How are the Audio Books?

Confessor

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I was curious as to whether or not anyone here in this section has any of the Sword of Truth Books on Audio CD? I have listened to only one audio CD book and that was The Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling. I really enjoyed listening to it. If anyone here does have one of the books on CD, what are your thoughts? Do you think the cds are better than picking up the book and reading it? Does the narrator give each of the characters their own voice? Also, how much do you pay for an audio book? Are they really expensive? In your opinion are they worth the money? I'm looking at purchasing Wizard's First Rule, Stone of Tears, Temple of the Winds, and Faith of the Fallen - considering those are my Absolute Favorite novels from the entire series. Thoughts and comments are welcome! Thanks!

Last edited:

jhsierra

Reaction score
I think it depends on your personality really.

I have found that I tune out after awhile when listening to an audio cd. I get a far better feeling when reading a book though. :)

Devek

Reaction score
Audible.com has all the the series available. I believe they are unabridged recordings.

~Elladan~

A Elbereth Gilthoniel
Reaction score
Haven't got any of the SoT on Audio Book but have got LoTR. The reason I bought it was not as a substitute for reading but to listen to when I just didn't have the spare time to read ~ like when I was driving or working from home.

The LoTR ones are either unabridged or dramatised. The latter have a 'cast' of readers for the different characters. The former are narrated by one person ~ for LoTR & The Hobbit it's Rob Inglis, for The Children of Hurin, Christopher Lee (both excellent) ~ who will put a spin on how each characters sounds. I've got both LoTR sets (sad I know!) and prefer the non-dramatised ones.

The crunch issue for all audio books is who the narrator is. I strongly advise listening to the samples on sites like audible or use iTunes if you're an iPod'r! Some narrators have a voice which really gets on your nerves so spoils your enjoyment of the story. I've got the first David Eddings' book and the narrator was so irritating I couldn't get the rest.

If you're looking at CD's you may be able to get those from your library. You can pick some of those really cheap on Amazon. I just go for downloads. Cost UK is about a tenner ($14) but the US is probably cheaper than that as we get overcharged for everything :(

Last edited: