Diferent thurning of the wheel

Reaction score
I'm starting to vrite a fic with the name as this tread, about some next turning of the wheel where the main course of events is mostly the same as the one in the books, and the map is the same, at least geographicaly, but everything else is different. And, since I'm lazy ;) I decided to take u'r help on creating the world.
Everything you can think off that you would like to see would be appriciated. I'll accept mostly anything. Still, this is not intended to be a comedy, so, please stay serious (but not too much).

Fic Facts:
-saidar is tainted this time.
-There are Asha'man not Aes Sedai
-Another incarnation of Mat (named Maet the Gambler) is/was in this turning what Hawkwing was in the books.
the rest is open to your suggestions and idea's

Crusader

Disturber of the Peace
Reaction score
So its kinda like what most peole use as an RPG excust,t eh multiple universe theroy.

like when rand et al got mixed up in the ortal stone to toman head. Your exploring the possiblity of the alterations to the universe.

Good idea, just remember the constand factors, the dragon, the dark one and whether they win or lose has to be the same as in the real books.

And by the Mat thing do you mean people referring to history of Maets Empire? or thats he's doing the stuff now? because theyv very conflicting with the chronology of the turnings of the wheel.

OP
holly st.Raven
Reaction score
You could put it that way.
Basicaly, the idea is of telling the story that happens in the same age, but different thurning of the wheel. Major things(events) are the same:

End of AoL by boring into DO's prison
War of Shadows
Sealing the prison and the counterstrike
Breaking and creating monumental landmark of death of the hero who led the sealing
Non-mad half of chanalers gathering in the organization
Troloc wars
War of the hundered years
War at the end of which the THE hero reincarnates

Everything, and I mean everything else is different and thus open to u'r suggestions and ideas.

And, since Mat is my favourite character, in my story, he represents all that Hawkwing represents in Jordan's sories.

Crusader

Disturber of the Peace
Reaction score
Okay but the saidar being tainted, although it is an interesting prospect, i cant see how it would happen if the core of the story is the same, the dragon leags the hundred companions to reseal the bore and causes the counterstrike by the dark one, and unless the dragon is a woman i dont know how you can ahve it your way.

OP
holly st.Raven
Reaction score
Ah, but thats why I didn't say Dragon but THE hero. It is different thurning of the wheel, so why shouldn't the dragon be female? Or why should it be the dragon at all? The point of the tread and the story are possibilities, not core following of the novels.
Think of it this way: Building of two closets- they are roughly the same shape, have same use and same elements. But there is where the similarities can, but don't have to end. It can be different type of wood, different size, number of shelves or notches, etc...

Crusader

Disturber of the Peace
Reaction score
yes but how can you have the same core elements without the dragon, the dragon is a huge part of the WOT universe, the fact that there is a Dark one in your version neccessitates a dragon, as i understanid it,, you cant have the wheel without the dark one, the dragon and a few other events, otherwise its just plaguerism.

OP
holly st.Raven
Reaction score
It's easily done. You just have to watch it from somewhat philosophical point of view ->
There was never an outward proof that THE hero has to be especially the dragon. We know that at the turning Jordan describes it is the Dragon, but that doesn't necessitate him to be at every turning. The closest we have is Ishy's statement at the prologue of EotW, but that doesn't prove anything.
So, lets just make a couple of hypothesis that can incorporate Ishy's statement, and open possibility for my works:
For instance, what if it is just a universal soulcore of the hero? I see no problem for it to not maintain the same gender and name always, and if we assume that the same case applies for Ishy’s soul, we have perfectly compatible and logic solution.
Or, lets take it that Dragon is male alternation of THE hero, and that every alternate turn THE hero is female. That still works, doesn’t it.
I have a few more scenarios that could work, but the bottomline is the same.

If that was not enough for you, here is another metaphorical comparation for u: Think of it as a theatre drama- you have a single, universal script, but you can have more than one play out of it. Different actors, different accent on acting, different scenery, different costumes, etc…

But now, lets end this discussion, this is a thread for me to gather new ideas, and listen to suggestions as I work, not to discus the philosophical sides of WoT. If u want to continue this, open a new thread, and I’ll gladly join u.

Crusader

Disturber of the Peace
Reaction score
I fully understand the concept behind your idea, but i really dont see your reasoning behind the alternate turning male and female. the dragon is 'the hero' and it is a he as all we know, ishy s speech is somewhat proof but the little things are also attributing. The dragon comes in at each turning, at this turn its rand, the turn before its Lews Therin. One of the key factors is that the dragon is reborn, the same person, different body, but its still the same core person. aha! i hear you sauy, different body. But really if you pick it up, the soul of a character is gendered in Wot, no matter what body they are in, (see aran'gar oran'gar). By changing it, its really not the same story.

we really need unraveller to come in here and put his arguement in.

doleniel

Elven High Priestess
Reaction score
surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
Crusader, you are overanalyzing. Think about it. Its an alternate reality. The way I read it, in this one, the Dragon was female and the women broke the world. So it makes sense that the new Dragon is infact female.

Oh, and my nitpick instincts drive me to correctness: it's Osan'gar, not Oran'gar.

Unraveller

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><
Reaction score
You're also forgetting that there are two heroes every cycle, the one who patches the Bore (LTT) and the one who remakes the DO's prison as the Creator did (Rand). Just because they were both men in this turning doesn't mean they couldn't be women in another, maybe Rand had to be because LTT was but who's to say whether LTT had to be? (Except RJ obviously...:))

OP
holly st.Raven
Reaction score
Thank u!
Now that the little problem is done, and over, will somebody, PLEASE, use this tread for what it is intended, and give me some idea, or suggestion?

Meteorain

Magical & Mystical
Reaction score
Tch....like try and making the women less dominative. It is quite annoying that they always seem to win every arguement XD

Soory, that doesn't sound like much, but its one of those little things that get to you !

Liadan

Insert Title Here
Reaction score
OH GAWD YES.

Ditto to what Met said. I hate them. I really do. Especially Egwene and Elayne.

Meteorain

Magical & Mystical
Reaction score
well Elayne I dont mind.

I abhore Cadsuane's lofty attitude (She needs to be balefired...or atleast switched), and Egwene needs to be taught she's not as powerful in the power as she thinks she is (Nyn should do this :p)

But generally, they are quite manipulative, and keep abusing the men XD

Crusader

Disturber of the Peace
Reaction score
Well i thought the difference was a little mroe drastic, i.e. no elaye egwene and such.

I was thinking a different play on the whitecloaks would be a good, maybe a militaristic organisation that support the power, but maybe somethig else, that just seems like its trying to be a constant opposite.