Season 2, Episode 1: The Heroes Return

OP
I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun

Midnight Demon
Reaction score
Shogun and Lillith were joined on their way to the class by Kenshin. The three of them didn't share many words, they were all a little too focused on the upcoming tournament, and learning to survive in it, to be bothered with small talk. They were the first to enter, but Shogun knew the others would be joining them soon enough. On the board there was a list of eight elements and the word weaknesses in bold. Shogun, Lillith, and Kenshin took their seats and quickly wrote down what was on the board.

Shogun wondered exactly how it was that they were going to learn to defend against magic without getting fried. But his mind returned to that big beast fighter from before. With a single punch he'd beaten a massive fireball with no harm to himself. If someone with that primal a style could do it, why not highly disciplined warriors like them? Shogun had punched out mages before sure, but the main reason he was here remained as Arlo, the only Gato magus he was really concerned with. But what a guy to be worried about...

Dragn9

Sorcerer Supreme
Reaction score
Classes today went on without any interruptions, which Dragn thought, was a good thing. He had been attending classes but wasn’t really paying any real attention to the materials being taught. He had other things on his mind and was unable to concentrate on the lessons. The bell rang and Dragn was surprised to realize that it was already lunch.

He headed towards the cafeteria, it was chaotic and loud as usual. He picked up something to eat and sat at the regular table. Shogun was there and Dragn had been about to approach him but seeing as though Shogun was “preoccupied” with the new girl Jeze, Dragn held off his questions for a more suitable time. He finished up his food and wandered the halls for a while. He then headed to class as lunch was over.

Sitting in his History of Magic class Dragn found it hard not to concentrate on the lesson, the professor although he was old and bitter often had interesting things to teach. He spoke for the first half hour then allowed the students to break off into partners to discuss the quests of an old mage by the name of Samuel Graybeard. He was a loony mage, in Dragn’s opinion, who tried to discredit the use of magical items in casting. After they came to the conclusion that the only reason Graybeard did not like magic items was because he was incapable of using them, and he saw this as an unfair advantage. Dragn laughed at this that was the point, to have an advantage over your enemy. The bell rang signalling the end of classes.

Dragn walked over to his locker and as he was exchanging his books he had an odd feeling someone was watching him. He swung around to find the boy from yesterday standing there staring at him. Dragn looked at him sideways, “Gin?” the boy smiled “Can I help you with something?” Dragn asked. “Nope, just wanted to see what you were up to today.” Gin replied. Dragn shrugged his shoulders “Probably the usual stuff” the captain of the magic team then turned back pulled out a book then closed the locker door.

He stood there for a second placing the ward then turned back to Gin. But as he did this he noticed some people down the hall. Shogun, Lillith and Kenshin were there. They were entering Confessors classroom. “Excuse me” Dragn said looking over Gin’s shoulder. “I need to do something, I’ll see you around.” With that Dragn brushed past the guy and headed towards the others. He hoped he wasn’t late for the training session with Confessor. Gin however had an angry look on his face but did not follow suit, instead he stood staring at Dragn’s locker for a few minutes before turning in the opposite direction and walking off.

Upon entering the room, he noticed the others had taken their seats as Confessor sat at her desk, there were words on the board and they were jotting it down. He nodded towards Confessor then walked over and took a seat by the others. He pulled open one of his notebooks and turned to the section on defence. He glanced over his notes and began comparing them to hers.

After he was done he noticed Shogun was finished writing down his notes. And it seemed they would be waiting for more people before beginning. Dragn leaned over, "Shogun, did you happen to have time to look over those notes I gave you?"

OP
I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun

Midnight Demon
Reaction score
As Shogun finished writing down everything on the board Dragn leaned over to him, "Shogun, did you happen to have time to look over those notes I gave you?"

Shogun was glad Dragn remembered, because he sure as hell wouldn't have. Shogun hadn't gone over the notes in as much detail as he'd have liked, but he had given them the once over. "Yeah, I'd been meaning to talk to you about that. There's a lot of it that I'm not sure I understand, one section in particular I couldn't even make out. I think I'm going to need to go over it some more, but from what I can tell it's going to require a lot of visualization training."

Visualization was an important part of any martial practice. From forms training in kung fu to shadow boxing in the western style of boxing. However visualization wasn't limited to imagining an opponent. It could be used before or after a fight to bring your heart rate to a desired level, it could be used to help perfect a form, or in some cases, it could be used to help students learn to focus and master the more mysterious techniques available in the martial arts.

This was a vital element of what were known as Ki breaks. Ki breaks required a martial artist to break an object without damaging the numerous things between it and his fist. That type of mastery of chi took years to develop, and yet they were going to try to take chi mastery to levels only seen in myths and legends. Either way, if there was anyone who could do it, why couldn't they go to Sempai High? The school had already produced numerous mages with weapons talent, and apparently visa versa, so why not this?

Shogun awaited to hear Dragn's thoughts on the issue.

Dragn9

Sorcerer Supreme
Reaction score
“Yeah, I’d been meaning to talk to you about that. There’s a lot of it that I’m not sure I understand, one section in particular I couldn’t even make out. I think I’m going to need to go over it some more, but from what I can tell it’s going to require a lot of visualization training.”

Dragn nodded his head as he took in Shogun’s answer. Dragn believed that if they could just master some use of the chi force before the Firestorm tournament, they might be able to come out of it without as much injuries. But that tournament was coming up fast and he was unsure if they could do it.

Dragn had heard rumours going around about the Gato magic captain. Dragn’s eyes narrowed as he remembered their encounter last year. Jnanee had been set up against Arlo in the tournament. Dragn had been standing ringside to watch. The match had not gone very well for Jnanee as she had spent most of her energy and was unable to fight anymore. Arlo had gone for the killing spell but Dragn who could not stand by and watch a fellow magic student be killed had jumped in and deflected the spell. Dragn could tell that Jnanee would not have been able to defend against the attack let alone survive it, or else he wouldn’t have interfered. A Sempai student’s life was more important to Dragn than a win.

It seemed that Arlo was still pissed about that and had been training non-stop. But his anger was nothing compared to the berating Dragn got from Jnanee for interfering. Dragn however, could tell that she was happy that she was still breathing. Dragn wanted to make sure that whoever was put up against Arlo in the tournament this time, would stand a fighting chance. Dragn’s hand balled up into a fist as he thought about it, just the thought of the guy and the smirk he had on his face as he went to finish off Jnanee, made Dragn fill with anger.

Coming out of his trance Dragn looked back at Shogun. “Visualization training? that seems like a logical answer. In order to control and use this power one will have to be able to visualize it for it to take on substance. And that part you couldn’t make out, I believe I am almost finished deciphering its meaning.” Dragn tapped his foot as he tried to make sense of it all. “It seems as though we’ve got the jist of how, but the hard part will be the actual execution of the art. I guess through some actual training we will be able to master it, since we learn through doing. Also, some testing would be of use to figure out what causes the most reaction from the chi force within an individual.” Dragn stopped and then sat back in his seat “I can see why more time is needed to go over the notes, it is a complex technique to master” …

Confessor

Reaction score
She watched the rest of the students walk into the class five minutes later. It was well past time to begin. "If I could have your attention please." she asked quietly and the room fell silent as all eyes turned to her in the front. "You are here because you want to learn how to defend against magical spells without using magic. I am here to teach you that, however, if you want to joke around and not pay any attention to what I am teaching you then I be the first to say...."

She gestured her hand toward the door. "There is the exit so feel free to go through it if you're not here to learn."

When nobody got up and left she turned toward her master guide which contained notes she had typed up earlier today about the class. Every lesson was covered. Then without warning handbooks began passing out to each student, landing on their desks. "This guide is for you and I suggest you take sometime to study it. We will be using it somewhat but not that often. If you have any questions then consult this handbook but if you are still confused then all you have to do is ask." She smiled politely.

"Now....I would please ask you all to meet me here three days a week in order to practice these moves. Then I would ask you to continue to perform those moves when you are not in my class. Yes there will be a final test at the end but it will not be a written exam. Instead it will be an actual fight."

The students listened intently as she continued. "Todays class is to teach those of you who don't know the basics of magic and yes, it will be a repeat for those of you who are in my magic classes. Now.....who can tell me what are elements weak against?"

A girl raised her hand. "Each element is weak against its counterpart. For example, Earth is weak against Wind while Fire is weak against Water."

"That is correct....but does anyone know how to defend against these element without magic?? Give me a guess....."

Confessor waited for another hand to go up with an answer. She waited patiently.

Last edited:

Senekha

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><
Reaction score
Sen glided through the doors of the school, her gaze automatically picking out the most dangerous of any people she passed, or the most likely areas in which an ambush could be waiting. Old habits die hard, it was true, but there were some habits that Sen would never give up, no matter the circumstances. As she walked down the hall, she pushed back the hood of her cloak and shrugged the edges back over her shoulders so that is flowed behind her.

She was not sure which class she was supposed to be in - her schedule had long been lost in her recent sojourn. The purpose behind her absense had been achieved, and her swords had sent twelve more souls to their eternal home. As she thought about past events, her eyes hardened and a dark look came over her face. One student jumped back in surprise as she passed, and with a start Sen realized how she must look and took the scowl off her face.

Sen took a brief look inside the classrooms as she passed, looking for anyone she recognized. Finally, she saw the mage Dragn and the Shogun sitting together in one class, and she looked at the sign on the door: Magic. This could be interesting, she thought. She had some magical talent herself, but not anything more than the basics, as she had chosen the more physical arts over their magical counterparts.

She stopped in the doorway, and heard the teacher ask a question, in reply to a student's answer Sen had not heard.

""That is correct....but does anyone know how to defend against these element without magic?? Give me a guess....."

Sen smiled and leaned against the door frame. "You kick them in the balls."

Startled faces swiveled to see Sen, and the teacher looked at her disapprovingly, but before anyone could say anything, Sen walked in and continued, "The elements are only as strong as the user, and there is no mortal that is immune to cold steel."

She sat down beside Dragn and Shogun, and flashed them a grin, the wild light returning to her eyes.

Confessor

Reaction score
Sen glided through the doors of the school, her gaze automatically picking out the most dangerous of any people she passed, or the most likely areas in which an ambush could be waiting. Old habits die hard, it was true, but there were some habits that Sen would never give up, no matter the circumstances. As she walked down the hall, she pushed back the hood of her cloak and shrugged the edges back over her shoulders so that is flowed behind her.

She was not sure which class she was supposed to be in - her schedule had long been lost in her recent sojourn. The purpose behind her absence had been achieved, and her swords had sent twelve more souls to their eternal home. As she thought about past events, her eyes hardened and a dark look came over her face. One student jumped back in surprise as she passed, and with a start Sen realized how she must look and took the scowl off her face.

Sen took a brief look inside the classrooms as she passed, looking for anyone she recognized. Finally, she saw the mage Dragn and the Shogun sitting together in one class, and she looked at the sign on the door: Magic. This could be interesting, she thought. She had some magical talent herself, but not anything more than the basics, as she had chosen the more physical arts over their magical counterparts.

She stopped in the doorway, and heard the teacher ask a question, in reply to a student's answer Sen had not heard.

""That is correct....but does anyone know how to defend against these element without magic?? Give me a guess....."

Sen smiled and leaned against the door frame. "You kick them in the balls."

Startled faces swiveled to see Sen, and the teacher looked at her disapprovingly, but before anyone could say anything, Sen walked in and continued, "The elements are only as strong as the user, and there is no mortal that is immune to cold steel."

She sat down beside Dragn and Shogun, and flashed them a grin, the wild light returning to her eyes.

Confessor had noted that a student she had never seen walk by but she ignored her until she gave an answer to her question. "Correct on the first part my dear and I will leave the second answer to yourself but it is indeed rather comical and it does get the job done in certain cases." she smirked and shook her head before continuing, "However, one can Indeed be immune to steel but that is a spell beyond the tongues of a first year. Some of you do know not this but a magic user or non magic user can be immune to weapons. This spell requires the correct knowledge or in some cases stupidity in order to try it out. A master potions teacher can concoct such a potion which will protect the user for a brief period of time until the potion wears off. It is...as some would say......being high."

"You all might think that magic is all about how you wave your wand then you are dead wrong. This isn't the world of Harry Potter, this is Magic. Each of these elements must be treated with the equal amount of respect. None of them are to be taken lightly. Each of them Can and Will Kill you if the wielder uses them to the extreme measure.What I mean by extreme measure is they are putting everything they've got into the spell." she paused for a moment. "Are there any questions so far?"

"Now...I need to perform a demonstration who would volunteer to be the guinea pig?" Confessor asked looking around the class.

Last edited:

Kenshin

Drifter
Reaction score
Kenshin had listened to the class with intensity. As soon as he recieved his handbook, he began poring over it, trying to absorb every little bit of knowledge that he could. He was reading a chapter on the elements when he heard the phrase: "Kick them in the balls." Looking up, he saw that it was the Senekha girl he had saw on the first day of school. Thats Senekha...Kenshin thought.Im very glad shes back.

"Now, i need to perform a demonstration, who will volunteer to be a guinea pig?" Ah, now this was a great oppurtunity to get some hands-on experience with magic, aside from the magma spell he had performed the other day, which even he wasnt completely sure about.
He decided to consuly Confessor after class.

"Id like to volunteer proffesor."

Last edited:

Confessor

Reaction score
Kenshin had listened to the class with intensity. As soon as he received his handbook, he began poring over it, trying to absorb every little bit of knowledge that he could. He was reading a chapter on the elements when he heard the phrase. "Kick them in the balls." Looking up, he saw that it was the Senekha girl he had saw on the first day of school. Thats Senekha...Kenshin thought.Im very glad shes back.

"Now, i need to perform a demonstration, who will volunteer to be a guinea pig?" Ah, now this was a great opportunity to get some hands-on experience with magic, aside from the magma spell he had performed the other day, which even he wasn't completely sure about. He decided to consult Confessor after class.

"I'd like to volunteer professor."

Confessor looked up and nodded to Kenshin. She had seen him during the battle perform a type of magic spell which allowed magma to be at his command. "Very well...Kenshin...please come to the front." Kenshin walked up to the front of the class and waited.

"Okay Kenshin...I want you to try to break through this force field I put around you." Confessor cast a force spell around Kenshin's body so he could only move a few feet until he bumped into a invisible wall.

Last edited:
OP
I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun

Midnight Demon
Reaction score
Shogun listened to Confessor as she opened up the lecture. She came to that age old question, "how do you defend against the elements without magic?" It was a simple question really. How did someone beat the gunman in the back alley when they were unarmed? You had to be careful, you had to use what you had, and you had to let everything hang out, because when it was life or death, you couldn't ask for a do over.

Shogun was about to raise his hand to answer, but someone beat him to it, "You kick them in the balls." Everyone turned to look at Sen who'd just gotten back from her other work. Shogun cracked a smirk, not quite the way he'd have put it, but blunt worked as well as anything else he supposed. Sen took a seat between him and Dragn and flashed a grin, that frightening look returning to her eyes.

