Hermione

Reaction score
Ok both of Hermione's parents are muggles so when they got the letter saying that she had been excepted to Hogwarts - why did they believe??? Surely they wouldve thought it to have been a joke. Your thoughts please.

Nienor

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with you there. I can't imagine the initial reaction of two Muggle parents to receiving a letter from Hogwarts. Probably assume someone is playing a practical joke on them.

The only thing I can guess is there are more magical rumors in the muggle world than the wizards believe. It's possible the Muggles know a bit about the wizarding world and choose to keep their mouths shut.

javelin98

does anyone read these?
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't just get the letter. Maybe a wizard or witch visited them and gave them the standard recruiting pitch:

"In many ways, wizarding schools have more similarities than differences. Yet Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry has a uniqueness in providing programs that are consistent in excellence across the board, from arcane arts and inhumanities to the hard magical sciences. We find that our most prepared students are those who may wish to take difficult classes in Summoning yet perform with the Quidditch team or take a major character role in a campus coven or exorcism. You will find that our students have such diversity of interests that a Precognition major may be taking a minor in English, or a Magical Creatures major may have a minor in art.

We can proudly state that this balance of programs is based on our long tradition as a leading magical arts institution combined with our position as one of the top ten wizarding schools in generating Eldritch-based revenues. We have met the challenge to provide the breadth of opportunity needed to prepare our graduates for further study in a graduate program or to enter directly into a meaningful and rewarding career, such as with the Ministry of Magic or as a vaunted Auror.

From Prestidigitation, Necromancy, and Clairvoyance to music, Quidditch, and dancing naked under the moon, the environment is rich for you to reach the highest levels of educational creativity.

What will you remember as you prepare for your 20th year HSOWAW reunion? Some of you may remember the time you spent doing research on cockatrice DNA or the special relationship you had with a faculty mentor. Yet you may find that your most fond memories were of the academy experience:

• Living away from home,
  • Getting to know people from all over the world,
  • The late night conversations with friends (some of which may even have been related to your classes! Or necromancy!),
  • Watching your team win the Quidditch Cup,
  • Surviving the exploits of three-headed dogs and marauding lizard-things,
  • Being elected to Head Boy,
  • Researching how to turn cotton nightgowns invisible,
  • Imbibing strange and wonderful new potions that you made yourself (note: Hogwarts is not liable for lasting effects of imbibing strange potions),
  • Hunting unicorn-killing giant spiders in our local arboretum,
  • Telling your roommate's mother how much time he spends in the hospital wing,
  • Simply the experience of being in a single place with so many exciting people, many of whom just might be possessed.

For many Hogwarts graduates, the experience of learning at our traditional residential campus is the greatest value of a wizarding education. When you combine that with what you will learn in the classroom, dungeon, or séance, you will find the great value of attending Hogwarts."

Something along those lines, anyway. Something Muggles could relate to.

Last edited:

Hermione

Silent Arrow of Legolas
Reaction score
Mabe there was a person somewhere along the line who was a wizard. But the next generation were not gifted and when Hermione came along they found that the tallent had grown back.

World builder 316

Ceasar of the Hobos
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't at first, but the letters kept coming, like to Harry in the first story. If letters poured down my chimney, I think I would believe what they said. Even if they didn't totally, they could have went to platform 9 3/4 and checked. Maybe Hermione made them. Girls who are their parents only child have alot of power.

isengard111

The Master Chief
Reaction score
I'm with the 'wizard delivering the letters' theory. The wizard (or witch) could perform some magic and convince them it's not a joke.

spectre

Reaction score
im convinced that she would believe it the first time becuase through out the book she has this certain attitude of always haveing bad or somtimes good feelings about things and that coulda been one of them.

KeyGirl

Reaction score
To me the idea of a wizard delivering the letters is most believable simply because of the global picture. No matter how down-to-earth person Hermione is, think of all the other kind in her position. These are more then a couple of cases each year and they all have to be made to understand and believe.

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Hermione always felt she was different. Once she found out what exactly that was, at the arrival of the Hogwarts letter, her parents supported her. I think I've read "Her parents always supported her" at least a dozen times now...

Besides, for all those who read HBP; we've seen Dumbledore muster a student, back when he wasn't headmaster. Maybe teachers make house visits to all muggle-born aspiring students over the summer?

By the way, I assume everyone read how Hogwarts students are chosen? It's like, McGonagall's office holds a magic quill that writes down the names of children with wizarding power born in Brittain. I guess the deputy-headmaster holds it by tradition. Once they reach eleven, they are invited to Hogwarts. Traditionally, by means of a letter, yes... But who knows, Muggle-borns are rare compared to wizards with at least one magic parent. I guess there will be like a hand full of them entering Hogwarts each year. My preference goes to special attention for the muddies :)

Interesting discussion, though :)

Carline of Crydee

Beyond eternity
Reaction score
I agree, I think she had some strange experiences that you couldn't say were normal.
I do wonder where she gets the money to buy books. Or do her parents exchange their muggle-money for wizard-money?

BaD_BoY

Reaction score
Maybe they didn't just get the letter. Maybe a wizard or witch visited them and gave them the standard recruiting pitch:

"In many ways, wizarding schools have more similarities than differences. Yet Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry has a uniqueness in providing programs that are consistent in excellence across the board, from arcane arts and inhumanities to the hard magical sciences. We find that our most prepared students are those who may wish to take difficult classes in Summoning yet perform with the Quidditch team or take a major character role in a campus coven or exorcism. You will find that our students have such diversity of interests that a Precognition major may be taking a minor in English, or a Magical Creatures major may have a minor in art.

We can proudly state that this balance of programs is based on our long tradition as a leading magical arts institution combined with our position as one of the top ten wizarding schools in generating Eldritch-based revenues. We have met the challenge to provide the breadth of opportunity needed to prepare our graduates for further study in a graduate program or to enter directly into a meaningful and rewarding career, such as with the Ministry of Magic or as a vaunted Auror.

From Prestidigitation, Necromancy, and Clairvoyance to music, Quidditch, and dancing naked under the moon, the environment is rich for you to reach the highest levels of educational creativity.

What will you remember as you prepare for your 20th year HSOWAW reunion? Some of you may remember the time you spent doing research on cockatrice DNA or the special relationship you had with a faculty mentor. Yet you may find that your most fond memories were of the academy experience:

• Living away from home,
  • Getting to know people from all over the world,
  • The late night conversations with friends (some of which may even have been related to your classes! Or necromancy!),
  • Watching your team win the Quidditch Cup,
  • Surviving the exploits of three-headed dogs and marauding lizard-things,
  • Being elected to Head Boy,
  • Researching how to turn cotton nightgowns invisible,
  • Imbibing strange and wonderful new potions that you made yourself (note: Hogwarts is not liable for lasting effects of imbibing strange potions),
  • Hunting unicorn-killing giant spiders in our local arboretum,
  • Telling your roommate's mother how much time he spends in the hospital wing,
  • Simply the experience of being in a single place with so many exciting people, many of whom just might be possessed.

For many Hogwarts graduates, the experience of learning at our traditional residential campus is the greatest value of a wizarding education. When you combine that with what you will learn in the classroom, dungeon, or séance, you will find the great value of attending Hogwarts."

Something along those lines, anyway. Something Muggles could relate to.

yes...maybe their got that letter....