Barteris-Shards of an Iron crown..

Alchemist

The Fighters Guide House Member
Reaction score
Brightside took another deep drag, then flicked the butt to the side before exhaling. He shuffled the deck once more, putting the cards away and taking out a small knife, tossing it in the air and catching it repeatedly. Boredom was settling in, not something he cared for.

He breathed in, "Ah, the sea. There is always a game or two down at the docks.", his voice low, smooth.

He left the empty pub and casually strolled down the dusty street towards the docks, fedora pulled down low, still tossing his bladed into the air, catching it without any effort at all.

A while later, Brightside arrived at his intended destination, the smell of the sea air, however rotten here, made his fingers twitch. Sailors loved to gamble almost as much as he did. He slipped the knife into its sheath at the back of his belt, his long black suit jacket concealing it from view. He shifted his gaze one way then the next.

"Hmm, 'The Cutlass'? Looks like a run-down heap. Ah well, might as well see if anyone is up for a game."

He slid his hands into his pants' pockets and made his way to the pub, reaching the door he lifted a long slender leg, pushing the door open with his foot, before walking in.

Last edited:

olivia_the_lamb

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the guys dropped low and kicked the other in the shin, followed with a wild sort of move where he pushed himself up and over the man before kicking him in the head. The thief stole the victim's money.

"God! Why'd you have to do that?!" Asked the half-way stunned man.

"Because I'm thirsty and you're a sucker,” the thief gave him the finger and motioned the girl to run for the docks.

Ry looked at the guy who got his money stolen and put her hand over mouth. Her eyes conveyed a sort of "Oh my" expression.

The victim unlatched his spear from his back and slid it into the thief's heel.

Nodding to Ry, the now attacker, once victim said "Ah.. this should only take a second." Then he ran over to retrieve his goods. "Get up, you slob. You're making a scene."

Ry sat down in the dirt and watched the two men. She crossed her legs and giggled a little. Taking her knife out, she stopped paying attention to the men and started drawing in the dirt. She waited for the outcome, knowing it could come any second. She played in the dirt, getting her black gloves dirty. She clapped her hands a few times and the dust puffed in the air.

Kakashi

Call me Deacon Blues
Reaction score
dT looked down at the man, and watched as he slowly got up. "Yah know, if you're going to pick a fight with someone, make sure they're unarmed first. Jeez. Theifs these days."

The man just rolled his eyes as he started to walk away. dT grabbed his sleeve. "Just because you try to steal my money doesn't mean i won't buy you a drink. It doesn't look like company comes easily in this town, so now that we've been aquanited, we might as well have a beer. That is if your parents will let you stay out this late.."

The man gritted his teeth. He could tell he was trying hard not to attack him again. "Yeah, whatever. Just get me a fracking drink."

dT smiled, and then rolled his eyes back at the stranger.

Walking back over to the girl, he smiled, wondering what in the world she was doing. "Hey miss!, yah mind if i buy yah a drink?"

olivia_the_lamb

Staff member
Reaction score
"Hey miss!, yah mind if i buy yah a drink?" Ry turned her head slightly and squinted her eyes at the man.

"If you tell me your name you can buy me a drink."

She thought to herself about the first time she killed a person. The girl's eyes were full of tears and she called Ry something that Ry had never been called... or at least since then... she had called Ry her actual name. Ry took a knife and cut the girls tongue out. "I won't have to worry about you calling me that again." The girl was tied to a chair. Ry simply sat and watched the girl die, either from choking on her own blood or from loss of blood.

Waiting for the man's answer, Ry held her knife in her hand awaited the moment when no one was looking, so she could hide it. She stood up and stared at the man.

Last edited:

Kakashi

Call me Deacon Blues
Reaction score
"Ah, of course. dT. My name is dT." he answered with a relaxed shrug.

The woman nodded as the third of their trio approached. "And my name's Mugen!" the man said enthusiactically.

dT stared at him for a second. "Alrigh Mugen, yah know where we can get a decent drink around here?"

Mugen stared back. "No. This is my first time here, too."

dT shrugged again. "We'll find a place if we just walk along long enough.

