Zelda: The Movie

Discussion in 'Zelda' started by Padmé, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Anakin makes an interesting point, but can't you see how a movie like that would get labeled? I can see it now: "The Legend of Zelda" starring Link, the mute hero. It just wouldn't fly.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well that is important too, cause how you label it sounds indeed like a cheap hollywood movie. But I think they wouldn't label it like that if it was an anime movie. I think anime movies like akira, ghost of the shell (just to name a few) weren't labeled like that at all, luckily, and that is I guess what protected them from such publicity.

3. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but in the games, Link's responses are to be inferred by the gamer. I know this, because often a character will react to link as if he's just said something.

I really don't think Nintendo is ever going to give Link in-game dialogue, because their whole mission revolves around immersive gameplay, as best exemplified by their "who are you?" marketing campaign. In other words, the player is allowed to feel like he/she is the character because the character has little more than facial expressions of its own. When I play JKII: Jedi Outcast, I don't feel as immersed because what Kyle Katarn says is not always what I would say in that situation. Take away character dialogue, and problem solved.

If you tried to make a movie where the main character had little to no lines, then you'd have another Kingdom of Heaven, which was little better than terrible because of the poor character development.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I actually thought Kingdom of Heaven was quite a good movie. And you don't create depth in a character just by dialogue...I know what you mean with what you first said...Characters in the game do react as if Link said something, but I think the same can happen in a movie, although it would indeed be a bit weird, but I think it could even be unique and keep to the tradition to the zelda games. It's the story what's most important, which leads you what you can learn about the characters. The stories of the games are so unique that you don't need dialogue of Link to understand him or to learn his history. Because also the Link character is everytime in every game some kind of reicarnation, it is always a new unique experience what this Link has in common and doesn't have in common with the Link from the other games.

5. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You're right about things besides dialogue developing character. I thought the Link in Twilight Princess was incredibly expressive, to where you could usually tell just what he was thinking. Nevertheless, it would be weird to have characters respond to the unspoken lines of a character in a movie. No offense, but I personally feel that an anime adaptation of Zelda -- while it would be better than a live action film -- would still not suffice to do Zelda justice. If link's major expressions are going to be conveyed through body language, I just couldn't see anime as the sort of thing that could portray that.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well I also admit that I'm not sure what effect it would have. It depends a lot on the story, the development. If there would be an anime movie, then it should be written by the game developpers as well. Only then I would get confidence in the project. And yes I know it would be strange for Link not to talk, but I think it is necessary, cause Link has never talked in a game and I agree with what you said...I think he'll never will.

But if you look at the story of Zelda, then Link is almost just an extra actually, you see the story through his eyes, which would be different in a movie, cause Link isn't the most important character in the game although his importance in the story grows as further as the game progresses. So in a movie Link wouldn't appear on screen as much in the movie I think than on scale in the games, cause you don't interact with him, you observe.