Lower the Drinking age in U.S.?

Bones

Reaction score
When I turned 18, I was legal to drink alcohol in Maryland. That was 27 years ago and later they upped the drinking age to 21...Would you approve of lowering the drinking age from 21in the U.S.? In some other countries, the drinking age is lower than 21 and it hasn't been a problem...But what do you think?

Blackness

Reaction score
It should be lowered to 18 at least.
I mean if you can marry and make a family with 18, but you can't DRINK!? wtf?!¨
When you're able to vote, drive, have kids, and smoke, then you're an adult (legally), you can drink, so i think something seriously went wrong with America in this case.

In most non-US countries it's 18.

Last edited:

Blackness

Reaction score
I got drunk for the first time when i was 13 :p
Isn't really a good thing, just saying that you can always get booze if against the law...

Lady_of_Shalott

Weaving the Magic Web
Reaction score
No way. Alcohol is the number one problem among college students in America. It is in the top five causes of death among college age students. I don't see people becoming more responsible about alcohol consumption. Drinking large amounts of alcohol is one of the stupidest things you can do to your body, not only in the short term, but in the long term as well.

I agree that it does seem dumb that you can be in the military, get married, etc., but you can't legally drink. It seems like a double standard of some sort. But I just can't see why we would facilitate this problem while its growing. People who are underage and want to drink will probably find a way to drink anyway, especially in college. But we needn't make it easier for them.

Warlock Lord

I am a Fashion Statement
Reaction score
governments shouldnt be aloud control ones own decisions, especially when the effect/consequences are only meant to affect you personally!

Anakin

God Emperor
Reaction score
In my opinion it is as with voting a debatable thing what the age should be and in both cases my opinion is that it shouldn't be under 18. So that the drinking age is above 18 is maybe a bit extreme. I think if teenagers have been taught the responsability then I see no problem for them to drink at 18. I'm more concerned about smoking...I am more disgusted when I see like a 12 year old with a cigarette in his hands...I do believe you can drink in Belgium at a lower age than 18. We didn't have a great problem with it. I'm not sure if that has been changed.

Crusader

Disturber of the Peace
Reaction score
No way. Alcohol is the number one problem among college students in America. It is in the top five causes of death among college age students. I don't see people becoming more responsible about alcohol consumption. Drinking large amounts of alcohol is one of the stupidest things you can do to your body, not only in the short term, but in the long term as well.

I agree that it does seem dumb that you can be in the military, get married, etc., but you can't legally drink. It seems like a double standard of some sort. But I just can't see why we would facilitate this problem while its growing. People who are underage and want to drink will probably find a way to drink anyway, especially in college. But we needn't make it easier for them.

Is the 21 limit though not the source of this problem though? american college students learn limits much later than the rest of the world with earlier drinking limits, they dont develop a sense for their own consumtion so are more prone to overuse. Its also a matter of taboo, alcohol is the 'cool' thing to do since youre not allowed. I know a lot of people who have been over to america and seen the cultural differences associated with alcohol.

Warlock Lord

I am a Fashion Statement
Reaction score
In my opinion it is as with voting a debatable thing what the age should be and in both cases my opinion is that it shouldn't be under 18. So that the drinking age is above 18 is maybe a bit extreme. I think if teenagers have been taught the responsability then I see no problem for them to drink at 18. I'm more concerned about smoking...I am more disgusted when I see like a 12 year old with a cigarette in his hands...I do believe you can drink in Belgium at a lower age than 18. We didn't have a great problem with it. I'm not sure if that has been changed.

I dont see a valid point anywhere... :confused: please tell us why

Arya

Reaction score
I think it's ridiculous that the US allow 16 year olds to drive cars, but you're not allowed to have a drink until you're 21. I've heard it said that most driving offences, including DUI's, occur in under 25's ... I wonder why that might be.

AcrobaticHippo

Determined
Reaction score
In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
Well, we Singaporeans are more sane, actually...you can drink when you're 18, but you can't marry (except with parental consent), own houses or anything. :D

I'm not American, but I felt like saying something on this issue :)D) IDEALLY, the cut-off age for drinking legally should be at the same age as the one used to deem people as adults (21) I won't go much into why I think the ideal minimum age is 21 (I'll make it short) Think about it - you're 18, you've just entered university and you're having the time of your life. You want to make friends, you want to have fun, and you just want to experience it all. You may still be in university when you're 21, but you've gone through a few years and you'd have seen enough of your classmates drinking too much. I'm not saying that everyone gets themselves into major problems after drinking too much, but look at what's on the table. Addiction, costs...even if you want to determine your "tolerance level", there's definitely a larger-than-small chance of you getting addicted. I don't think I need to spell out the possible effects of addiction. Would you want to risk your well-being for that? :/

It's one thing to explore and find new avenues in your life, but when there's a significant chance that your "experimentation" can lead to disastrous results, it's best to keep away from it. Owning a home, marrying someone...this can have large impacts on someone's life (as large as drinking) and they're made available to only adults for a very valid reason. Adults are granted these rights by the government based on the fact that adults normally aren't that excitable and they have a more mature and stable personality to handle many issues (and to those who say adults can behave irresponsibly and drink heavily too - I'll concede that, but what makes you think that minors have a better sense of judgement and an ability to tell how easily they can get hooked?) . I'm sure this belief is held due to common sense and observation, but I'll find some links if I'm challenged in this debate.

As for the double standards thing regarding driving, I have this to say. Driving is a useful skill that'll get you through terrain more quickly, and chances of car crashes increase only when the driver doesn't follow the Highway Code etc.

Drinking is a recreational, and non-mandatory aspect of frat parties. The advantage? Maybe get you clout with friends and make you the 'cool' person. The disadvantages? It lowers your ability to think, makes you VERY vulnerable (especially if you're a girl) and you CAN get hooked after the first few drinks. The measures taken to lessen any impact? They don't go along the line of "Drink it from a young age and get used (ADDICTED?) to it". They don't guarantee safety if you follow any "instructions". As for "instructions", they provide brochures and leaflets highlighting the negative effects of heavy drinking on one's health, social life and work performance. Sure, they also provide ways to lessen SOME, I repeat, SOME forms of danger you're exposed to (like going out in a bunch blahblahblah IN THE CASE OF OVERSTEPPING UNKNOWN LIMITS) but they all point to one thing : Drinking is HARMFUL. Any "preventive" measure taken in this case apart from abstinence merely serves to lessen, but not eradicate SOME dangers of drinking. That ties back to the question of : How much is a teenager willing to risk, in the face of temptation?

I'm not the moral authority on society at all (thank goodness, eh? :D) but whaddaya suppose teenagers will think when they see flashing neon lights and members of the preferred gender cuddling up to them? What if they get exposed to drugs when under the influence of drinks? I know the last two paragraphs may have seemed off-topic to some, but I'll tie it up with this question : What makes you think that teenagers going to frat parties (eighTEEN) can consider any possible consequence of drinking better than adults?

No way. Alcohol is the number one problem among college students in America. It is in the top five causes of death among college age students.

LoS's statement backs me up here. What can assist them in making an informed choice except informing them of the possible risks of drinking, thereby making it a NEGATIVE activity?

Completely agree.

Last edited:

Blackness

Reaction score
You can't marry with 18 in Singapore?
That's just plain retarded, no offense.

Anakin

God Emperor
Reaction score
well to each his own...it does make sense...maybe they find it safer for their children to drink at a younger age rather than to marry at the same age. Maybe drinking would get them to marrying, which would be marriage for the wrong reason! lol. Anyway I don't know why they are not so strict on alcohol here in Belgium, they are only strict when it comes to voting, you have to be 18...but for drinking, marriage and such you can all do that when you are 16....