Shogun smirked and listened to Confessor as he looked over the handbook she'd given the class. He wondered how these effects would work when put into practice, again his mind went to that big ox from the day before. Without any thought he'd punched through a fireball with his bare hands. Shogun didn't figure it would come that easily to him or the others, but if they could learn to block spells that easily it would be extremely beneficial against Gato in the firestorm.

Soon Confessor asked for a volunteer. There was a moment of hesitation from the class, Shogun prepared to volunteer, but again he was beaten to it, this time by Kenshin. Shogun smirked as the swordsman walked to the head of the class, that one had promise...

Dragn9

Sorcerer Supreme
Reaction score
Dragn and Shogun’s discussion was cut off as Confessor began the class. A few seconds later and a handbook landed on his desk. Great, Dragn thought another book to add to my collection. This one however was slightly different, Dragn slowly flipped through the pages reviewing the lessons that would be taught. Confessor asked a question then but Dragn, who was having trouble concentrating on anything other than the Firestorm, didn’t catch the answer from another student in the room.

“That is correct…but does anyone know how to defend against these elements without magic??”

“You kick them in the balls” Dragn’s face contorted into confusion that’s not your typical answer he laughed as he looked up from his notebook to see the new girl Senekha enter.

“The elements are only as strong as the user…” Dragn nodded his agreement “…and there is no mortal that is immune to cold steel.” Dragn couldn’t deny that fact. He smiled as Senekha walked over and took a seat between Shogun and himself, flashing them a grin.

Confessor went on to reply to Sen’s anwers. “Are there any questions so far?” A flurry of questions entered Dragn’s mind but they were all jumbled together he wasn’t sure where to start. The teacher moved on before Dragn could voice his questions.

“Now I need to perform a demonstration, who would like to be the guinea pig?” A voice came from behind Dragn “I’d like to volunteer professor.” Dragn turned around to see the other new student Kenshin. Dragn snickered, that’s one brave soul, she hasn’t even said what you will be doing.

Kenshin had walked up and Confessor asked him to break through the force field. Dragn sat back in his chair to witness this event. Dragn assumed that Confessor was trying to show them that once inside a force field very little damage can be done to the person inside. But that also depended on how much power was at their command, for a weak energy level would only produce a weak barrier from attacks. That wasn't always the case as well, it also depended on the opponent, for if they were stronger than you they would be able to break through or at least take little time to break it down. Dragn had heard that this guy had produced a magma spell and he was interested to see how Kenshin would fair.

Kenshin

Drifter
Reaction score
"I want you to break through this force field i put around you." Kenshin thought about the task at hand.Hm, how am i going to break this? He knew magic was about the strength of the combatants, but also the willpower.Im sure i dont have what it takes to match Confessors magical strength, but i know i have the willpower. he thought, determined to show his classmates how important he actually was.

Kenshin began by drawing his sword, and prodding at the barrier. It felt like a steel wall. He tried a few powerful swings at it, but they were in vain.Maybe if I....Kenshin took a deep breath. He then attacked the forcefield as if he were in a real battle.

He smashed it as fast as he could, and as many times as he could."Ah nothing works!"
The claustrophobia was kicking in.
All playfullness gone, Kenshins eyes shown with a firey intensity. He attacked the orb again and again, swinging with all his might.

Kenshin suddenly felt strange. Also very hot. With no warning whatsoever, his hand began to glow red, and out shot a gigantic blast of firey energy. To the onlookers, it appeared as if the forcefield had turned red. But as soon as it began it was over. The shield flickered for a moment, but did not go out.

Exhausted, Kenshin fell to the floor.

Confessor

Reaction score
"I want you to break through this force field i put around you." Kenshin thought about the task at hand.Hm, how am i going to break this? He knew magic was about the strength of the combatants, but also the willpower.I'm sure i don't have what it takes to match Confessors magical strength, but i know i have the willpower. he thought, determined to show his classmates how important he actually was.

