How Lee could've won the American Civil War

warrior_squirrel21

the poor mans old breed
Reaction score
At the battle of Gettysburg Lee was faced with many decisions, most of them were foolishly made, and cost the South the war. But if he had said/not said one word in the battle, I'm convinced that the South would have ended up victorious in Gettysburg, and overall in the war.
The word of corse, is "practicable"
On the first day of battle, Lee sent an important order to General George Ewell to take a key hill. The only flaw was that Lee had writin in the message, "Take the hill if practicable."
Ewell, having been fighting all that day, decided that his men were to tired, the terrain to steep, and was afraid that there would be plenty of Federal troops on the hill already(which of corse there were none) Therfore he found it not practicable, and Yankees took the hill the next day.
If Lee had made the order say, "Take the hill." and spared his politeness, the South may have won.

Kakashi

Call me Deacon Blues
Reaction score
They could have won Gettysburg, but I think the North ultimately would have won the Civil War.

But very insightful.. and who knows- we could still have slavery today :D

Greybeard

Geezer
Reaction score
The US Civil War was not lost on a battlefield, or any combination of battlefields. It was lost in the Confederacy's inability to match the Union's population or production.

The only way for the South to win the war was to somehow get George McClellan elected in 1864.

Still, you may be right about winning Gettysburg.

Kakashi

Call me Deacon Blues
Reaction score
Even if the South HAD won, the Southerners would have just revolted after a while because the South had ultimately no way of supporting themselves.

Foinikas

Playing backgammon!
Reaction score
The problem was from what I've read that no matter how many times the Confederates won in battle and no matter how many times they crushed their opponents in battles and in skirmishes etc. the North would always come up with more soldiers and constantly produce almost endless amounts of equipment.So...the Confederation knew that they wouldn't be able to win the won if this kept for too long,but they just hoped to fight long enough until the people of the North got angry and weary of this whole fighting and came to a deal with the South.