Making a bow?

ironman

Reaction score
Does anyone know any tutorials about making a bow? I'm making one in the moment but it's going to be bad.

Last edited:

Jessehk

The introverted
Reaction score
this belongs in the historical weapons and armour, or general weapons and armour section. this section deal specifically with swords.

*moving*

Arduwyn

Archer of the Wood
Reaction score
I would try reading the Bowyer's Bible series. There are 3 total with I think a 4th in the works. They cover all kinds of bow and arrow making. I got started with those and learning from a lot of old timers on www.primitivearcher.com.

The actual bow making process is not hard, just getting the necessary experience can be a little frustrating. Here is an English longbow style bow that I made that draws about 55#@28". It was great for target clout. I ended up giving it to a guy I knew in Arizona a couple years ago...

Good Luck and be patient.

Arduwyn

Attachments

• elb_drawn.jpg
    elb_drawn.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 364

Mububban

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ooh, horn tips, very nice. What wood is it?

I'm saving for the tools to get started on making some bows myself. That pesky mortgage tends to get in the way though lol

Mububban

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, 6 years later and I've only made a handful of bows, mostly light weight kids bows, but a couple of working adult bows. They perform, although not amazingly well.

Not coincedentally, 2008 was the year I became a father, so do the math :D

I have a Youtube channel with some videos I made with a friend, a local man who is a carpenter by trade and a bowmaker for hobby, but he is practically a zen master of bow making with Australian timbers. He's also made bows from imported foreign timbers including yew....mmm, yew....

https://www.youtube.com/user/Mububban23/videos