Need help with book from the early 90s

rshall89

Reaction score
This is the book that got me into reading and I read it when I was maybe 10 or 11 and I vaguely remember but I so badly want to read it again. I think since I read it early 2000s that it was published late 90s or maybe early 90s, probably read it because it was my older brothers. It might be a child literature, a smaller book than the usual 1000 page ones.

I vaguely remember it but I'll do my best to describe it, Main character is a young male who ventures off from his home early in the story but comes back pretty soon and all the people from the home setting are dead. The girl who he liked has dissappeared though, I think there might have been an old man who survived also who was suppose to give him advice. Well he travels through a forest chasing after the captors but he comes upon a pig or deer, I think the animal was magical somehow and he go chasing after it. I don't remember alot of the middle parts of the book but the end he has to go over some mountains and he sees the bad guys landscape and it looks very diabolic. I remember that the evil guy had a cauldron and the cauldron was very important and his minions were very goblinoid type creatures I think.

I thought the book was Knight's Wyrd but I ordered it and it had some similarities but it wasn't it. I doubt it was a popular book but any similarities to a book you know please list and I'll see if its the correct book.

Lord_Zelo

Reaction score
Hey, I think the books you are looking for are called The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. The first book in the series "The Book of Three" starts with a boy name Taran and his assignment as being the Assistant Pig Keeper for a man named Dallben where he is to care for an oracle pig named Hen Wen. The pig gets scared one day and runs away into the woods and Taran makes chase. He meets a young girl named Eilonwy who is somewhat magic. His quest in the book is to help destroy the Horned King. The guy with the cauldron is named Arawn and he makes these zombie dudes called Cauldron-Born from the cauldron, they are nearly impossible to kill.

There's more in the Wikipedia article:
The Book of Three

I hope that is what you are looking for, really a very good series of books.

LZ

Last edited:

Kudd

Reaction score
Hmmm...

Sounds like a RA Salvatore book, but i could be wrong, I read it sooooooo long ago and my brain just is not made for long term retention.

The Demon Awakens (1997 maybe)

Even if this isn't what you are looking for, from what you described and what i remember of the book, very similar plots. Then again I am wrong sometimes.

That is all.