Turning around to see if the girl was still following, dT said, "I just realized i don't even know YOUR name. So... what do they call you?"

LadyRaven

Sanzo's girl
Reaction score
Walking into 'The Cutlass' Amber walked a head of Hex griping onto the handle of her Ax tightly as she looked around for a seat. She wasn't all that sure about this place but if anything happened she knew Hex was here so its should be alright... right?

Making her way to a empty table she set the Ax down onto the floor with the handle leaning against the table at her side. Leaning back in her chair she crossed her arms across her chest while she waited for Hex to enter behind her. She hoped it would be soon by the looks of the place.

olivia_the_lamb

Staff member
Reaction score
"Ah, of course. dT. My name is dT." the man answered, shrugging.

Ry nodded and frowned slightly as the other approached them. "And my name's Mugen!" he said enthusiactically. Ry just raised her eyebrows and nodded again. She started to space out again until dT addressed her.

"I just realized i don't even know YOUR name. So... what do they call you?" he asked her.

"My name.. my.. hmm.." Ry looked from side to side. "Actually, ah, just call me Ry. That'll work just fine." She nodded and they headed to.. somewhere, she didn't know; she was just along for the ride... for now.

Alchemist

Reaction score
Brightside strolled through the pub, ignoring any looks cast his way caused by his unusual entrance. He stopped in the middle of the room, eyes shifted one way then the other. Before settling himself down at a table. He flicked the brim of his fedora up slightly, he reached inside his jacket and pulled out a fresh pack of cards and a cigarette. Setting the cards on the table he lifted the cig to his lips and held it there, not lighting it.

He began to shuffle the new deck, just as a young woman entered the pub carrying a rather large ax, he watched as she took a seat. "Interesting." Was all he said before he began shuffling again.

A moment or two passed by before Brightside called out to the local patrons of "The Cutlass".

"How 'bout a game?"

"Sure, I'm up for one." A heavy set man joined him at his table, followed by a couple of his friends. "What's the game?"

"Five card draw. Sound good to you?"

"Sure."

"Just to warn you, I hardly ever lose."

"Whatever you say pretty boy, just deal the cards."

Brightside stoically shuffled and dealt. The game went on for quite some time, before the heavy set man tossed the table over.

"You're a cheat! There's no way in hell I'm givin' away any of my money to a cheat!"

Calmly, Brightside got to his feet, and slowly walked over to the man, looking down at him from under his hat. In the blink of an eye a knife was at the man's throat.

"I. Never. Cheat." he said in a cool and collected voice. "I will be taking my winnings one way or the other." Casually he slid the edge along the man's flabby neck, leaving a thin red line, the blade just barely cutting into his skin.

Kenshin

Drifter
Reaction score
Kirio looked around the pub. Not much to report. It was small, a little run down, and smelt of ale and old cheese. Kir made his way over to a small table in the corner of the pub, about 10 feet to the right of the door.

A young barmaid approached him.

"Something to drink sir?" she asked politely.

"Erh, just a water, please and thank you."

The barmaid smiled and went and fetched Kir his drink. He gave her 3 small coins, and sent her on her way. Kirio surveyed the crowd, searching for the strange people. He caught sight of the woman just by seeing her axe, she was sitting at a table, arms folded. Her companion was still standing. They still weren't up to much, but Kir had an ominous feeling in the pit of his stomach. He slowly sipped his water.

Suddenly, a man in an expensive looking suit walked in, took a seat, and started shuffling a deck of cards. He then called out to the pub, asking if anyone was interested in a game. Kir watched as a fat buffoon took him up on his offer. A while later, the oaf threw the table over, proclaiming the man in the suit a cheat. In an instant, the man was up, a blade in his hand. The two appeared to talk for a moment, fire in their eyes, and Kir caught the end of their conversation.

"I. Never. Cheat."

Hm..Kir thought.More interesting folks. He slid down in his seat a bit. This curiosity was beginning to annoy him.

RayCaptain

Comfy Posting
Reaction score
Mugen had been rubbing his heel and sitting since the spear pierced him. He didn't even listen to the guy who did it, except for the drinking part, until he addressed the girl. Mugen jumped up and introduced himself but she seemed to space out. Mugen heard their two names, dT and Ry...easy enough to remember.

