Bow Crafting

Molsenator

Molsenator
Reaction score
Hello there. I am relatively new to this, but have been interested for years, and would like to make a hobby of it. I was wondering if anyone could provide details as to how to craft your own bow; preferably out of materials you could find naturally, but any advice would be a help. Particularly, I'd like to know what types of tools I should use, the best wood, and what I could/should make the string out of. Any info on arrow making(fletching?) would be appreciated also.

Thank ye much,

Molsen

Mububban

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, what a massive question! :D I too have been interested in learning, and have found someone nearby to teach me. As I can't source native timbers easily myself, and am learning the very basics, I'm using vertical bamboo floorboards to make acceptable bows up to 50lb @ 28 inches.

I'll write more when I have more time sorry. but specific questions might help a little.

In the meantime, do a Youtube search for mububban23 (me), I have some basic videos up there.

Druid of Lûhn

The Little Lamb.
Reaction score
18 inches... length? for 50lb that sounds short. (Though very useful)

I know that yew is the best for long[ish] bows, as it is flexible and strong, and for the string you could use thick fishing line or something.

@Mub: Have you posted any videos of your bow[s?] in action? Last time I looked it was on making a bow/bending with the clasps