Game controversies:When do the companies overdo it?

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
Not all gamers think the same, not all people that read books are the same, not all people that watch movies are the same. While these pictures loo great the variety of games are akin to that of movies and books. Some people like plot driven, some like action, some like a cheap laugh.

azuren82

Berserk got banned...
Reaction score
First things first, I agree with what BFD and LY said. If the kids can end up having their heads firmly screwed on in terms of differentiating reality and virtual, then even tho the parents have to set them into order, at the end of the day everything should be fine.

And Sparrow, this is abt the debating on the limits of video gaming realism. I don't fault what you're trying to put across in this area, but posting personal attacks... you're not gonna contribute to anything constructive on this end. Also there's such a thing called supply and demand where diff genres will have their diff audience reach. I think this is what you're trying to put across, unto which Foi must accept this very reality. Given the type of emotional guy he is tho... well let's just stop at that. More than you, I do understand his character. More often than not, anything to do with Greek-Turkish politics that he raised up would be a no-go boundary for me. Moral of the story: You don't end up poking the backside of an emotional person anyhow b/c that will just complicate stuff beyond necessary. -.-

bloodfiredeath

Die by the Sword
Reaction score
a game that had the participant traveling back in time to assassinate famous and infamous historical figures... including Jesus Christ.

An idea that is a complete rip off the theme and lyrical content of the 1990 Nocturnus album "The Key".

Sparrow

Reaction score
An idea that is a complete rip off the theme and lyrical content of the 1990 Nocturnus album "The Key".

Yeah... how many people listened to, or even heard of 'Nocturnus'... perhaps a dozen?

And there are no original ideas, most especially in the video game industry.
Everything under the sun has already been done.

bloodfiredeath

Die by the Sword
Reaction score
Yeah... how many people listened to, or even heard of 'Nocturnus'... perhaps a dozen?

Well it sold around 70,000 copies...probably mainly to nerdy basement dwelling types who went on to "work" in gaming software development!! :p

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score

And there are no original ideas, most especially in the video game industry.
Everything under the sun has already been done.

You sound like a photographer ;)

Tecdavid

Reaction score
I wouldn't say there's any particular type of game which has annoyed me. Rather, I find some companies' direction and actions to be what's controversial - such as Pokemon's habit of releasing two near-identical games, just to follow up with a third version boasting everything from the first two, and a fair bit more.
DLC is, admittedly, great for games everyone loves and wants more of, but all too often they'll attempt to package things which really ought to have been part of the full game as add-ons you'll have to spend more for. Such as Fable III's quest expansions: you need to buy them in order to earn all the game's achievements.
Lastly, there's companies buying the rights to beloved characters and franchises, just to do away with everything their fans loved, and replacing them with some shady, experimental concept, much like Activision has done with Spyro. :( It's clearly done out of fear that their new ideas wont be picked up on, so they slap a familiar face on 'em to draw a greater crowd.
These things suggest games companies are starting to care far more about income than any passion they pour into their work. :(

OP
Foinikas

Foinikas

Playing backgammon!
Reaction score
That's true Tecdavid,unfortunately many companies(ahem Blizzard...)tend to care more about making another billion dollars to their already reach company instead of actually moving on and creating different stuff.I mean come on let's face it they've been milking people's money with WOW and they've been using 3 main franchises to make money:Warcraft,Starcraft,Diablo.They have hardly made any effort to make a new good franchise.

JIM

zombie Turncoat
Reaction score
Something that bothered me and shocked me came from a company that doesn't even cause any controversies!Yes ladies and gentlemen there I was playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2,a game of one of my favorite series ever,where I got the controversial map that caused such a stir.
Suddenly...the game allows you not only to witness but also take part in a slaughter of civilians and soldiers in Russia and that's where the spoilers stop,the game actually let's you do that,although at the beginning it warns you that some parts of the game might be offensive and you can choose to skip it.I was shocked.I mean I had read some stuff about it but I never really imagined it would have been so disturbing and offensive.

What do you guys think about gaming controversies,do you think that some companies overdo it by far sometimes?

you mean where you go through the centre and blast everyone?
dooooooooode that soooooooooooooooooooo rocked, i was even going into shops blasting people we had missed

OP
Foinikas

Foinikas

Playing backgammon!
Reaction score
No it was an Airport map thing.Maybe you're confusing it with another game?Because I think there are similarities with Battlefield 3 or something!

Tecdavid

Reaction score
That's true Tecdavid,unfortunately many companies(ahem Blizzard...)tend to care more about making another billion dollars to their already reach company instead of actually moving on and creating different stuff.I mean come on let's face it they've been milking people's money with WOW and they've been using 3 main franchises to make money:Warcraft,Starcraft,Diablo.They have hardly made any effort to make a new good franchise.

That's very true, Foinikas. I think another example would be - and I'm sorry to say this since you seem to like the franchise - Call of Duty. A vast amount of games have been released, but do they really differ to the point where it's worth dishing out another $60? It seems to me that each new game's features would work just as well as a DLC pack for the previous instalment. However, I say this in partial ignorance, as although I've seen the games being played many times, I've never really indulged in them myself. So perhaps I'm missing something. Sorry if so.