New to the gaming scene

Dynan

Reaction score
So, I just recently got into the gaming scene--role-playing, board gaming and video gaming. I blame (or credit?) my boyfriend. He suggested I start with something small and simple. Never did he mention it would also turn out to be highly addictive. Pokemon. Heart Gold. I've never been one to sit down for any extended length of time, doing the same thing, not even reading a book (you can imagine how role playing has been difficult to get used to). I will sit for HOURS playing this game. There are so many....things...like little hidden things to find, catch and do! These game developers are bloody BRILLIANT, I tell you! I've had to start playing standing up, lest my bum fall asleep, or my lack of blood circulation cause heart problems. (btw, fun fact: sitting for more than 4 hours at a time during the day increases risk of heart disease by 54%)

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
Woot!

Heartgold/Soulsilver are probably the best in the series - being remakes in modern graphics of the best original games!

Welcome to the world of the gamers!
Now go get minecraft ;) :)

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
If you like RPGs and have a DS, try some of the Dragon Quest games, they are a bit harder than Pokemon though. The first time you play a Pokemon game it is all really new, but let it be known that most of the games have a almost copy paste formula for plot and gameplay. And while it is a fun game, if you have nobody to play it against it can get old fast, unless you start learning how to train Pokemon with Effort Values and find out how to breed their Individual Values and doing more competitive play.

OP
Dynan

Dynan

Reaction score
Now go get minecraft
Minecraft, eh? I will absolutely do so....after I beat Pokemon Black :D
You can play lying down!
I've tried it. My back falls asleep...am I weird?

And...OOOOOoooOOO Effort Values?? I've heard of that-my boyfriend does it, though he hasn't yet gone into depth (perhaps I'm not yet adept enough?) Anyway, I'll definitely try it out--maybe before I venture off to Dragon Quest. Thanks for the info!

I'm busy, now, leveling up my team to face the Elite Four and Red, then I figure I'll go catch the legendaries. Can you access Hoein in Heart Gold?

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
Sadly no, you can't go to the third generation world in HG/SS but the next remake of Pokemon should be in that region. It was a cool region but all the pokemon from it were kinda lame. Seedot can not be justified.

Also of you like JRPGs I forgot to mention Chrono Trigger. It was polished up for the DS recently, and if you are into monster collecting-ish gameplay you should check out the Dragon Quest Monsters spin off series from dragon quest. I've been a pokemon fan all my life but DQM is my all time favorite of that sort of genre.

AlphaAlex

Official Forum Nuisance
Reaction score
dont bother with minecraft, play a real game.

Multiplayer video games are the best.. ie games you can play against your friends. Minecraft gets boring fast.

As for board games. Find and play Talisman. It's a simple but very highly fun Role play game for 2-16 players. Possibly the best made. It's been around since the early 80's and has had about 4 remakes until now and the latest version made recently is still massive.

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
Minecraft is only fun in multiplayer and even then it has it's slow times. I might consider giving my server a breath of life if enough people want to join it again. The best DS multiplayer game is Metroid Prime Hunters.

Black Tattoo

The Corruptor
Reaction score
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Gamers!!! :devilbat:

If you enjoy exploring and finding hidden rooms to explore and whatnot, you might enjoy "Dungeon Siege". This is the third time I've played it and I'm STILL finding all sorts of things I've missed here and there.

Quengil

Warlock
Reaction score
If you're into computer RPGs as well as board games, try the Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age series. Both are great, and have captured my interest for years. You never know what's behind the next corner, and the possibilities are nigh-endless. :)

I'm meaning to play a "classic" role-playing board game with a few friends, but we never seem to get the time.