Magic without a wand

Sïalla

Reaction score
I think somewhere in some book someone said something about this xD probably Dumbledore.
I think when a wizard is powerfull enough he's able do to magic without a wand while others need one to be able to control, so in principle they all have the ability to do magic without a wand, that's why young wizard sometimes do at the beggining, but they just have problems controlling it like that.
Dumbledor obviously can because he's awesome xD

MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses
Reaction score
I think the purpose of a wand is to amplify or concentrate a wizard/witches power. The wand itself has magical properties due to its core so that must affect their own handle on magic.
All wizards have magic, that's what makes them wizards so its not just the wands or anybody could use magic.
I think that the wand adds control for younger wizards and that eventually you'll be able to do spells without your wand, it would just be harder. It was in the 6th book that they were learning to cast spells without speaking, not without their wands, and I'm sure the next step would have been casting without wands, but we'll never know for sure because Harry didn't go back to school for his 7th year!

emecbe

Reaction score
Throughout the books, no humans do any magic other than by accident. Magic requires wands and gestures. The only creatures seen working without wands are the house elves and goblins. it would seem therefore, that only humans require wands. Even Voldemort needed a wand, when he lost his own he had to have another one.