Mugen sucked up his minor pain and addressed dT, "So if I play nice you'll get me some grub?"

dT didn't even look but said, "Can't you see we're trying to have a conversation? Now I may buy you something if you apologize and promise to be a good little thief,"

"I'm not a thief, just hungry as hell," Mugen sighed, "I don't need your charity but I never turn down an offer for some drinks or food,"

"I said I might if you apologized and no where in there did you say 'sorry',” The blue haired spearman laughed a little towards the end.

"Well I will apologize for the low blow but not the money part," Mugen hoped it'd be enough.

Ry giggled at the two quarreling men and played around with her weapon. Mugen got no response quickly but finally dT spoke up.

"I will overlook your attempt and accept your apology," dT went back to talking to Ry.

"It wasn't an apology," Mugen muttered where the two couldn't hear.

dT and Ry started to walk off and Mugen followed, kicking at the dirt as he went.

OP
Wolf star *

Wolf star *

I walk alone.
Reaction score
Darius stepped into the smoke filled establishment. With out looking around he made his way towards the back of the room. Almost every table was occupied by customers playing games of chance and cards. The occasional hi pinched voice shouted out profanities of drunkenness from different tables as bar winches made there way through the maze of reaching hands and falling drunks.

Darius walked up to the bar that was little more then barrels covered by flat planks. The bar keep was a fat man with a gray beard standing back to Darius. He turned around cleaning a glass with a dirty rag.

“What’s your poison stranger,” he spoke as he placed the glass down. “Northern Elf wine,” Darius tossed a sliver penny on the plank table. The bars keep grabbed it up quickly and made it disappear just as fast.

After the vampire received his drink he looked around the room. From the corner of his eye he spotted some one he knew from years ago. Picking up his dink he made his way over to the table.

He slipped into an empty seat after he quickly picked the table back up straight with out permission and placed his drink on the table.

“Sorry for interrupting your game but I couldn’t help noticing that it was getting quite good,” Darius picked up his drink still hiding his face in shadow and sipped it quietly.

Brightside was holding a man by knife point. As a small amount of blood appeared on the man throat. The man looked as if he had soiled his pants, “what’s it to you stranger,” spoke Brightside as he keep the man as knife point, “no one calls me a cheat and lived to tell about it.”

“Always cut first ask questions latter, I thought you would have grown out of that by now my old friend,” Darius placed his drink back on the table.

Brightside narrowed his eyes at the cloaked figure, “what are you about?” He commanded.

Darius pulled back his hood revealing a white main of hair and with featured skin. “As I live and breath,” laughed Brightside dropping his knife and forgetting about the fat man who now scrambled a way as fast as he could. He reached over and slapped Darius on the shoulder.

“It has been a long time old friend, four, five years scene we last crossed swords,” Darius spoke as he made a slight smile.

“To long old friend,” Brightside laughed in good manner and ordered a new round of drinks.

Last edited:

I. R. Shogun

Midnight Demon
Reaction score
The Cutlass was a typical seedy bar filled with gamblers, sailors and other men and women from all walks of life. It looked about the same in here as it did in the streets of Dead Town, except in here some people actually smiled. Hex kept one arm rested gently on his swords, ready to draw the wakazashi should trouble arise. Amber quickly moved them to a table and sat immediately. Hex slowly followed suit. In a moment the bar maid arrived, "What will you have?" she asked.

"The house fish and some of your cheapest wine," said Hex. He didn't pay much attention to what Amber ordered, instead taking this moment to soak in his surroundings. There weren't many people of note in the place, but at one table in particular someone caught his eye.

A particularly well dressed man held a fat slob of a human at knife point. He wasn't going to kill him, only scare him, but it worked out very well. He wasn't interested in gamblers, but he was interested in the man that appeared out of the crowd a moment later. He dressed in black, and his weapons were few, but his voice was familiar, his face even more so. Hex had met this man only once, early in his career as a swordsman. That man, who'd called himself Darius was no human, and he'd been able to beat Hex then, one of the few people to boast such a feat. Hex didn't contribute that loss to his opponent being a creature with inhuman prowess, but it certainly hadn't helped him. Hex doubted that the vampire had improved as much as he had since then, but if he'd improved any significant amount then now they would nearly be equals, though the vampire still likely had the edge overall. And if he'd improved a lot since then the vampire was still out of his league.

Hex chuckled at that sight, it wasn't often he encountered those that had beaten him. Were he a bit younger or more brazen he'd probably have demanded a rematch then and there. However Hex didn't see the point in fighting that man just to avenge a loss. He had no grudge, and no reason to speak to the man about it when he'd likely beaten hundreds even only since then. Live and let live, in this case at least. A look forward led him to make eye contact with a man at the bar, an elf more precisely. The elf's eyes quickly darted away when Hex's eyes came to him, a common thing, but his nervousness told Hex something, he was the one who'd been following them, his earlier hunch had been correct.

By now their orders arrived, and almost at the same time another group of scruffy vagrants entered. Hex smiled as they did, he recognized them, some of them anyway. The blue haired man and the scrawny thief from earlier. By the look of them they were together only reluctantly, and they'd been joined by a woman, as the bum from before had mentioned. The thief and the man with blue hair certainly didn't seem thrilled about keeping each other's company, and by the display the thief had put on before, in a place like this those feelings would likely come to a head.

"Be on your guard," said Hex just loud enough for Amber to hear, "This place is a powder keg, and could very easily blow."

LadyRaven

Sanzo's girl
Reaction score
"Be on your guard," said Hex just loud enough for Amber to hear, "This place is a powder keg, and could very easily blow."

Amber nodded a silent reply, she already had a feeling about that she was glad to know she wasn't the only one with the bad feeling about this place. She watched as Hex ate his fish and drank his wine, as hungry as she was she didn't trust this place enough to order anything no matter how hungry she was.

" You going to eat?" Hex asked

Shaking her head " No, I lost my appetite" she replied as she once again looked over each person that was there before her eyes rested once again upon the Elf. In her upbringing only her 'Father' was known to trust the Elves but the rest of his people still held the ages long hatred of them. But what was it about this one she didn't know him but there was still just something about him... what was it though?

"You should eat something. There is no telling when your next meal will be!" Hex spoke up giving her some of his wisdom.

Rolling her eyes " Fine " she sighed. looking around she caught the barmaid and ordered a bowl of stew and a pint of ale before fixing her gaze back onto the Elf as she continued to think of how he seamed so fimilure. Before to long the barmaid was back with her order along with a small loaf of bread to eat with the stew.

Alchemist

Reaction score
“It has been a long time old friend, four, five years scene we last crossed swords,” Darius spoke as he made a slight smile.

“To long old friend,” Brightside laughed in good manner and ordered a new round of drinks.

While the drinks order was being filled, Brightside reached inside his jacket pulling out his lighter, and taking a drag off his cigarette before replacing the zippo back in his pocket, and shuffling a new deck of cards, not bothering to pick up the ones on the floor. "Out of all the shit-hole towns I stumble upon, somehow you managed to land up in the same one." He exhaled a cloud of smoke. "So, what brings you to this....place?" Before Darius could respond, Brightside flicked his wrist at the ground, a blade flying out and impaling one of the loose cards on the floor. He bent down to pick it up. "Don't bother asking me the same question, I never have a purpose to anywhere I go, you know that." He inspected the card he speared. "Ace of Spades."

olivia_the_lamb

Staff member
Reaction score
Ry stared at the people in the pub. Her left eye twitched, as it often did. She picked out two very well dressed young women and imagined tearing them to shreds with Catherine, her knife, and only friend.

"hey d... yeah you" she did a sort of half waving, half pointing motion at dT. "You see those girls over there?" he nodded as she titled their head in the two girls' direction. "... I'm going to kill one of them." she smiled a bit and sat at the bar, waiting for dT's promised drink. The young man just kind of stared at her before joining her at the bar. Mugen was looking around, probably for someone to steal from. If the girl she killed was carrying any money, she'd give it to him.