Baldurs Gate 2

Turin

Valar Morghulis
Reaction score
I have this game for the PC, It was given to me by a friend and I haven't installed it yet.

Anyone know if it is any good? Can it be played online?

Winterine

Ranger-Bard
Reaction score
I don't know about onlineness, but you can definately multiplay-it.

Baldur's Gate 2 is the best RPG ever! :eek: :D :eek: Well...it just is, heh heh! It has a great story, very story-driven, especially if you've played the original Baldur's Gate. But it's not essential to have done so. The banter between party members is one of the best things about it! Watch for anything Edwin and Minsc say, especially to each other *LOL* I won't spoil anything, hehe. The music is nice, you get some VERY nice environments to play in, interesting people to meet and nice effects. Its pretty easy to navigate and play.

If you get stuck or need help or want to hear me rave about it some more, just let me know! :D

OP
Turin

Turin

Valar Morghulis
Reaction score
ok, thanks. I might install in sometime later this weekend.

Flundval

Reaction score
BG2 is the best RPG ive played.
Story, char and AI is the best i seen.
I was dissapointet over Neverwinternight witch is like the "after bg game".
In that game they forgot to add AI to the NPC. You can do whatever you want and the people wont get upset ( you can go in to someone and start lockpicking and stealing in their home without them getting hostile).
BG2 is soooooo much better in this matter.
If you start to play it a asure you that you will refuse to leave the comp for the next month :D

OP
Turin

Turin

Valar Morghulis
Reaction score
ooo, sounds tempting, I still haven't tried it though. LOL. I'm getting more interested by the minute.

OP
Turin

Turin

Valar Morghulis
Reaction score
OK, I started playing this, I'm kinda stuck in the first level, any hints?

Winterine

Ranger-Bard
Reaction score
Uh, by first level do you mean the Prologue bit, in the dungeon? Well, hopefully you've kept Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc with you. There are two levels of the dungeon. To get to the second level, you need the portal key which is in the Mistress' room, past Irenicus's room and the dryads in the middle of the dungeon. Be prepared for trap-disarming and fighting golems, if you haven't met any yet...

Basically there the main thing is you want to get out, but there's a side quest or two...so I wont bother mentioning them for the moment. Ok in order you should have got:

1. Companions to help you fight etc.
2. Got the activation stone for the Sewer Golem from the table near Rielev
3. Activated the Sewer Golem so you can get to the passage leading to Irenicus's room
4. Met the dryads, well, they're not so important, they're just on the way to...
5. Gone to the Mistress' room, and gotten the Portal Key
6. Find a portal - there's two on the level, one near the cages you start near.

On the second level, you'll meet someone...and the main thing you need to get out of the second level are the wardkey thingys, they're not hard to find, just keep hitting TAB and checking all the containers everywhere you go. You'll eventually find a large, wide hall. Go along the left hand side with one character slowly, if necessary, and click on the pole thingys which are switches. You should have one key thing for each switch to disable the huge traps in the hall that you can't otherwise disarm. One of the passages to the right in this hall leads out to the surface, and to Chapter 1.

If you mean you're stuck in Chapter 1, which begins as you leave the dungeon, sing out, and I'll help you for that.

Last edited:
OP
Turin

Turin

Valar Morghulis
Reaction score
I am in the dungeon. I have been through the mistress' room.

Can't remember if I got a key there or not. I have 2 key thingy's, and I already used the little statue to get into the part where the genie is. Even with those two keys I can't access a portal, well, I'll try the mistress' room again when I get home tonight.

BTW, yes I kept all of my little helpers. I find Imoen very helpfull, and Minsc is a pretty tough guy.

BTW, I didn't know about the tab thing, does that highlight items on the floor?

Thanks for your help!

OP
Turin

Turin

Valar Morghulis
Reaction score
I just got out of the dungeon. Ticks me off that they arrested Imoen. I came to rely on her. I got my butt kicked against some mages too. Err.

I must say that it is a pretty all inclusive game up to this point.

Winterine

Ranger-Bard
Reaction score
Yeah, the tab does floor items too, but you probably know that now :) Probably the most handy key in the game, after the spacebar :D

I must say that it is a pretty all inclusive game up to this point.[/]quote]
I take it that's a good thing? *grins*

Minsc has some pretty funny lines, I mean, even the way he talks cracks me up! *lol* There are some NPC banters that are hilarious! I might bring this back up when it's more relevant, heh heh.

So what kind of character are you using? Fighter, cleric, mage etc?

The containers in the Promenade are all empty, last time I checked, so don't bother wasting time searching them all ;) The only thing worth checking out here is the Circus and the Adventure's Mart - finest shopping in all of Faerun. *g* Jaheira even has a little banter with Ribald, one of the shopkeepers.

Oh, and if you don't want to deal with the Cowled Wizards, don't use magic while you're in the city. You can indoors, though, and underground. Just not in the open in the streets. I think you're a bit weak to take them on at this stage ;)

OP
Turin

Turin

Valar Morghulis
Reaction score
yea, I found that they are pretty rough, thanks for your advise. I need to backtrack and checkout the circus. I think I skipped that part.

Hey, how do I locate things on the world map. My quest log says that my world map has been updated, however I do not see any of the places where I should be going. *sigh* oh well.

I didn't get anykind of instructions with this game so your guidance is very helpful. :D

My character is a Half-Elven Ranger.

Winterine

Ranger-Bard
Reaction score
You got no instructions? Well, I'm glad to help :D I just hope I make sense *lol*

You can hit M to get the current area map, so see where the "edge" of the area are. To leave the area you go to the edge of the current area where there is a logical exit (doorway, gate, tunnel etc) and the mouse pointer should turn into a compass thingy if I remember correctly. Usually you have to gather your party before venturing forth ;) Hehe.

I think you'll then get a screen which will be dominated by a zoomed-in Athkatla map. Just scroll the mouse to the right/bottom edge of the screen to get to the rest of the world map, or use the arrow keys. If you've got a quest outside of Athkatla, and your world map has apprently been updated, you should find areas on your map in grey. You won't be able to click on them directly until you've been there once, so the first time to you want to visit a place outside of the city, you have to go to the City Gates first (makes sense, ne? *grin*), and literally exit through the gates.

BTW sorry it's taking a while to get back, still in the thick of exams.

BTW, if you're looking for other NPCs for your party, there are three at the Copper Coronet tavern in the Slums, if you haven't found them yet, hehe, one at the Circus in the Promenade, one hard to get but very worthwhile in the Docks...others...and I'm guessing you still have Yoshimo, Jaheira, and Minsc. You can kick any out at any time too. Just hit R, then the Reform Party button near the bottom left of the screen. R is supposed to vaguely stand for Character Arbitration or sommat, methinks. *shrugs*

You're a half-elf ranger, eh? Interesting choice :D Evil? Good? Male or female? It actually DOES make a difference, hehe. If you want to increase your reputation, by the way, go donate at the temple, but not if you're poor. It takes hundreds to thousands of gold in a lump-sum donation to increase reputation by one point, heh. A high rep lowers prices at shopw, but evil characters while leave your party if it gets to 19 or 20. If your rep gets too low, guards and the like might pay you a visit every now and then, heh heh.

One of the quickest ways of getting gold is to work for the Shadow Thieves at teh Docks. Yoshimo might have something to say about that the first time you go there. If you haven't already been. You can pay up as soon as you have the money, too, if you want to get the game going, but I liked hanging around until I did every quest I could get the first time I played. Paid off, I think, cos you get a lot of experience, and find good items along the way, generally. :)

And there's no need to rush anywhere in most cases. Unless a quest or someone says specifically "be here at this time" or sommat, just do things at your convenience. I hope you're enjoying the game! My first character was a female chaotic good elf fighter/mage/thief, *lol*

I just realised my thoughts are pretty jumbled, and all over the place right now *c* I'll leave you to it for now. What do you think of Minsc's voice, by the way? *LMAO* :D

OP
Turin

Turin

Valar Morghulis
Reaction score
I like Minsc, he's a trip, Jahera is kinda annoying, lol.

My char is nuetral good. I am gonna try some of your suggestions. I get back in a few :D

Thanks again