Zero tolerance

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by clouded_perception, Apr 30, 2007.

1. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Yet more evidence that the American people are at the hands of a blind and moronic government.

http://www.thisistrue.com/zt.html

I'd also like to issue a general apology to all Americans I just offended with the above statement.

2. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    This has gone WAY to far. For crying out loud!! Its hard for me to wrap my head around this blatant stupidity. Who honestly...I mean...I have to stop before I begin a whole onslaught of profanity here.

3. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    This is so stupid...so, suspending kids with water guns and lemon drops is going to prevent real attacks? I'm sure anyone who wants to kill themselves after shooting their classmates is really going to care if they get banned.

@cp: It ain't just us, although we do seem to be the best at being paranoid. The kid who said "G-day, sport." was in Britain. :p

4. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    What getsd me is that the kid with the lemon drops now had 'drug dealing' on his permanent record. The kid who made a gun-shape with his hand now has 'terrorism' on his permanent record. The girl who asked a boy repeatedly if he liked her will be forever known for being charged with sexual harrassment.

NONE OF THESE THINGS WERE IN ANY WAY UNUSUAL. But it's ruined the kid's lives, especially the terrorism charges. I did all of these things when I was a kid. Lemon drops?! How is anyone, especially the kid and his parents, supposed to know that lemon drops may be considered illegal? I mean, really.

5. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Your "permanent" record is wiped clean when you become 18 in most places as far as I'm aware. At the very least I know it is in this state.

6. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    It's still stupid, all of those things are normal.

7. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    So my 17-year-old brother can go to America and rob a service station...

Naw, it's not worth the plane tickets. Besides, I hear American cops are more trigger-happy than ours, probably because many of them risk being shot on a daily basis.

8. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    If he's an American citizen and is tried under American courts, who don't decide to try him as an adult, maybe. And yeah, if the service station worker isn't packing heat the cops won't be very forgiving n that situation.

9. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    That's true.

10. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    id be trigger happy if i got criminals pulling guns on me everyday, not knowing wtf they would do.

11. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    The problem with that is some people show signs of being violent and mentally instable at a young age. On the other hand, the ones who've just had "youthful indiscretions" (to be politically correct :D), deserve to have their records wiped clean. It's very difficult for the government to discriminate between the two types and be fair. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

12. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    It's not like they just toss the record in the trash. Juvenile records are not destroyed they are "sealed." --As in they still exist in a file somewhere but supposedly no one is ever supposed to see it or be able to access it. Right.

13. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    That sums it up right there for me. Common sense, judgment, being firm but fair etc are all being pitched out the window by fools in authority. How ridiculous.

Mind you, Joe Public demands that something be done. They wont' take no for an answer, by jove. Then they complain when some idiot in power goes way over the top to appease them and win votes. It's a vicious cycle of stupid.

Bingo again.

14. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Oh. My. God. As an Aussie, let me tell you now - NO Aussie in the world would EVER take offense at that. Ever. Never ever.
    Idiots!!!

Now if he'd called the kid a convict, that could be taken differently. I highly doubt any Aussie would do anything other than laugh at that lame "insult" but it could be construed as being insulting. But saying g'day to an Aussie? Sheesh.....

15. chimera_789

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure I even get that one. Did the Brit boy greet the Aussie with an Aussie greeting and they said the Brit was making fun of him by doing so? Or did the Brit use a Brit expression because it is the greeting he knows, and it was seen as potentially offensive when uttered at an Aussie rather than a fellow Brit?

Either way, the child is probably now traumatized at the reponse and probably has no friends as a result --which is just exactly what we should be doing to kids to make sure they don't grow up to shoot people in schools...or wait a minute...maybe that's not such a great idea.

16. Lord Blaeric

Lord Blaeric New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The problem with America is Political Correctness and the idea that if anything Bad happens it happend for a reason that could have been prevented and that reason must be corrected so that the same thing can never happen again. Add to that the fact that society in America thinks that someone is at fault for almost everything bad that happens and that person must pay. Basically i think we Americans want freedom until soemone gets hurt then its fine to trample the freedoms of people in order to prevent whatever society thinks is bad/evil at the time.

17. Cay Fro

Cay Fro New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Those who can't do, teach.
    Those who can't teach, become principles and school board members.

18. chimera_789

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    some principles are actually decent but are completely hamstrung by school boards - those people seem to generally exist in an entirely separate reality.

19. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    So true.

20. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I think the whole "those who can't, teach" statement is a gross oversimplification and a slur on the huge number of good dedicated teachers who do an oft-times sucky job in the hope of having a positive influence on the lives of young kids.

That said, often the people who seek power and authority and influence in any organisation, workplace or social group are the veyr people who should not]/b] get it. I find that some of the best leaders are those who are very good at their job, don't seek the position, but end up in it and they do a good job because they know how important it is. And it's not to further their own agenda.