Zane Grey

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Anduril, May 27, 2004.

1. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone ever read his books? We're reading "Betty Zane" now and it's based on the diary of his great-great-grandfather. The most amazing character is Lewis Wetzel. He could run at a full sprint and load a musket. His parents, sisters, and eight year old brother were slaughtered by Indians while he was on a hunting trip. After that he dedicated his life to the hunting of Indians. He was considered to be supernatural by the Indians because they could never catch him. And to taunt them, he wore his hair down five feet.

2. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Yes. I devoured every Zane Grey I could find when I was a kid. My grandmother had a lot of them. I loved them. Riders of the Purple Sage and the Rainbow Trail were probably my favorites.

3. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Aren't they amazing? It's incredible to think that these people really existed and aren't just fictional. I still can't get over the story of the man who took his horse off a 300 foot cliff.

4. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well only Betty Zane is historical. The rest of his books are fiction and even that one is rather fictionalized. But bits and pieces of real things did work their way into his books. The west was a vastly different place once.

5. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    True. Books like "Riders of the Purple Sage" are fictional. But "Betty Zane" is based on the diaries of Betty Zane's brother, Colonel Zane. And you can look up characters like Wetzel in the history books.