Is the good ol' fantasy really dead? Really?

Midnattblod

Royal Wolf of Shadow
Reaction score
I personally hope that the 'good ole fashion' fantasy never dies. while I do like seeing a bit of creativity when I start a new series, I also like finding a series with it's own world. I see fantasy as an escape. it allows you to experience a brand new world, which you probably wouldn't ever be able to experience any way else. the day tolkienesque fantasy is gone will be a sad day for me personally. I guess that could be because I love medieval history too. but hey whatever.

live long good ole fantasy.

Reaction score
What it really boils down to is "what sells?" The Tolkien fantasy as we know it is sort of fading, not to the degree the person commenting said, but is on a decline. A Song of Ice and Fire is just blowing it away right now and when companies see this they want books of similar style and mood. I personally dislike the series for my own reasons but considering how much attention it has brought back to Fantasy, one has to give it credit and with that amount of attention people will look for the same high, if you will, from other books and so companies have to supply something that can get those folks attention. I saw the same thing when the Lord of the Rings movies dropped. The books took off and a lot more of the classic style of High Fantasy came out. I wish this sort of thing would happen with sword and sorcery. I'm a huge Conan fan and would love to see that genre make a comeback. My own wishes aside, I think High Fantasy will always have it`s place and live on but unless something brings it back in, it won't trend so much.

OP
Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar

Beard Lover
Reaction score
There's no arguing that GRRM's books and the show puts no lid on brutalities, and is very much a series for adults. And although there are dragons, there are no elves and only one dwarf! And the magic is all... serious. And strange.
I love the books, but I really hope that this fantasy style will be the norm in the future!

Have to correct myself! I meant that I hope this fantasy style WILL NOT be the norm in the future. And I am also a fan of Conan, and would like to see this comeback.

And I guess as aspiring writers, it's really up to us to try and make it so. Whether it will sell and become something the audience will want to buy, will be exciting to find out.