How does everybody like Sanderson?

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone who has read WoT feels about the job Brandon Sanderson is doing in finishing it for Robert Jordan?

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
I agree! He seems to move the plot along faster too. I suspect (purely speculation on my part) that Robert Jordan was a "discovery writer" - he discovers his story as he writes it. I think Discovery writers have a tendency to ramble and form extremely convoluted plots with lots of details. Brandon Sanderson is a self-proclaimed "outliner" - he plots out everything ahead of time.. that might explain why he seems to be running a tighter ship. I have to say that I still miss Jordan however... was horrified to read way back when that he was probably going to pass away before he could finish WoT... so sad! I read a quote on Twitter the other day that I assume he wrote before he died. It was: "To Lews Therin: good luck!" I got a big lump in my throat over that one.

JNK

King of tards
Reaction score
untimely demise of RJ was undoubtedly really really sad... But I was happy, that BS got the job. I did not know hi before that, and now he's one of my favorites... cannot wait for his books!!

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
Yup, that was how I discovered him too. I think I read "Warbreaker" first and I finished the Mistborn series this past spring. I absolutely loved "The Alloy of Law" too....lots of action, humour and even a little bit of romance in that one.... very entertaining! "Way of Kings" was excellent once I got into it (took me 450 pages to get hooked) but I found it really slow to start. I only stuck with it because I was fairly sure Brandon Sanderson wouldn't disappoint me and I was right.

JNK

King of tards
Reaction score
My first was Elantis, then Mistborn, and only then Warbreaker...
The Stormlight Archive has a potential to be even better than WOT... we'll see... And he also plans to have 3 trilogies of Mistborn. That sounds awesome. The dude is really prolific... while dudes like Pat Rothfuss are playing with one book, he's producing 2-3 at the same time...

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
I heard the same about Mistborn: that he wants to do three trilogies, each set in different time periods in the same world and each one more technologically advanced than the last. I loved the Alloy of Law so much that I can't wait to read them!
I think the Stormlight archive is going to be amazing too. Wheel of Time is a pretty tough act to follow, but I think Sanderson is up to the challenge.

JNK

King of tards
Reaction score
wow now I'm waiting for those: Legion (novella) (forthcoming August 31, 2012), The Emperor's Soul (forthcoming November 1, 2012)

Heaven's Cloud

Reaction score
I'm loving Sanderson's work on the Wheel of Time. He is exactly what the series needed. I can remember reading
that RJ just wasn't up to to addressing all the multitudes of loose threads that were left hanging. Sanderson took a completely
different approach to finishing the Wheel of Time, which I think will ultimately be more fulfilling. I think maybe his version of
Matrim ogles women just a tad too much, but other than that, reading Sanderson is proving to be far more exciting than RJ in his last 5 books.

JNK

King of tards
Reaction score
I don't think he changed Mat at all... mat was like that all the time: drink, gamble and chicks.... I love Mat!

OP
S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind

Flashlight Shadowhunter
Reaction score
I gotta admit that Mat is one of my favourite WoT characters too. I especially like how he tries so hard not to corrupt little Olver, always admonishing the boy's "uncles" to stop ogling women and objectifying them. Oh the irony of it all..... XD