Is Butterbeer Alcoholic?

JIM

zombie Turncoat
Reaction score
hey, sharoosunidhi, nothing wrong with getting drunk:screwyou:

Barry Trotter

Reaction score
But maybe it's a bit like allowing students to have mulled wine over Christmas or sometimes even a glass of wine, you know? I reackon it's a TINY bit alcholic, even less then an alco pop. And that's why they are allowed it. And Rosmerta knows who is a student in Hogsmede so she would never serve them more than a couple of bottles...

wakacje

Last edited:

Indigo Orchid

Caveo Discipulo
Reaction score
It is alcoholic. But it has very small amounts of alcohol. I suppose about 3%, nearly nothing. And remembr, it's set in Britain. Children over the age of 5 are allowed to drink alcohol under parental control. Actually, children often drink small amounts of acohol, here in Europe. It's very different than in the U.S.

Midnattblod

Royal Wolf of Shadow
Reaction score
honestly it's probably less then 1% APC because there are 'Alcoholic' drinks that have 0.5%. plus as was mentioned above, the US is probably one of the more strict drinking age limitationed countries out there. while there are drinking ages out there, they aren't enforced like they are in the US. at least not to the same extent.

Indigo Orchid

Caveo Discipulo
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. Well, about the butterbeer, they said in the books it was "not very strong" for humans. So I presume a small percentage humans won't actually mind - while elves does.

As for the drinking age . that's just it. Remember the children in Narnia drinking wine. Of course, we have drinking ages in Europe. But while no one would ever dare to give a child in the U.S. the tiniest swallow of wine, children drinking small amounts of alcohol (a half glass of champagne at New Year's Eve, etc. or a small glass of wine at a large family dinner) is totally normal and noone would ever mind. No one minds here in Germany and I am sure they especially don't mind in GB. Especially since children are partly allowed to drink alcohol. And Hogwarts and Hogsmeade are in Scotland - you are of age at the age of 16 in Scotland. Over here in North Germany we have "Seehund". That means sea dog and it's a mix of egg liqueur and orange lemonade (fanta, etc.) It tastes gross but it's common at children's birthday parties.
It's not legal, but it's etablished. Even though it got stricter in the last years. But the HP books are set about twenty years ago.

I hardly doubt anyone in a tiny wizard village in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Scotland would ever mind some teenagers drinking very light beer.

Last edited: