Online vs Real Life

Dreamscaper

Royal Hamster Wrangler
Reaction score
That whole being punished in one form or another if I did do it, would do it I guess.

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
That whole being punished in one form or another if I did do it, would do it I guess.
I guess that sort of proves Cloud's observation of people perceiving a lack of consequences for their actions online, making them more likely to take certain risks because of anonymity. We wear avatar masks but how much of our true thoughts and feelings do we mask compared to what we do in RL when it's supposedly "safer" to express ourselves online?

Dreamscaper

Royal Hamster Wrangler
Reaction score
I guess that sort of proves Cloud's observation of people perceiving a lack of consequences for their actions online, making them more likely to take certain risks because of anonymity. We wear avatar masks but how much of our true thoughts and feelings do we mask compared to what we do in RL when it's supposedly "safer" to express ourselves online?

I suppose so, but its not necessarily a complete lack of consequences either, especially on a forum where one can know and be known, not to mention the banhammer. The difference is that nobody here is able to get in my face and yell at me for not having the emotional capacity of a boulder.

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
The difference is that nobody here is able to get in my face and yell at me for not having the emotional capacity of a boulder.

Your post made me laugh Dreamscaper because it's so true! I find it way easier to deal with a confrontation online than I would face to face. Besides.... if you post something stupid in a fit of anger you can always edit it later (or a mod will!)...lol. Once you've said something face to face, you can't really take it back.

Gayle Miller

Reaction score
I'm saner online than in real life. I'm still as opinionated/passionate about things as I am online but the biggest difference is my online voice. I met a few friends last year that I'd only known online and they were taken aback by how soft my actual voice is. My avi is my book cover. I didn't know what else to use other than a pic of myself.

Dreamscaper

Royal Hamster Wrangler
Reaction score
Your post made me laugh Dreamscaper because it's so true! I find it way easier to deal with a confrontation online than I would face to face. Besides.... if you post something stupid in a fit of anger you can always edit it later (or a mod will!)...lol. Once you've said something face to face, you can't really take it back.

I'm glad :) This is true.