immpossible for her to have ended it any other way. Fate would have not allowed her too.

Anyways, I did like it a lot, glad that Harry and Ginny married, as did Ron and Hermonie, and the kids were perfect. I was sad at all the great characters who had to die, and secretly happy that the Malfoys are alive. Strange, I always disregarded the rabid fan hoards who claimed he was a horcrux, but, it worked out.

Can't wait to read her next book, whatever that may be.

Nox

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Whatever the next book will be we won't know she wrote it, she sed she was done and if she wrote anything else it will be some short children stories and she's going to use a different name.

I was quite dissapointed in this book, I didn't find out what I wanted to find out, too many loose ends, many of my friends bealive and I agree that she jsut used this book to kill off everybody, the epiloge was just horrible, at first I thought there was some mistake and the end somehow got changed whit some cheap fanfiction ending...

What ware Lily and Jameses and trios occupations?
What happend to the rest of characters?
Where was Fawkes?
How did the sword get back in the hat?
Who was the person who used magic later in life?

I've got more...

BlackScorpion

Eternal Idiot
Reaction score
I finally read the book! Stupid book shop had done something wrong with the reservations. Which meant that I either had to throw away my deposit or wait patiently. Not really in a mood to throw away money, I waited and got the book finally in the late afternoon of Tuesday. Anyhow, it read easily thank goodness and even though I felt reluctant to getting near the end, I liked it.

But I must agree with the posts about the bad epilogue: the book would have been better if Rowling had just left out the 19 years after part and had just ended with the last chapter. Those last five pages were just too much, naming their kids to Dumbledore and all, I thought I was going to have a fit! It was all too soft and it just blew the whole thing. So I just quickly tried to forget about those last five pages.

But leaving that part out, I thought it was very good. Already in the last book, when Snape killed Dumbledore, I just wouldn't believe Snape to have gone 'bad' after all. And there were certain things in this latest book which already told me that my faith was going to be rewarded (even though he did die in the end - but that I also expected since book 6). The fact that he 'punished' Ginny and Neville by sending them to help Hagrid, that was just too obvious a hint of where his true loyalties were laying.

One thing I couldn't follow though, the whole explanation of Harry about who the true owner of the Elder Wand was. How could Draco have been the true owner if he had not killed Dumbledore? That's just a small thing that I just couldn't follow...

Last edited:

comfan

Reaction score
I agree with most of the viewpoints about the deaths of the major characters but to me Dobby's death was the most poignant becauce of the circumstances in which it happened. I think that Tonks wanted to be with Remus because she was worried that he may act rashly because of of him being a werewolf and how he is accepted.And I very much agree with the epilogue being very lame.I liked the book but I don't know if I would call it the best of the bunch.

Lady Aria

Daughter of the Stars
Reaction score
I can't say anything bad about the book. It was wonderful, I laughed, I was near sobs by the end of the book and I just absolutely loved it. My only concern was if Harry would die and when he came back all was right in the world. I loved Bellatrixs Vs. Molly and the ending. I wish she had done more with the epilogue. Like what Harry and the Gang did for a living, the new minister, new head master, ect. all in all 10/10, five stars, hands down best book ever. :)

Alchemist

Reaction score
I can't say anything bad about the book. It was wonderful, I laughed, I was near sobs by the end of the book and I just absolutely loved it. My only concern was if Harry would die and when he came back all was right in the world. I loved Bellatrixs Vs. Molly and the ending. I wish she had done more with the epilogue. Like what Harry and the Gang did for a living, the new minister, new head master, ect. all in all 10/10, five stars, hands down best book ever. :)

at www.the-leaky-cauldron.org there was an link to a recent interview with Rowling. She said she purposefully left if vague, that cramming all that information into that last bit seemed unnatural and would not flow properly.
She also has said that eventually, after her break, she will be writing an Encyclopedia type book with more information on the series and even the epilogue.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20001720/
that is the interiview, if you just want to know what happens after, go to page four and read until you find it.

chimera_789

Queen of Air and Darkness
Reaction score
I thought it was great; a fitting ending, and I kinda miss it.

Yes, it was predictable, but it's always been predictable. It's presentation that counts, not whether or not you can trick/surprise me, which doesn't happen often to anyone whose read/watched alot of books/movies.

Thought with #5 and especially #6 she was kinda slipping, so I'm glad to see that she was back in her best form for the final book.

Major gripe - modern novelists it seems have no appreciation for falling action in a story. They put the climax(es) running up to the last pages and leave you hanging and stuffed full of adrenalin. I need (especially if I've bothered to follow you for a full seven books) more exposition on the future of the characters now that major plot has been dealt with. (Not just some cutesy send up) I disagree entirely that this would not have fit with the rest to have had a real epilogue. After the breakneck pace and big finish you are supposed to slow down and level off so I can finish the series peacefully. It's called closure, and its necessary for a series that was built entirely around one major conflict. For something like the Sopranos, which was always only meant to represent one little slice out of a life in the mafia, it genius to end abrubtly and without resolution, because there is no central conflict --the story is ongoing, life for the family existed before the portion excerpted and presented in the show, and it will go on in much the same way afterward. Harry Potter is not like that, there has been a very specific arc with a very specific end point since the very beginning --so tying up the characters stories and lives at the end (in other words having a conclusion) lets me know how they have dealt with the ultimate affects of their great struggle which is now over.

Kenshin

Drifter
Reaction score
for me, overall, great book. i thought the plot was exciting because they were in such a bad situation, and i was always curious to see how they overcame that problem. The deaths were very realistic and that was just fine, i didnt like how remus and tonks died, because of their child. I thought it was ok that fred died, but i was pretty sad about that. I liked how Neville got courageous, and i had a pretty good feeling Snape was a good man. I thought hedwig dieing sucked. I never really liked mad-eye much so that was ok. The ending was nice, i like how everyone got married.

good book :D

hendy

Reaction score
Taken from an interview from JK She answers many questions:
http://the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/7/30/j-k-rowling-web-chat-transcript

"Harry and Ron work for the Ministry of Magic as Aurors. They have revolutionised the Auror Department, and Kingsley Shacklebolt makes Harry department head"

Hermione it says "Hermione works for the Ministry and is "pretty high up" in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and has ensured the eradication of oppressive, pro pure-blood laws, although she began her post-Hogwarts career by working in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, where she is instrumental in greatly improving life for house-elves and their ilk.

"Following Hogwarts, Ginny joins the Holyhead Harpies and, after spending a few years on the team as a celebrated player, later retires to raise her family and becomes Senior Quidditch correspondent at the Daily Prophet"