Kenshin began by drawing his sword, and prodding at the barrier. It felt like a steel wall. He tried a few powerful swings at it, but they were in vain.Maybe if I....Kenshin took a deep breath. He then attacked the forcefield as if he were in a real battle.

He smashed it as fast as he could, and as many times as he could."Ah nothing works!"
The claustrophobia was kicking in. All playfulness gone, Kenshin's eyes shown with a fiery intensity. He attacked the orb again and again, swinging with all his might.

Kenshin suddenly felt strange. Also very hot. With no warning whatsoever, his hand began to glow red, and out shot a gigantic blast of fiery energy. To the onlookers, it appeared as if the forcefield had turned red. But as soon as it began it was over. The shield flickered for a moment, but did not go out.

Exhausted, Kenshin fell to the floor.

Confessor watched Kenshin's efforts when he performed the same magical attack as he did with the magma. She would have to have a talk with him once the session was over. Glancing down at him she saw him sitting on the floor clearly exhausted. Walking over to the force field she tapped it with her fingers and it vanished. She then knelt down beside Kenshin and cast a powerful healing spell which relieved his exhaustion and she even handed him something to eat. "Thank you Kenshin." she said quietly in his ear.

Turning to the class once again she asked. "After you witnessed what I did...how did I break the shield?"

OP
I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun

Midnight Demon
Reaction score
Shogun watched with interest as Kenshin went at the spell barrier with everything he had, he even demonstrated that mysterious power that came from his hand, but nonetheless it failed, he collapsed to the ground, absolutely exhausted. With a little tap of her fingers Confessor dispelled the barrier. Shogun noted this curiously, with almost no effort at all she'd broken the spell that Kenshin couldn't cut through with all his might. She hadn't simply ended the spell, she'd seriously broken through it.

As she healed Kenshin she asked the class to answer how she'd done it. No one seemed certain, Shogun had some idea, but he wasn't sure how he wanted to put it. It seemed reminiscent of Jeet Kune Do in a way, with minimal effort she simply broke down the wall, simple and direct, but there had to be more to it than that. Spell shields were generally a real bastard to punch through, it had to be something about where she'd touched it...

Shogun raised his hand, "Correct me if I'm wrong, for at the very least I don't have the whole answer down, but could it be that you struck at a weak spot in the defense? Or perhaps you put a special amount of extra power behind your contact?" It was as much a question as an answer, but for the life of him Shogun was unsure, he had a feeling he just wasn't seeing something that was painfully obvious. Suddenly it was like his days training with the old man all over again...

Confessor

Reaction score
Shogun watched with interest as Kenshin went at the spell barrier with everything he had, he even demonstrated that mysterious power that came from his hand, but nonetheless it failed, he collapsed to the ground, absolutely exhausted. With a little tap of her fingers Confessor dispelled the barrier. Shogun noted this curiously, with almost no effort at all she'd broken the spell that Kenshin couldn't cut through with all his might. She hadn't simply ended the spell, she'd seriously broken through it.

As she healed Kenshin she asked the class to answer how she'd done it. No one seemed certain, Shogun had some idea, but he wasn't sure how he wanted to put it. It seemed reminiscent of Jeet Kune Do in a way, with minimal effort she simply broke down the wall, simple and direct, but there had to be more to it than that. Spell shields were generally a real bastard to punch through, it had to be something about where she'd touched it...

Shogun raised his hand, "Correct me if I'm wrong, for at the very least I don't have the whole answer down, but could it be that you struck at a weak spot in the defense? Or perhaps you put a special amount of extra power behind your contact?" It was as much a question as an answer, but for the life of him Shogun was unsure, he had a feeling he just wasn't seeing something that was painfully obvious. Suddenly it was like his days training with the old man all over again...

"You have a good point there Mr. Shogun, yes I did find a certain weak spot in the spell and with very little effort and not using any magic I broke through the barrier. Now Can anyone tell me what elements create a barrier spell??" she asked as she helped Kenshin to his seat and turned toward her class.

Last edited: