Magic without a wand

hendy

Reaction score
The prisoner of azkaban is on tv right now and I was watching it, and im sure that when harry gets attacked by the dementors playing quidditch and he falls to the ground, dumbledore levitates him to the ground without using a wand? If anyone has the movie have a look and tell me whats going on?

Hermione_Granger

Clever Witch
Reaction score
Indeed Dumbledore, did levitate Harry without a wand but unfortunately, I don't remember if he used a wand in the novel or not.

Band Zombie

Son of Odin
Reaction score
Personally, this is how i think wands and staffs in fantasy worlds work:

Okay, so you have a spell. if you use your hands, the spell's energies would exit right out of your flesh and would probably hurt you, depending on the spell. Now with a wand or a staff, the energy of the spell is conjured in your body and conducted through your magical device, exiting harmlessly out of wood, metal, etc...

That's my idea of it anyways, i'm sure it's different in all fantasy worlds....

Graft

Love-tiger
Reaction score
Sure you can, just like this. you can even italicize or bold or be really impressive and do all three at once.

haha. LMAO @ choo.

Anyway. The way I think of "wand magic" is that the wand acts as an amplifier. So a strong wizard could cast with no wand, but it'd drain him much more than if he'd had a wand and it'd be harder to actually do.

CleptoLoki

Reaction score
It probably takes a lot more concentration to do magic without a wand because it is something you can channel your magic through instead of it running rampant through your body and trying to force it out.

Anir

Reaction score
my view on it is this: in the Harry Potter world, wizards and witches are given wands and told "you can't use magic without this". they are useless without them because they believe this. However, there are some who realize that they can do magic without it, but it is extremely difficult, requires more power/concentration, etc. if you are powerful enough, you can eventually do magic without a wand.

Artisteri

Webcomic Artist
Reaction score
Well, as I'd understood it most witches and wizards are useless without their wand.. except for a select few powerful ones. I read a profile on Lily that said that she was so gifted she could even cast spells without a wand... doing things like levitating. So I think it's a special skill of the more powerful wizards... I think.

Barry Trotter

Reaction score
It is possible to do magic without a wand, they even begin to have lessons on how to do it, I can't remember when, probablly book 6 as in 7 they don't go back to Hogwarts. The whole point is that only few very talented wizards can actually do this trick.

Zbankrutowac

Last edited:

Jingojolene

Wayfarer, heartlander
Reaction score
I think all of you are right. That's is something for hte more powerful wizards, that wands make it easier for people to cast and concentrate their spells instead of trying to force it out of their bodies and also that they are made to believe that they need their wand for spellcasting. Shame JKR didn't do some cool twist in GoF where Harry loses his wand she could have made him become superpowerful and cast spells without it like other wizards and witches. But I don't like Harry anyway.