Game controversies:When do the companies overdo it?

Foinikas

Playing backgammon!
Reaction score
Being a gamer for almost all my life,I'm not one to get easily offended or annoyed by gaming controversies.
Rarely has violence in a video-game bothered me and it's true that few times have I worried about games getting off limits.

However lately I've been thinking that sometimes,some companies get way off the thin line that borders acceptable and provocative.
Maybe it's because I was watching videos about gaming controversies,maybe it's because I watched the "All your history" episodes about Rockstar games...something inside me said that there are times when companies overdo it and go to the other side,to the provocative part of gaming.For example Manhunt.That's one game I wouldn't let the market sell if I could.
Some morons in USA and other countries complained about another game of Rockstar,one that I recently bought which is called Bully.Games like Bully and Grand Theft Auto are for me acceptable,however games like Manhunt,that torture game that caused chaos a few months ago and Carmaggedon...which also caused chaos and controversy when it came out,are ridiculously violent and sadistic,to the point of not being games anymore.

Something that bothered me and shocked me came from a company that doesn't even cause any controversies!Yes ladies and gentlemen there I was playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2,a game of one of my favorite series ever,where I got the controversial map that caused such a stir.
Suddenly...the game allows you not only to witness but also take part in a slaughter of civilians and soldiers in Russia and that's where the spoilers stop,the game actually let's you do that,although at the beginning it warns you that some parts of the game might be offensive and you can choose to skip it.I was shocked.I mean I had read some stuff about it but I never really imagined it would have been so disturbing and offensive.

What do you guys think about gaming controversies,do you think that some companies overdo it by far sometimes?

Sparrow

Reaction score
uh, it's just a game.

If the game is too violent, sexual, or "provocative", "disturbing", "offensive" for you, then don't buy it.

And you shouldn't be playing video games anyway. What a horrible waste of time.

OP
Foinikas

Foinikas

Playing backgammon!
Reaction score
Uuuuhhhh you're acting like the typical noob who pretends to be cool with this going "uuuh it's just a game".Right,it's just a game,that's what I say about most games,however games that go far over the fence by containing detailed scenes of graphic violence,for example murdering people with pretty nast sadistic ways or eliminating civilians in one of the best selling games ever...well that's kind of serious,it does get concerning.

And of course the troll Sparrow says it's a waste of time to play video games.Right and it's not a waste of time to post on a thread about games that logically doesn't concern you since games are a bloody waste of time my dear?

Kakashi

Call me Deacon Blues
Reaction score
I haven't seen any games that have offended me. That being said I haven't played many controversial games. I loved GTA/Saints Row but I'm not sure why that didn't offend me :D maybe because it's just so fun

I'll have to see the COD thing to make a decision though

Firiath

Halfling barbarian
Reaction score
I'll make it short: As long as the people playing all these games know how to differentiate the in-game reality from reality, I'd say it's all okay. There are people who regard video games as a form of art (which is not really my opinion, but that would be another discussion) and art tends to become more and more provocative. That's the way it goes.

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
I'll make it short: As long as the people playing all these games know how to differentiate the in-game reality from reality, I'd say it's all okay. There are people who regard video games as a form of art (which is not really my opinion, but that would be another discussion) and art tends to become more and more provocative. That's the way it goes.

Exactly, should we ban violent books? What about violent movies? Not all games are meant to be fun, some are meant to rile and inspire emotion like books and movies. To me they are as much art as movies and books are considered art. They are all stories told through different mediums.

The price of freedom is freedom itself, you can censor everything and live in a hollow world of utopian peace. Or live in a real world with suffering and love, and things that make us all cringe.

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
Eh killing the innocent is nothing new in games nor books.

Heck in RTS games I can kill billions with a world invasion! Bomb them - incinerate them - use chemical and biological warfare; and if you want to get personal in Hitman I've killed bellboys just to deliver towels to people (ok said towel also came with a bullet in the back of the neck for the guy, but eh;))

OP
Foinikas

Foinikas

Playing backgammon!
Reaction score
Don't take me wrong guys I'm 100% with you but lately I've seen some stuff that shocked even me when it came to gaming violence.And I do feel that some companies have gone too far!Seriously...Rockstar studios likes to provoke again and again,that's ok since they make good games but....Manhunt?That's way too far.
And that map in CoD Modern Warfare 2 was too much.Letting you take control of a character who takes part in a massacre of civilians and army as well...for an entire map...in a game that is known for it's relative realism.

Lord Yuan

Hell Woman
Reaction score
Think about why these games are violent not just because they are. You don't have to shoot anybody in the MW2, you can just keep walking. But mind you that you are with a group of terrorists all the while. It is a psychological game, do you shoot the people because you want them to trust you or do you not shoot them as they are innocent and you are under cover? It brings in morality, a choice. Are the deaths of these people worth your cover within their group? Could you save more lives playing along?

And I'm sure Manhunt has it's own plot. These are more than murder simulators they are stories.

OP
Foinikas

Foinikas

Playing backgammon!
Reaction score
I didn't wanna spoil the plot but you said it :p Yeah I didn't shoot any of them but I was sooo disgusted to see all that in a video-game.I do understand that it's a vital part of the plot but they could have just skipped or narrated it.Yeah I know you can choose not to view it but again I'm thinking...what the heck are the guys at Infinity Ward doing?Have they gone insane?They've been making a fantastic games and suddenly this brutal scene?I was shocked.
As for Manhunt the main character is supposed to be some prisoner who was to be executed but somehow got to live with the help of a crazy guy who wants him to kill other criminals so he can make a movie out of it and in the game you get to kill them in really brutal ways.Shocking and disgusting.I hate that game.
Now I do have GTA San Andreas and GTA 1 for Playstation 1 and I understand that many people can find these games controversial but...they tend to be less "realistic" and more cartoony.In a way.

Overread

Wolfing it up!
Staff member
Reaction score
Fion I suggest you don't play Hitman games

and I'd avoid Unreal tournament

and no way are you allowed near Red Alert (I kinda... like - ran over a lot of people with tanks - back in the day when they went squish rather than in the modern games where they just sorta fall over like a bad sprite!)

OP
Foinikas

Foinikas

Playing backgammon!
Reaction score
Again,I have to tell you that I am NOT one of the people who nag about violence in video-games.On the contrary you'll find me defending video-games in other similar threads.What I am stressing in this thread is when companies overdo it and go too far.So far that they can make even crazy players wonder about the thinking of the game creators and what they were smoking when they had those weird ideas.
Don't confuse this thread with the previous "games are the fault of all wrongs in today's society" kind f threads!Instead,find the games or parts of video-games that made you wonder if the developers had crossed the line and became too provoking.

P.S.I hate the Hitman series,I have Red Alert and I absolutely love horror games :p