Archery - making your own arrows

Christophe of Grey

Cordwainer to Royals
Reaction score
Lonearcher,
Bows, Bows everywhere but not a bow to shoot! Opps, I guess that's supposed to be Watter, Water, etc. Oh well............

I know exactly what you mean about different types of bows. I saw some Korean bows where I got my last long bow. They were real sweet little bows. And while they were designed to be used by an adult they looked like kiddie bows to me. They were set for a 28 inch draw though, which happens to be mine. I guess hunters would call them bush bows.

I don't know if you know this or not, but horse bows as shown on this web site - http://www.horsebows.com/horsebows.html - and are the only type I've personally seen for sale, have fiberglass limbs. The limbs are covered with leather, sometimes embossed, sometimes not. I don't see that as a bad thing as fiberglass is often used by bowyers to give a bow longer life (it doesn't break down with use like wood does sometimes). Now I have seen "real" horse bows in museums. Their limbs are made out of wood but are also backed with raw hide, horn or other nearly-impossible-to-flex-by-modern-man/woman materials.

Tawnos

Reaction score
arrows without an arrowhead were actually used by some tribes in Africa, IIRC... they were especially effective vs maille because when they hit maille they'd split and penetrate as separate pieces...

Lady Swartt Sixclaw

Reaction score
I like wooden arrows, but they have to be cared for EXTREMELY carefully, because they become much more brittle than usual in the dry climate I live in. I've successfully made a longbow before, but I forget what kind of string I used. Sorry, Bowcrafter.

Christophe of Grey

Cordwainer to Royals
Reaction score
OK, here's two questions for folks on this thread - arrows that split, shattered shafts, and bow limbs that break. I shot an arrow once that flew about 20 feet off the bow and then just shattered in the air. It was like the Star Trek movie where they go back and save the whale and the whaling ship fires the harpon and it hits the cloaked ship! It was the wierdest thing I have every seen. Left the string fine, then just dissentigrated in air. Now question - has anyone ever actually witnessed an arrow that failed and injured the shooter?

Question number two - I have broken a bow limb while in full draw. But, as the bow was a recurve and the energy was focused away from me and once the limb broke the energy in the limbs was gone, the bow simply collapsed on me. No splinters, no damage to me the shooter. A buddy of mine was testing a Horse Bow when the string just poped off during full draw. No damage/injury to him. Again, has anyone actually witnessed a bow limb break in a manner that resulted in injury to the shooter?

I'm of the opinion that if a bow limb breaks the likelyhood of the arrow flying off at a 90 degree angle and hitting someone else on the line, or hitting the shooter is mearely a figment of the imagination of the overactive range marshal. Same issue with broken arrows. Am I in left field here?

I will concede that if an arrow breaks mid shaft during release it could cause injury to the shooter. i.e. half of the shaft pierces the shooter's hand, arm or other body parts. But...... Help me out here.

OP
Mububban

Mububban

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Christophe said:
I'm of the opinion that if a bow limb breaks the likelyhood of the arrow flying off at a 90 degree angle and hitting someone else on the line, or hitting the shooter is mearely a figment of the imagination of the overactive range marshal. Same issue with broken arrows. Am I in left field here?

When I think about it, it doens't make sense that a failed bow would send the arrow off with any force at all.
Bows transmit force through the limbs to the string to the arrow, but they rely on all of those parts working properly. If the bow or string snaps, then all the tension to fire the arrow just gets released, not flunf forward, because if a limb breaks then there's no brace for the working limb, and if the string breaks the arrow's just going to fall off!
However if the arrow fails but the nock is still attached, then that part could conceivably go off the bow (which is still in working order) and do some serious harm. But I've never seen it happen, and pray that I never do. You'd be one unlucky archer for that to happen!

Christophe of Grey

Cordwainer to Royals
Reaction score
Mububban,
Thanks for the validation. My thoughts exactly. When I broke a limb on my bow, the whole thing just collapsed in my hand. A friend was shooting a horse bow and the string poped out of the limb nock just as he released. The arrow fell at his feet and the string collapsed on his bow hand - no injury. Like you said, all the energy of the bow is gone at that point.

The reason I asked is we have a target marshall in my area who wants people to remove string whiskers so he can inspect the ENTIRE string. Now the average whisker covers maybe 1/8 inch of the string. He has told me about experiences where he has asked/told potential archers to remove all such stuff from their bows before he authorizes them to use it on "his" range. Seems a bit overboard to me.

Now breaking arrows upon release could definitely be a different issue.

Christophe of Grey

Cordwainer to Royals
Reaction score
Re: Arrows breaking

Well, had a most interesting experience last week while shooting!! I was breaking in a new deer skin finger glove. Deer hide tends to be tacky when new. That is, it squeeks. Particularly so when your fingers, covered in deer hide, are next to the platic nock of your arrow. So there I am, drawing one of my wooden shafted self made arrows that I have shot for almost a year now. I feel something "settle" in when I get to maximum draw. I release the arrow, and what happens? The arrow falls at my feet, the string makes a tremendous twang, significant because I have string whiskers on the string to eliminate the twang, and the string leaves the most ungracious smiley on my bow arm. Can we say major OWWW! Apparently what happend is the deer hide glove was tacky enough to pull the loose nock off the end of the arrow, it fell to the ground so the string had only a tapered arrow end to contact with. NOT HAPPENING. So I got "reminded" with a bleeding smiley on my forearm. So the moral, when checking your arrows be sure to check the nocks too. I will be from now on!

Lonearcher

Nocturnal
Reaction score
YOUCH! That had to hurt! Glad to hear that it wasn't worse.

Concerning your previous post, I've never witnessed a bow or an arrow breaking on release but I saw a picture recently of a fellow whose carbon arrow broke on release, the arrow smacked his bow arm hard enough to leave an incredable bruise! Fortunately the arrow did not penetrate his arm. I don't know at what angle the impact was but I'm assuming that it wasn't even close to 90 degrees as that would (I think) result in his arm being skewered.

And as for your range marshal, way overboard!

Lonearcher

Nocturnal
Reaction score
I ended up smacking mine twice this morning. No scar and the bruise is light but it's still annoying because that rarely happens for me. The worst part is that when it does it shakes my confidence a little and my shooting suffers.

CrowCallerWoman

Correllian Tradition
Reaction score
Christophe of Grey said:
The very best advice I got from Elk Ridge was don't buy a bow until AFTER you have shot with it. As good bows have a lot of hand work in them, no two are the same. Not to be essoteric here, but for good shooting a bow and the archer must be "one". If you don't like your partner you won't shoot well.

So then, how would one go about buying a bow if there are no bowyers around were one lives, and the only source is off the net? Then what?? :confused:

Until next time...

gohekan

The Fighters Guide House Member
Reaction score
lonearcher isee you are from the lone star state,As I.And i was wondering if if there are any midieval paintbal arenas in the area?

Lonearcher

Nocturnal
Reaction score
Gohekan,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been away from the board for awhile.

As to your question, I do not know. There are quite a few people here interested in medieval reenactment and the SCA is active here but I have not pursued it myself. I would recommend that you check into any local SCA groups, they would most likely know. I believe there is a group known as NERO that is active here as well.

gohekan

The Fighters Guide House Member
Reaction score
ok sweet :draught:

Last edited: