Life.

Running Wolf

Join the Madness
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is right in this section... Anyways.

This is a thread about Life, or, more precise, what Life is.

What is Life, in your opinion?

What do you expect from Life?

What is your ultimate goal in Life?

Is there any Life, or are we all one eternal dream of some :balrog: ?

Should Life be all fun and happy and love? Or should it be balanced?

Which philosophy do you think fits most?

In general: What is coming to your mind, when you think about Life?

Share, let us know, discuss with others about their views, we could try to write down a definiton for *Life* we could become more aware of its worth or doubt it more than ever.

How does that famous song go?

Life is live.

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt84uBuGKNk

^ ^ warning mature and advanced Monty Python humour there

As for life itself I think its one of those things that is oft debated about because we can never fully agree on an answer, just varying viewpoints. Sometimes I wonder if this means that there isn't actually an answer we can understand to the question or that the question itself is not correct.

In the end as for me life is what it is - we each make our own little mark on it in our own way and we have to choose (or have chosen for us) both directly and indirectly the path we take through it. Plus no matter which options we take hindsight is always going to suggest an alternate rout we could possibly have taken.

AlphaAlex

Official Forum Nuisance
Reaction score
the opposite of death

to live

to multiply :D

Last edited:

Nienor

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Life is a board game trade marked by Milton Bradley.

Sometimes I'm a very deep thinker.

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
We had a small discussion in the Poll section about life earlier, this seems to be the offspring :) Said discussion is to be found Here

Running Wolf said:
No, I think that Life IS fun AND neutral AND Horrible. That is what defines life: Stuff that happens.
Personally, my ultimate goal is not to be happy but to be content when the end nears. All this western philosophy about striving for happiness, for excess, for parties, sex drugs n rock'n'roll. That's nonsense. It's shallow (IMO) and it especially doesn't make me content.

I think you misread me - happiness as you described it is shallow. And, in the end, the person who can't be content cannot be happy either. Life is not perfect and the brain is programmed in a way that makes us used to certain situations pretty quickly. So, even if you have everything, you still won't be happy. In stead, one might as well enjoy the journey to and through happiness - that would be much more productive. And I suppose being content is the present tense equivalent of that.

Fun is awesome.
But only if there are times that are no fun.
Happiness is great.
But only when you know the feeling of sadness.
Well, I agree with you there. But I question the significance of this after having concluded that life is a neutral force and that human minds, which includes mine, are merely a figment of firing neurons and chemicals. All in the service, I might add, of our genetic make up. And not the other way around.

Maybe happiness is not realising this - I should have taken the blue pill.

Oh and
@Tur: You misquoted Descartes ^^. He said "I doubt therefore I am" And with all the science we have to analyse and map the brain, we are no closer to the soul or to what makes us what we are. And it's not only the circumstances that make us unique... The soul remains a mystery as of now unsolved.
No... I am pretty sure it's cogito ergo sum. Wiki says so anyway. I don't agree with him, though... I'd say it's I realise that I think - therefore I am. The identity is derived from the realisation. Ow wel...

Ow, and I don't believe in the soul - except when Aretha Franklin is involved ;)

Personally, I think the notion of a soul unimaginatively fills a void in our thinking for not being able to grasp the idea that our body can produce the cogito-ergo-sum experience. Let me be frank, we don't understand the brain. But we have been able to study it - and what it shows doesn't support a higher order to mind or cognition that could be called a soul.

I am even of the opinion that we, that is, our minds, are not the same "person" as we were 10 years ago. What we share with this person in time retracable to ourselves are our genetic make up, and their memories - in part and often, even, augmented.

Blackness

Reaction score
Life is what you make it.
I don't think its anything definable.
Existence equals life, but that doesn't help now does it ^^

Whether its happy, sad, horrible, or wonderful, it's solely on you. Nothing else. There's no event that can change your mind unless you allow it.
Oh, life is also utterly absurd <3

OP
Running Wolf

Running Wolf

Join the Madness
Reaction score
As for life itself I think its one of those things that is oft debated about because we can never fully agree on an answer, just varying viewpoints. Sometimes I wonder if this means that there isn't actually an answer we can understand to the question or that the question itself is not correct.

In the end as for me life is what it is - we each make our own little mark on it in our own way and we have to choose (or have chosen for us) both directly and indirectly the path we take through it. Plus no matter which options we take hindsight is always going to suggest an alternate rout we could possibly have taken.

Totally. If we had found the ultimate answer, I guess most of us would have commited suicide by now... >.>
Also I agree.

Life is a board game trade marked by Milton Bradley.

Sometimes I'm a very deep thinker.

I never thought you'd be that deep. I mean, you're deep, but that deep?

No... I am pretty sure it's cogito ergo sum. Wiki says so anyway. I don't agree with him, though... I'd say it's I realise that I think - therefore I am. The identity is derived from the realisation. Ow wel...

Ow, and I don't believe in the soul - except when Aretha Franklin is involved ;)

Personally, I think the notion of a soul unimaginatively fills a void in our thinking for not being able to grasp the idea that our body can produce the cogito-ergo-sum experience. Let me be frank, we don't understand the brain. But we have been able to study it - and what it shows doesn't support a higher order to mind or cognition that could be called a soul.

I am even of the opinion that we, that is, our minds, are not the same "person" as we were 10 years ago. What we share with this person in time retracable to ourselves are our genetic make up, and their memories - in part and often, even, augmented.

The way Descartes thought was: "How do I know this is all real? I don't. I can't prove the outside world is real. I can't prove others exist either. Hell, do I even exist?... let me think about that... I can doubt the outside world, I can doubt others, I can doubt myself - but I can't doubt that I doubt. And I do doubt, so therefore I am"

Contrary to you I'm a firm believer of a soul. I even believe you have a soul :p

The problem with the soul is the same as it is with God. We can't really prove that it doesn't exist. And we can't prove that it does. So everyone decides for themselves if they believe in a concept of a soul. Of something that makes us unique.

Life
... for me is all the stuff that happens. And that doesn't happen.
All the good things and all the bad.
One huge experience, a gasp of air between the eternity before I was and the eternity after I was.
Life is for me my own conscious small eternity of light in which I get to experience however much I dare to experience.
On that outlook life is pretty sad, because it ends. But the prospect of a conscious eternity is even worse, so life is pretty awesome, I guess.

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
"And I do doubt, so therefore I am"

Contrary to you I'm a firm believer of a soul. I even believe you have a soul :p

Kekeke, you don't seem to agree with Descartes :D

The problem with the soul is the same as it is with God. We can't really prove that it doesn't exist. And we can't prove that it does. So everyone decides for themselves if they believe in a concept of a soul. Of something that makes us unique.
I think we can disprove the soul exsists. The neurosciences are rapidly evolving or, at least, delving deeper into the brain. When one does read the evidence we already have on that matter, I think the hypothesis of the soul isn't the first choice anymore. And, given interpretation one might even disprove it as science stands now. In the end, the mind will unravel - and, unless something drastic happens, no soul will be found underneath.

God, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. Unlike the soul, God might be omnipresent, omnipotent and/or all-knowing. There is no fixed definition for God and, hence, disproving attributes of God doesn't disprove God itself.

Now, I don't blame anyone for believing in God or the soul. However, as far as the soul is concerned, the whole notion is incredible to me, an artifact of thinking, reasoning and intuition before science could give us the answer to the questions at hand.

Life
... for me is all the stuff that happens. And that doesn't happen.
All the good things and all the bad.
One huge experience, a gasp of air between the eternity before I was and the eternity after I was.
Life is for me my own conscious small eternity of light in which I get to experience however much I dare to experience.
On that outlook life is pretty sad, because it ends. But the prospect of a conscious eternity is even worse, so life is pretty awesome, I guess.

Life is what you make it.
I don't think its anything definable.
Existence equals life, but that doesn't help now does it ^^

Whether its happy, sad, horrible, or wonderful, it's solely on you. Nothing else. There's no event that can change your mind unless you allow it.
Oh, life is also utterly absurd <3

Hmm, it appears to me that both of you have tried to capture life based on the experiences you have had so far. To tackle the question at hand this way seems to make sense. However, I have tried to approach it from a different angle recently, since this primerally applies to one person, namely yourself.

In my job, I talk to a lot of people. And all people, it seems, react differently to situations that occur, often in surprising fashion. Thoughs, expectations, experience vary wildly from person to person, much more than I have held possible before. What makes "sense" seems to be completely personal. Now, I think that this is mostly due to a frame of reference that everyone creates in the course of trial, error and experience. This frame of reference, along with one's genetic make up, dictates who you are. These are, of course, the unique stories of life which everyone has. I'm not sure whether I am explaining this the right way, but when they say that there is no nation, only people - I think they are spot on. Every single individual is unique - because of the development of that frame of reference.

Now, that frame of reference and the way we act or react to it is entirely the consequence of how our brains work and learn. We learn from experiencing things, try to re-achieve cetain things, or avoid others. And, most importantly, get used to what we experience. Out brain will configure itself in such a way that we will find our lives normal. (Please do note that our sense of normal can indeed be found to be undesirable when compared to others around us. But that fact that we are who we are and find ourselves in the situation that we do is generally conceived as normal).

Now, getting back to life. Now, I am making a bit of a stretch here, but one could say that our frame of reference is our mind, within the confines of our genetic make up and taking in consideration the subtle preferences that it has. ie, we are what falls within our frame of reference, and are not everything outside that frame. You will note that a frame of reference shifts in time - but that aside. Now, that frame could experience happiness or sadness or joy or... well whatever one experiences. But whatever it does, that frame is neutral; whether it defines something as pleasant or untowards is not that important at all. As a result of that, the mind, and thus life itself, is also neutral. One might even wonder what the loss of the frame of reference in the world means, were it not for the exsistance of empathy and compassion.

Asking, then, what the meaning of life is, I would suggest taking another step back. It would require me to take the mind out of consideration. What we are left with is our genome. When looking at pretty much all processes of life, I have to conclude that we are to be long enough to have about half my DNA recombine with someone else's. Preferrably with at least 100% effectiveness, that is, two offspring who will reach the age of reproduction. Every single process in our biology and, by extend, neurology, is designed only for that purpose. The meaning of life boils down to the notion that we are the slaves of our DNA.

OK, now for those who I have been able to convince, please raise your hand

*tumbleweed*

ScreenXSurfer

Better Than You
Reaction score
I think we can disprove the soul exsists.
There is no such thing as disproof of the unknown.

The neurosciences are rapidly evolving or, at least, delving deeper into the brain. When one does read the evidence we already have on that matter, I think the hypothesis of the soul isn't the first choice anymore. And, given interpretation one might even disprove it as science stands now. In the end, the mind will unravel - and, unless something drastic happens, no soul will be found underneath.

Do you think that even if we could program a human mind, people would say that's evidence that souls don't exist? I'm a materialist, but I recognize I couldn't disprove a dualist.

EDIT: Let me ask my dualist friend who just logged on.

EDIT 2: He says the existence of consciousness would be evidence of a soul.

Last edited:

olivia_the_lamb

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is right in this section... Anyways.

This is a thread about Life, or, more precise, what Life is.

Is there any Life, or are we all one eternal dream of some :balrog: ?

Which philosophy do you think fits most?

In general: What is coming to your mind, when you think about Life?

Share, let us know, discuss with others about their views, we could try to write down a definiton for *Life* we could become more aware of its worth or doubt it more than ever.

How does that famous song go?

Life is live.

Life, in my opinion, is simply existence. It's not about being good or bad, it's just about being.. and about being what and who you want to be. I also think that morals and life and reality are subjective.

I don't expect anything from life. It's not a fair cop, and that's something that most of us get to learn at a young age. I have come to expect that I will have to fight for everything that I want because so far, nothing has come easily. The only thing I truly expect is for life to keep going on, (long after the thrill of living is gone).

My ultimate goal in life is to become my true self. I want to be the person that I think I am, which isn't always easy. Other than that, I have petty and meaningless goals to get myself by ;)

I wonder sometimes whether or not life is real, as sometimes it doesn't feel real. I think it's a possibility that it could all be a dream, maybe something along the lines of the Matrix or whatnot.

The philosophy that suits me most for the moment is Daoism.

In general, what comes to my mind when I think about life is the fact that whether or not it's a dream or real... I want to make the most of it. I want to feel and have relationships and really invest myself in my life, because as far as I know, I only get one.

Western Paladin

Lawful Awesome Overgod
Reaction score
My philosophy is strong agnosticism/nihilism. I don't believe that life has any meaning, I don't believe the existance of eternal soul and therefore, I don't believe in rebirth, heaven or hell.

Totally agree!

Daenerys

Blood of the Dragon
Reaction score

Hummm, life is the state of living

I expect to have fun. I don't expect to die with no regrets, but I expect to die feeling like I've done everything I wanted to do.

To have fun, to love, to experience all that I want to and die satisfied.

Its always going to be balanced, there is no escaping the bad, but you should be able to see that the fun and love and happiness are worth experiencing the bad.

Firiath

Halfling barbarian
Reaction score
As a teenager, my goal in life was to do something great and be remembered for it one day. Nowadays (as an old woman of almost 22), I think about this a bit more rationally - or, what I'd consider rational. I don't think about what might happen after my death or whether someone might remember my name or what I've done. I only live for myself. I want to be happy, content, comfortable with what I'm doing and who I am.
I usually don't think about what life or its sense is. I just simply live. Maybe, in that case, it's the ultimate goal to be able to look back at your past life when you're old and all the positive memories and experience outweigh all the bad things that have happened to you. I haven't really thought about that before, though.