Short story contest

Black Tattoo

The Corruptor
Reaction score
I'm sorry, guys. But I'm going to have to back out. I thought I'd have time to whip up a short story but, thanks to maddening scheduals at work, my beginning is as far as I've gotten and there's very little hope I'll have time to add more. :(

I wish everyone else luck though! Hopefully I'll at least have time to read :D

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Awww... that's too bad BT but RL has to come first before this kind of fun.... maybe you can finish your story when you have time and post it eventually anyway so we can read it? :)

Druid of Lûhn

The Little Lamb.
Reaction score
I would just like to point out that I wrote my Short Story only yesterday, and it had no written planning.

So it wasn't a last-minute thing, as I had it ready in my head, but it is not a complete version. I will try to post an edited version before the 20th, but I'm going to Berlin on Wednesday ('till Friday) so that's three days when I can't.

Greybeard

Geezer
Reaction score
My teaser:

"You may not remember me, but I'm...."

"Per," I said, interrupting. "I remember."

He nodded, shuffled his feet. "This is my brother-in-law, Winoc."

I nodded at the big one. "Brewer. I can smell it on you. What's happened?"

"I had hoped you could tell me."

So I crouched on my heals in the dark and held the candle up near the girl. Not healthy, that much I could see at a glance. Skin waxy, hair limp. She didn't react when I ran a hand across her forehead or when I pinched her earlobe. The pinpricks of her pupils didn't change whether the candle was near or far. Nor did she move her face except to close her mouth to swallow.

Leaning close, I sniffed at her mouth, then kissed her and tasted my own lips. When I looked up both men were scowling.

I told them the worst, thinking that Winoc at least would understand. "Honeysuckle, hazelnut, green apple." Foul, vile thing to do to a child! "And strong enough that I can taste it on the victim's lips."

~~~~~

I'll want to transfer it to my Kindle and read it once before posting the whole thing.

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
My teaser:

"You may not remember me, but I'm...."

"Per," I said, interrupting. "I remember."

He nodded, shuffled his feet. "This is my brother-in-law, Winoc."

I nodded at the big one. "Brewer. I can smell it on you. What's happened?"

"I had hoped you could tell me."

So I crouched on my heals in the dark and held the candle up near the girl. Not healthy, that much I could see at a glance. Skin waxy, hair limp. She didn't react when I ran a hand across her forehead or when I pinched her earlobe. The pinpricks of her pupils didn't change whether the candle was near or far. Nor did she move her face except to close her mouth to swallow.

Leaning close, I sniffed at her mouth, then kissed her and tasted my own lips. When I looked up both men were scowling.

I told them the worst, thinking that Winoc at least would understand. "Honeysuckle, hazelnut, green apple." Foul, vile thing to do to a child! "And strong enough that I can taste it on the victim's lips."

~~~~~

I'll want to transfer it to my Kindle and read it once before posting the whole thing.

:) Oh hurry up and POST it already!!!!!!!!!!

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha

Just a heads up. I'll be late to the game. Say.... Friday? I'm trying to squeeze in though, with one result or another. It might not be polished to a shine. But I'm still fully committed :)

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Yay Tur! I was beginning to think Druid and I were the only brave ones! :p

Dreamscaper

Royal Hamster Wrangler
Reaction score
Going to try to pull something together at the last second, the last few weeks have been odd.

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Everybody's gonna post at the last minute :)