Formal Harry Potter Debate

Nerdanel

[...The Wise...]
Reaction score
I've debated on LotR, politics, religion, on and on.

But I've never had a Harry Potter debate and I think this could be the place to begin.

I predict Nienor would probably like to be involved, but we'd need more volunteers to get it started.

We'd need a:

A host: to think of a topic, post it, and regulate the debate. The debate could last for a set period of time, (7 days) and the host would keep time and make sure to end the debate when time was up.

2 judges: The host would also be a judge, but we'd need two other judges to approve the topic the host picks (to make sure it's a good one) and later to judge on the debate.

To determine who has the first post, and the decision of which side of the debate to take: We determine something BEFORE the two debators are chosen. Say the person with the least amount of posts (courtesy to the less experienced) can go first, or the person with the most (courtesy to the elders) can go first, or the person whose agexshoe size is closest to a number picked by the judges and host. :)

Then we set up a new thread, and start the debate. It will be professional and free of personal attacks.

And we see if it flies. :)

I like this idea.

And I like Balrogs. :) :balrog:

Nienor

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Debates ala Halls of Mandos, Nerdanel? Sounds like fun. :)
Does anyone want to debate or judge?

OP
Nerdanel

Nerdanel

[...The Wise...]
Reaction score
Yay! People to help! :)

And actually, I consider them debates ala TTF, because that's where I first came into contact with the debates.
:D

I'd like to debate...but I'm afraid. :)

Nienor

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll debate with you, if Arwen wants to judge. BTW, the judge should come up with the topic. Better than the infamous, "Gandalf good" one. haha

OP
Nerdanel

Nerdanel

[...The Wise...]
Reaction score
Yeah...well, I thought we could have more than one judge...and they could work together in PMs...more difficult, but then it's a best 2 out of three vote rather than just one person deciding who wins. :)

But if Arwen is the only taker I'm MORE than happy to be completely at her mercy.

For the debate that is. ;)

Arwen

Reaction score
so no other judges? I guess I need to think up a topic..I'll get back to you on that...

C

celebdraug

Can i join the debate?

a topic......let me see!
at the pop of my head this is one i can think of,

Did Dumbledore do the right thing for Harry by not telling him about the proficy until the fifth yeat at HOgwarts?
(intresting topic and i have not really ever thought about this properly before)

Tell me what you guys think 'bout it!

Nienor

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
celebdraug said:
Did Dumbledore do the right thing for Harry by not telling him about the proficy until the fifth yeat at HOgwarts?
(intresting topic and i have not really ever thought about this properly before)
Great topic, celebdraugh. :) Anyone want to debate with me? Nerdanel?

C

celebdraug

IM UP FOR IT!
SO ARE WO DOING SIDES? IF SO, YOU CAN PICK, NIENOR!!
:)

ARE THE JUDGES READY?
if so.....LET THE DEBATING BEGIN! :D:D:D

AcrobaticHippo

Determined
Reaction score
In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
Okay guys just post and Ms Arwen and I can decide.

As for my opinion,it's yes because I think Harry was at that time too young to understand the complex meaning of everything.

But I'm not gonna judge based on my views,I'm gonna judge on how well you guys back up your views by giving solid reasons for your opinion.

C

celebdraug

D'oh!
well originally what Jnanee Highwind said was going to be my argument, but im gonna change it incase anyone thinks thats why i choose to do it!

I'll say that NO :)() becuase Harry was not too younge for it! When he has 11, he had just come face to face with Voldermort, and if you compare the prophecy to Voldermort, which is more dangerous, having mightmare of the "thing" and haveing your scar pricking all the time, or knowing the prophecy and just basically facing the point that your mum died because of YOU (as in Harry).

Dumbledore should have told Harry, becase knowing the prophecy is not AS much of a big (and dangerous) deal as knowing that "the evil monster" is after you! It would also have been better for harry becasue if he knew why Voldermort was after him (And it would give him power because he would know that he know something that voldermort odes not know).