Harry Potter Illegally using magic????

Sïalla

Reaction score
haha with a crystal ball! imagine a department just with a buch of old wizards staring at them :saurumon: :D
but, either knowing exactly who did the magic or just the location, it's still an interesting question.

Yeah that's true it never is explained how they find out xD
And surely the children of magical parents don't get in trouble for waving wands around? Is that because they're on private property of strictly magical people or whut? XD

Yee I guess it must be because of that =o every wizard family must have to tell the ministry where they live and they 'mark' that area as 'underaged magic allowed' xD maybe?

Ruffian

Reaction score
Yee I guess it must be because of that =o every wizard family must have to tell the ministry where they live and they 'mark' that area as 'underaged magic allowed' xD maybe?

Or maybe the MofM assumes that wizarding parents can keep a hairy eye on their kids and keep them out of trouble. Clearly the Ministry has about 7 rather thick books' worth of reading to do, or they would know better, lol.

Jingojolene

Wayfarer, heartlander
Reaction score
A spell like that makes sense, because I refuse to believe that the MoM have special seeing powers. I agree with Sialla [btw that's a pretty name and one, with your permission, I would like to use in future for some currently non existent fantasy story!!], parents must have to mark their homes, but then, in the Weasley's house, the mother scalds Fred and George when they use magic - however their creation of magical sweets and toys was totally okay. Or was that after they came of age?
I need to re-read the books >.<'

wanderingmagus

King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D
Reaction score
if they could track anybody using magic then wouldn't it be quite easy to find voldemort anytime he used magic? and the other way around, for anybody to find out where Harry was even if he's trying to hide?

Ser Land

Reaction score
A spell like that makes sense, because I refuse to believe that the MoM have special seeing powers. I agree with Sialla [btw that's a pretty name and one, with your permission, I would like to use in future for some currently non existent fantasy story!!], parents must have to mark their homes, but then, in the Weasley's house, the mother scalds Fred and George when they use magic - however their creation of magical sweets and toys was totally okay. Or was that after they came of age?
I need to re-read the books >.<'

At that time, the twins were 16, therefore, not yet of age. However, the magic was imbued in an object, not in a magician.

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Rowling said a thing or two about these sort of things. I remember the things Ser Land said earlier to be correct - the MoM can't see who used magic at a certian place; only that it indeed has been used. Combined with proximity to a wizard does the MoM conclude that magic might have been used illegally. By the Priori Incantatum spell, at least the guilty wand can be pointed out. Apparently, it's up to the parents to keep their children from using magic in a magical household.

Harry wouldn't have been able to practice with his wand under the blanket without being noticed.

It does hit a snag though; quite a bit of magic was used by the OoTP to get Harry out of Privet Drive, if I remember correctly.

Jingojolene

Wayfarer, heartlander
Reaction score
if they could track anybody using magic then wouldn't it be quite easy to find voldemort anytime he used magic? and the other way around, for anybody to find out where Harry was even if he's trying to hide?

Very true!!

Hmm. The pondering continues.

wanderingmagus

King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D
Reaction score
how about all the magic going around in chamber of secrets? auntie inflating, etc.