New to Fantasy... What to read next?

robbyras

Reaction score
So, I'm pretty new to the genre...

I've read Song of Fire and Ice and have been patiently waiting for Dance with Dragons... in the meantime I read the Dark Tower series and the Harry Potter series, which I am about 200 pages from finishing...

Other than that I've read The Circle Trilogy by Dekker and enjoyed it... I know it's not fantasy, but it fits in there somewhere... I also started reading The Blade Itself but didn't get through it... It's a fine book and I will revisit it, but it's not what I wanted at the time... I also devoured The Left Hand of God... I completely enjoyed that book and can't wait for the next installment (I broke my own rule - see below)

I'm looking for something in the style of Song of Fire and Ice... something expansive like that... but, I want the series be either be completed already or close to completion...Mr. Martin has turned me off of starting a series before it is close to completion...

Here are some things I am considering:
Dune
Wheel of Time
Malazan Book of the Fallen
Mistborn Series
The Once and Future King (I know it's not a series, but I could go for a good single book)
The King Raven Trilogy

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post and give me some feedback...

freedomtaken

Predominately Inept
Reaction score
Mistborn is devine.

Try "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Ru somethig. David Eddings is also recommended, although try the Sparhawk series first. It might just be me, but I couldn't stand the Belgariad and the like.

OP
R

robbyras

Reaction score
That's Patrick Rothfuss. It's on my "Read Next" list.

Yeah, I have a copy of that, but I'm waiting for the third book to come out...

I think I may go with Mistborn

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
Malazan Book of the Fallen is a very good companion to ASOIAF - and its mostly (if not totally I've not checked recently) finished.

The story is far more god and magic than ASOIAF; however it keeps the multiple lead character viewpoints aspect and also has lead characters who will die - and more ;). The second book sometimes throws people because it starts out with an entirely new cast of characters - however it ties directly into events from the first and several characters from the first appear in the second.

You could also check out Robin Hobbs series of trilogies - The Farseer Trilogy starts out her worldset and is a single viewpoint story and narration. It's less "grand" in its sweeping than ASOIAF in some ways but really delves very deep into a single characters mindset. There are a further 2 trilogies and 1, 2 book series following after that trilogy.

bloodfiredeath

Die by the Sword
Reaction score
Seconding Malazan...great stuff!!
Wheel of Time is brilliant if you are willing to commit the time!!
For a short and relatively easy read, any of Raymond Feist's efforet are great......
And the Once and future King is a classic!!

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
Magician (released in 1 part in the UK and 2 parts in the USA) is Raymond E. Fiests best work that I've read. It's got that grand sweeping feeling of ASOIAF holds whilst all being bound up in a single book. His other works don't have that same passionate feel - they read more like a DnD adventure with a small party out against the world (even though half the time its got the prince/king of the land in the party ;)).

So Magician is worth it and the rest for light reading :)

Sneakybolt

Melereb
Reaction score
DO NOT START THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES!!! Don't get me wrong, It's an awesome series but...They still have another 2 books till it's finished. So unless you wanna wait like 7 years to finish the series I suggest you wait till all the books are out.

Check out the Sword of Truth series, by Terry Goodkind too!

Greybeard

Geezer
Reaction score
DO NOT START THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES!!! Don't get me wrong, It's an awesome series but...They still have another 2 books till it's finished. So unless you wanna wait like 7 years to finish the series I suggest you wait till all the books are out.

Unless something has changed drastically in the last couple of weeks, WoT has one book remaining, and odds are very good that it will be in stores in about eleven months. I'd say you should read the series - it's the best series out there still being written IMHO - and try to time it so you're ready to read book 14 next November.

I'll be rereading the series in anticipation.

OP
R

robbyras

Reaction score
Unless something has changed drastically in the last couple of weeks, WoT has one book remaining, and odds are very good that it will be in stores in about eleven months. I'd say you should read the series - it's the best series out there still being written IMHO - and try to time it so you're ready to read book 14 next November.

I'll be rereading the series in anticipation.

My wife is in the middle of book 12 right now... she loves it... WOT is on my list for sure, but I think I want to knock out a few others before I get involved in a 14 book series...

I'm pretty sure I am reading Mistborn next

Sabbz

pooky
Reaction score
So, I'm pretty new to the genre...

I've read Song of Fire and Ice and have been patiently waiting for Dance with Dragons... in the meantime I read the Dark Tower series and the Harry Potter series, which I am about 200 pages from finishing...

Other than that I've read The Circle Trilogy by Dekker and enjoyed it... I know it's not fantasy, but it fits in there somewhere... I also started reading The Blade Itself but didn't get through it... It's a fine book and I will revisit it, but it's not what I wanted at the time... I also devoured The Left Hand of God... I completely enjoyed that book and can't wait for the next installment (I broke my own rule - see below)

I'm looking for something in the style of Song of Fire and Ice... something expansive like that... but, I want the series be either be completed already or close to completion...Mr. Martin has turned me off of starting a series before it is close to completion...

Here are some things I am considering:
Dune
Wheel of Time
Malazan Book of the Fallen
Mistborn Series
The Once and Future King (I know it's not a series, but I could go for a good single book)
The King Raven Trilogy

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post and give me some feedback...

Wheel of Time is good, if a bit convoluted and just seems to go on and on and on and...
Dune is always a good read, classic.
Don't know the others.

My suggestions:
1. The Belgariad, The Mallorean, Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress (in that order) - David Eddings (12 books in total)
2. The Redemption of Althalus - David Eddings (single novel)
3. The Liveship Traders (Trilogy) - Robin Hobb
4. The Empire Trilogy - Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurtz.
5. The Riftwar Saga - Raymond E. Feist (my favourite :p)

Those should keep you busy for a while, lol.

I'm busy with The Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb at the moment, it's set several years after the events set out in the Liveship Traders but it's also a good read (thus far).

Last edited: