He is Dead

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Highlander anyone? He was Scottish as well (as, apparently, the location of Hogwarts is...). Stealing is a relative term... Besides, Albus would NEVER choose to be a ghost. Which is the only way, in the HP world to linger on in the real world. Albus doesn't fear death. He will have "moved on".

No, JKR said about the portraits that they are merely a reflection of the person. Although the behavior strongly resembles the real person, the image is just that. She said that the paintings will keep repeating the same words and lines. I don't think Harry will be able to unroot the deepest thoughts of Dumbledores trough the painting in his office....

However, we DO konow that JKR hinted that we'd see the veil in book 5 again. You know, the one Sirius fell in? It's not too hard to imagine that it's indeed a portal to the realm of the dead (to which NH Nick hinted in his coversation about death). If ever he wants to contact Albus, that's his only chance. Whether the book 7 will turn that way, is highly doubtfull. Apparently, Harry is all too aware he is to resolve this on his own...

MasterofReality

The Fighters Guide House Member
Reaction score
It sucks Dumbledore died. I think it had to happen though. In some part in the book Harry sees Dumbledore and Snape walking in the forest and Dumbledores tells him he has to do something. I think Snape had to kill Dumbledore so he could get the other deatheaters to trust him more, so that in the end on the final battle Snape can turn around and help Harry kill Voldement. I don't think its a new theory but, I haven't really looked at too many harry potter sites to know what everone else thinks. I'd be surprised if it wasn't already thought of, but I came up with it on my own.

BaD_BoY

Reaction score
actualy...i hate Dumbledore...
I'm glad he's dead :)

clouded_perception

clouded_perception
Reaction score
Hey! Dumbledore rocks! Well, for the first couple of books he's an idiot, letting his students run around nearly getting themselves killed... but after that he becomes awesome.

Kaiser

Mau-Mau
Reaction score
I think Rowling got sick tired of all the fans making weird theories for Sirius to come back, so when she had to kill another character, she wanted to make crystal clear that he was dead.

If she were to revive Dumbledore, it'd ruin the entire purpose of at least the three final chapters of HBP, something that'd be horrible.

I mean, if death loses its significance in the plot by reviving everyone, what's the point on killing them?

stevenlink1

Knight of Hyrule
Reaction score
If she were to revive Dumbledore, it'd ruin the entire purpose of at least the three final chapters of HBP, something that'd be horrible.

I mean, if death loses its significance in the plot by reviving everyone, what's the point on killing them?

True. Also, for a character to qualify as an epic hero, he has to have a mentor that either leaves him or dies. Dumbledore would never have abondoned Harry, so he had to die.

chimera_789

Queen of Air and Darkness
Reaction score
It was clear Dumbledore would have to die from the very first book. The final showdown was setup to be Harry/Voldemort and you can have Harry take that final step in his development towards that ultimate end without removing his wise teacher. He has to be able to stand on his own and he wouldn't be able to if he could still run to Dumbledore for help.

That being said, am I the only one who noticed that Dumbledore was acting strangely out of character in the last third of the book. It didn't feel like the same guy at all. It kinda threw me off.

Which brings me to -- As much as I have enjoyed this series and hate for it to end, its best that it does. The story construction was slipping with the last two books so hopefully with only one more it will end before the quality is totally lost. (Laurell K. Hamilton, take note.) Besides its the logical story conclusion with the 7th book so there should be the right amount of closure. And when an author writes too many books in a series just to keep it going, they get really repetitive. (Redwall anyone?)