Looking for names of two books!

Calath

Reaction score
I reckon I won't get any replies on this one, but I'll try anyway. Quite a long time ago now I read alot of fantasy books I found at the library, and recently two of them has been popping up in my mind again. Alas, I can't remember the name of either of them. I'm norwegian, so there's a slight possibility they are norwegian books, but I strongly doubt that seeing as norwegian authors rarely delve into the fantasy-genre. I do remember small bits and pieces of what I think might be from the books, but I'm not sure. They might just be mixtures of books I've read, but here goes;

1. I think the first book started with a boy living in a village where there also lived a local wizard. The boy soon, by some reason, became the wizards pupil, and did street-shows where he transfered pidgeons into dragonish-creatures. I think the Wizard also had a dragon-egg the boy took care of, and the dragon hatched soon after the wizard had left the village for some reason. There's also another thing I remember, but I'm not sure if it's the same book. There's a princess in this memory of mine, inside a mountain, turned to rock by falling into some water of some sort. Also, I think the book ends with the boy and the dragon flying to some sort of "dragon-land". o_o Any clues?

2. This book started out with a valley full of some people, elves I think. Kinda like Rivendale in Lord of the Rings. However, these elves had some sort of Tree of Life, and a group of people was always there to protect and tend to this tree. However, the tree started dying and the group of protectors was murdered. I think the main character of this book traveled alongside with a caravan at one point, but I'm not certain. I also remember some sort of dark woods where there lived a.. witch? And he had a dog or creature of some sort with him that protected him from stuff inside this forest only. If I'm not mistaken, there's also a battle between trolls or something and the elves (or maybe humans?) between two valleysides, kinda inbetween two mountains, where the "good" people was vastly outnumbered.

I'd be really happy to see any answers to this at all. :<

Last edited:
OP
C

Calath

Reaction score
Shanara sounds familiar. Thanks! I'll check it out.

Meteorain

Magical & Mystical
Reaction score
Goddamnit you know I think I've read that first book...but only Tales of Earthsea keeps popping into my head and that's not it >_<

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
its not a pern novel is it?

(funny - earthsea sounds similar now you mention it, but I had Eragon in my mind)

Meteorain

Magical & Mystical
Reaction score
I was thinking it might be Pern one aswell...but I aint read all of them to be too sure (Mcafrey writes too many >_<)

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
its the magic part that sticks out though - I have not read many pern books at all, but they don;t have magic uses in the traditional sense - ok they don't have mages!

OP
C

Calath

Reaction score
I think you're both wrong. I reckon I found the name and it's actually from a norwegian author! Oh my god. xo The title of the book is "The Dragon that Loved Me" and it's about a young boy, Mango, with the dragon-kid, ROsa. The wizard's name was Ator and he had this scary masterplan about building a golem-ish creature under the mountain.

It's a childs book, but I want to read it over again anyway. The second book is correct though, Elfstone of Shannara. Thanks alot people. :3

hendy

Reaction score
book one has some similarities to magician and silverthorn... dragon might be fantus, or thomas dragon, and could be princess carline or princess anita. some of it doesnt match though.

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
only problem with that is that fantus is never an egg - or in the care of pug or thomas at any ponint (infact poor fantus seesm to get forgotten about way too much)