New to Fantasy... What to read next?

Liadan

Insert Title Here
Reaction score
No offense to people who like Malazan, but Malazan is absolutely AWFUL when it comes to characterization. It's great on plot, world-building, and a cast of over nine thousand that's almost as impossible to keep track of as WoT, but it has massive amounts of magic and its characters are poorly written, at least IMO. Wheel of Time has the same pros as Malazan--plot, world-building, plenty of characters, magic, epic-ness--but it lacks what defines and sets apart ASoIaF from other fantasy epics. Yeah, I suppose you could argue that the females are "clearly defined" characters, but only if you enjoy having multiple copies of women who all act the same damn way.

... Not to sound bitter, or anything. >_> I may or may not have been reading WoT, Malazan, and ASoIaF more or less simultaneously, and I honestly can't understand why people recommend the former two series to fans of the third. Although I will say that if your only qualification of your next series is "epic," both Malazan and WoT are good choices.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series, which is highly touted on the Westeros boards (biggest GRRM online fansite, if I'm not mistaken), so you might want to try those out, but I can't give a personal recommendation as I've yet to go find a copy of it.

Tabris

Reaction score
I hope it's ok that I as for advise for books as well in this thread. I don't mean to take over OP's thread, but thought it unneccesary to start a similar thread. I have read LotR and HP, and am reading A Song of Ice and Fire now. There is a lot of great suggestions in this thread, but since I am unfamiliar with the landscape of fantasy books, I was wondering: I want to read something that is typical high fantasy. I want elves, humans and dwarves, magic, spells, guilds, wizards and quests. I don't mind if it's "cliche", I want the book to read almost like a classical RPG game. D&D-like. Any suggestions on what of the books mentioned (or others unmentioned) I should go for?

Greybeard

Geezer
Reaction score
I hope it's ok that I as for advise for books as well in this thread. I don't mean to take over OP's thread, but thought it unneccesary to start a similar thread. I have read LotR and HP, and am reading A Song of Ice and Fire now. There is a lot of great suggestions in this thread, but since I am unfamiliar with the landscape of fantasy books, I was wondering: I want to read something that is typical high fantasy. I want elves, humans and dwarves, magic, spells, guilds, wizards and quests. I don't mind if it's "cliche", I want the book to read almost like a classical RPG game. D&D-like. Any suggestions on what of the books mentioned (or others unmentioned) I should go for?

Just about the only books written these days with elves and dwarves and such are books based on RPGs. Anything put out by Wizards of the Coast might suit you, although they lack the depth of most good fantasy.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams is epic and has elves, dwarves, but they're very different from Tolkien's elves and dwarves. Actually, his elves - the Sithi - are based on the Aos Sidhe, the fairies of Celtic mythology.

As always, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, which Brandon Sanderson is now finishing. No elves, no dwarves, but lots of magic - and the most original magic system around - but it's a massive series and moves quite slowly in places.

Tabris

Reaction score
Ok, thank you. I was thinking about some of those Forgotten Realm books. They might be more what I'm looking for.

Arkady

The Immortal Prince
Reaction score
Mistborn is devine.

Try "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Ru somethig. David Eddings is also recommended, although try the Sparhawk series first. It might just be me, but I couldn't stand the Belgariad and the like.

I agree "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss is great and a nice Chunky book too ;)

I also recommend any of the Jennifer Fallon series, "The Tide Lords" series is a great one and is four books instead of her usual three.
You could also try the "Demon Child" series it is set in the same world as "The Hythrun Chronicles" though read those first.

I would also recommend "Cry of the Newborn" by James Barclay it's a massive book for a "book one" ( I love it when books are huge more to read!) It's different and takes a little bit to get into but I found it a pleasant read. :)

Hope these give you some ideas!

Last edited:

KaptariMind

Argonaut
Reaction score
I highly recommend adding "The Black Company" by Glen Cook to your list of fantasy must-reads.

bloodfiredeath

Die by the Sword
Reaction score
... Not to sound bitter, or anything. >_> I may or may not have been reading WoT, Malazan, and ASoIaF more or less simultaneously, and I honestly can't understand why people recommend the former two series to fans of the third.

I am going to have to refute this...for me personally I read WoT first, then ASoIaF, then Malazan and have enjoyed all three for varying reasons and was disappointed by certain things in all three as well, but as a whole they all are on the top of the game at present. You mention characterisation lacking in Malazan, methinks possibly due to the cast of over 9000!! However I find that Martin at times characterised too much and neglected to cover events throughly...Before you flame me, that is just my opinion, and I still enjoy all of these series, I just noticed whilst re reading ASoIaF before Christmas I felt myself left wanting more, and it actually felt more like a screenplay than a fantasy series. I am going to re read Malazan soon, just to double check your reasoning!! :p

I highly recommend adding "The Black Company" by Glen Cook to your list of fantasy must-reads.

I heard this is similar to Malazan...is this true??

trazzberry1

Reaction score
Read R.A. Salvatore's Homeland. Amazing book. Amazing trilogy.

on that topic, read (all by RA Salvatore)
The Dark Elf Trilogy
The Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Legacy of the Drow (4 books)
The Paths of Darkness (4 books)
The Hunter Blades Trilogy
The Sellswords Trilogy
Transitions Trilogy

They are all excellent books, I can't read one without doing it all at once, and they all have the same characters so you get a nice progression of character in different situations.
If you want more in the same general area, the Cleric Quintet is a pretty good back story for one of the other Salvatore characters
If you haven't read them you should also definitely read the Lord of the Rings by Tolkien and the Hobbit by him as well. They are incredible classic fantasy. C.S. Lewis is pretty good too, the trick is to just ignore the movies.

Dav

Reaction score
All David Gemmell are recommended reads. Try Sebastian H. Alive "Lords of the immoral land" on kindle edition on Amazon. It's quite good also.

Lego

God amongst men
Reaction score
I would very much recommend the Demon Trilogy by Peter V Brett, though so far only the first two books are out; 'The Painted Man' and 'The Desert Spear'

I'd also recommend the Seven Realms Trilogy too by Cinda Williams Chima, though again only the first two books are out; 'The Demon King' and 'The Exiled Queen'

All very good reads!

jeskawest

Reaction score
Memory Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams is great, as is pretty much everything else by him. David Eddings is also highly recommended, mainly Belgariad and Mallorean and companion books, after that everything kind of gets lame. The Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman is absolutely amazing. By far their best work. There are a lot of others that I love, but those are ones you must read.

WildPony

Reaction score
Definitely Memory Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams, it will change your outlook on life!
Of course David Eddings if you're looking for a pretty long haul. If you want something magical, beautiful and full of power struggles then try Artifacts of Power by Maggie Furey.

MosesSiregarIII

Writer, Reader, Conquerer
Reaction score
Most of my recommendations have already been given by others, so here are some more to keep your eyes on:

Gay Gavriel Kay ('Under Heaven' is his latest)
N.K. Jemisin
David Anthony Durham
Scott Lynch (a different style; I enjoy his writing)
Michael J. Sullivan (lighter)

Last edited: