Need A New Series

TheYoungWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have recently hit the fantasy wall, I cannot find anything to read...like there's nothing out there...I know, but i've attempted a few that were touted as great books online that I just couldn't get into. Such as Wizards First Rule, which i completely gave up on. Right now im attempting to get into The Malazan Book of the Fallen, but its slow going and im def not getting caught up in the story. I also read a bit of Lord Fouls Bane but i set that down and wasnt compelled to go back to that either(but im thinkin about it). Are there any other great books out there that I have over looked?

Books I have read and loved are:

All Robin Hobb works
A song of Ice and Fire
The Name of the Wind
Wheel of Time

Jorick

Reaction score
I'd suggest the Kushiel's Legacy trilogy by Jacqueline Carey. It's set in an alternate universe Renaissance France (and the surrounding world) with bits of magic sprinkled in. A lot of mature themes, but if you read and enjoyed A Song of Ice and Fire it shouldn't be a big deal to you. The characters are all fantastically developed and the world (being based on reality) feels extremely real.

Also, the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. It's got a cool story with an interesting magic system. Since the author is going to be finishing the Wheel of Time series, you may as well check him out if you haven't already. Personally, I think he's better than Robert Jordan at everything but world building, but that small lacking area doesn't make his books bad at all. Just not so realistic in the setting. Everything else is great.

OP
TheYoungWolf

TheYoungWolf

Reaction score
I'd suggest the Kushiel's Legacy trilogy by Jacqueline Carey. It's set in an alternate universe Renaissance France (and the surrounding world) with bits of magic sprinkled in. A lot of mature themes, but if you read and enjoyed A Song of Ice and Fire it shouldn't be a big deal to you. The characters are all fantastically developed and the world (being based on reality) feels extremely real.

Also, the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. It's got a cool story with an interesting magic system. Since the author is going to be finishing the Wheel of Time series, you may as well check him out if you haven't already. Personally, I think he's better than Robert Jordan at everything but world building, but that small lacking area doesn't make his books bad at all. Just not so realistic in the setting. Everything else is great.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I will check them out.

TheNorthernSun

Reaction score
I seconds for the Mistborn Triology! Reading it now and all I got to say is that Brandon Sanderson is awsome!