Do you like 80's music?

Do you like 80's music?

• Total voters

Malazan the Moderate

Guard of Gondolin
Reaction score
Another highly influential 80s band would be Dinosaur Jr., who are cited by pretty much every Grunge and Alt-Rock band as a major influence. On their 80s albums, their songs would often alternate between the heavier side of grunge and the lighter side of grunge.
There's also King's X, who were also quite ahead of the curve.

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
80s were a weird time. Punk was hot. Metal was hot. But the charts were hot with electric drums and synths.

I think a lot of great music was made in the 80s. But erm... yeah.

Sparrow

Reaction score
I still listen to the old stuff. The music of the 80s was pretty forgettable.

I use some of the lyrics found in, Whiskey in the Jar in the story I'm writing.
"Stand and deliver or the devil he may take ya"

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
There's probably a reason why this song rings true. The Whiskey in the Jar story is interesting, but 80s it is not. Well, it might be, but then it's probably going to be 1680's :D

Whiskey in the Jar - Wikipedia

I like the Thin Lizzy version - but it's a 70's song. You might claim Metallica , but that was 90's (only just as well)

Sparrow

Reaction score
There's probably a reason why this song rings true. The Whiskey in the Jar story is interesting, but 80s it is not. Well, it might be, but then it's probably going to be 1680's :D

Whiskey in the Jar - Wikipedia

I like the Thin Lizzy version - but it's a 70's song. You might claim Metallica , but that was 90's (only just as well)

Whiskey in the Jar is one of those wonderfully timeless songs that I hope will never go completely out of fashion... there is a recent song that brought Whiskey in the Jar to mind... Renegades.

Turambar

Harebrained
Staff member
Reaction score
I see how that works. There's definitely Irish influences in there. Pretty nice song, I'd admit.

We're drifting away from the 80s though :p

Kakashi

Call me Deacon Blues
Reaction score
There is a compilation album called Left of the Dial: Dispatches From the 80's Underground, and it's incredible. I checked it out from the library randomly one time, and it got me into so many 80s band. Someone made a playlist of the album on spotify, and if you have any interest in 80s music, check it out: Left of the Dial: Dispatches From the 80's Underground, a playlist by Rococo Zephyr on Spotify

Aside from that, I also enjoy the typical 80s music, even the corny stuff. The song from Breakfast Club is just a gem, but you already knew that. Recently I've been into Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung :oops::rolleyes:

OP
olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb

Staff member
Reaction score
I mostly love the pop 80's music. The 80's was so much more than that, but it just really gets me through life.

Uritron

Reaction score
Honestly, No. But sometimes I listen to 80's music and for now "Taki Taki", "Come on my way" are best for me.

bloodfiredeath

Die by the Sword
Reaction score
So much great stuff from that decade, when you actually had to have musical ability and stand out from the crowd.
80's glam/hair/prog metal for me (Dokken, Ratt, Queensryche, etc)
Plus Maiden, Priest and Sabbath. Early black metal (Bathory, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Sodom etc)
Early Death Metal (Death, Morbid Angel, Sepultura etc)
Plus the good early electro etc (Gary Numan, Depeche Mode, New Order, Human League, etc)
The Cure, Bauhaus, Cold Chisel....the list is endless!