Yun's Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by stevenlink1, Dec 8, 2006.

1. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have a good picture or drawing of Yun's lightsaber? I would like to draw it in autocad, model it in 3D studio max and perhaps build it. If you know of a good picture, please give me the link.

For those who don't know, Yun was a dark jedi in the video game Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2. He fought against Kyle Katarn, who defeated him and spared his life. If you chose the light side in that game, Kyle crashes his ship near the end of the game and is left at the mercy of Yun and Sariss, his sith ally. Sariss attempts to slaughter the unconcious Kyle, but Yun, touched by the mercy Kyle had shown him, blocks Sariss' blow. Inadvertantly, Sariss' blade is deflected into Yun, killing him. When Kyle wakes up, he uses Yun's lightsaber (having had his own destroyed) and faces Sariss. Yun is the first Jedi to use a yellow (arguably orange) lightsaber, and is one of the only three jedi ever to be played by live actors who gave his life to save the life of another.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
  3. cecilkain

cecilkain New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    were there any Yellow sabers in the arena battle in AOTC?

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    no, in star wars, lightsabers are only red, blue, green and purple...you'll only find other colours in expanded universe which is known as non-canon in this case of the colours of lightsabers

5. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    And we don't want to start talking about that again. In fact, since neither Yun nor a yellow lightsaber appears in the star wars movies, I officially don't want to see the word 'canon' anywhere in this thread.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    So you admit that it isn't...(I didn't say the word...But you know what I mean:D)

7. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    No in actuality there are only the colours of red, blue, green and purple for lightsabers........... George Lucas always said just Blue, Red and Green, but for Samuel he made an exception and allowed him to have purple, also because it would be justified as he is the head of the Jedi Council.

It was a myth that there were yellow lightsabers in AOTC, even I thought so at first, but when you watch carefully, its just due to the fact that its a mixture of lightsaber and blast shots, and sometimes the eye can mistake them.

There are only 4 lightsaber colours, thats canon.

8. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I know. I am fully aware that yellow lightsabers are purely existant in the Star Wars EU. One of the things I liked about Dark Forces 2 though, was that it was shot live action with actors for the cinematic scenes. That's prbably what really glorified Yun's sacrifice in my eyes.

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Dark Forces II wasn't the only game with new star wars cinematic scenes although it was better. The other game which had this is "Rebel Assault II", which had a pretty good story imo, but the gameplay was fair but didn't stand out.

10. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Did you ever play Dark Forces II?

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I've played almost every star wars game...

12. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Of course. Why did I ask? Say, I have a question for you...

...ya know how lightsabers are usually given colors that represent an aspect of their wielder's personality? Well, what does Yun's yellow lightsaber symbolize. I've spoken with a VERY intelligent literature teacher, and she showed me that yellow has been used to symbolize corruption, treachery, or moral decay. These would all seem to suit Yun in the first part of the game. But then again, what about yellow as a sign of cowardice, such as in the phrase "yellow-bellied"? That doesn't really seem to fit. What do you think?

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    There have been several theories about a lightsaber's colour. Blue for example stands for loyalty, a firm Jedi who does his duty. While green stands for a more rebellious Jedi. However this doesn't seem to fit. As you Luke was very rebellious when he had his father lightsaber which was blue, but when he becomes more stable he gets a lightsaber of his own, namely green. So that theory doesn't seem to fit, cause you know that Kenobi always had a blue colour, Yoda had a green colour, Anakin had a blue colour. So try to link Yoda with rebellious, and Anakin to stable.

They also said that blue was the colour of the apprentice, green is the one of the master. But since the colours in the Jedi Council have a variety of green, blue and yes purple, that theory doesn't seem to fit either.

Then they said that there were different kinds of Jedi, that of the guardian, sentinel etc...then they started to link the colours to them.

But this is all expanded universe. So I don't think the gamemakers cared what personality the character had. They just wanted to show a larger variety of lightsaber colours. But we know since episode II that there are only 4 colours. Dark Forces II was made before episode II, so they couldn't know.

My opinion...no the colors don't represent aspects of the wielder's personality.

14. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anakin, I respect your wisdom in this and all matters, but I have to disagree with you. Rarely do authors of any story, even a screenplay for a video game, add unusual details for no reason whatsoever. There would have to be some reason why the author chose to assign a yellow lightsaber to Yun, especially because Kyle would go on to use that lightsaber as a symbol of Yun's sacrifice until he built his own. Now, the reason could be as simple as wanting to emphasize how unique Yun was, being that the game played him off as though he was a talented fencer, but if I were writing the story, major details like lightsaber color would be meaningful. This style of writing is so prevalent, that it can be hard to avoid inadvertantely creatinging profoundly meaningful characteristics.

15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    but listen you're talking like Yun was the only one with a yellow lightsaber...There were several other characters, even good guys who were certainly unlike Yun with a yellow lightsaber, and we are talking about a video game, not a book.

Why do the bad guys mostly get red...cause red symbolizes blood, danger, death and other...

Why did Yoda get green. Probably because he is green-skinned

Why did Mace get purple. Because Samuel L. Jackson loves the color purple, but it has nothing to do with his character.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  16. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'll take it all back if you can find a yellow lightsaber reference that predates Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2.

17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    The Jedi Academy trilogy written by Kevin Anderson features yellow lightsabers and dates out of 1994, Dark Force II out of 1997. If you don't believe me, read it...

18. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    No, I do believe you. Part of me was certain that if anyone could find a lightsaber reference it would be you. Very well, I admit that the color of Yun's lightsaber does not necessarily reflect any aspect of his personality.

19. stevenlink1

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You know, I just read that Lucas wanted the Jedi lightsabers to be exclusively green and blue so that they would stand out in any setting, identifying the jedi easily against the backdrop of blaster fire. That doesn't wholly make sense, since the clone troopers ended up with blue blasters, but it sounds like a good theory, since he allegedly said this at the beginning of shooting the prequels. Considering that, I guess it makes sense that Lucas wouldn't go with the idea of yellow lightsabers, because they would not stand out very well, particularly in very sunny evironments. I know Anakin doesn't see my point of view on this, but yellow would also be undesirable because, even when not in the context of lightsabers, the color yellow does have negative literary connotations.

20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well the reason that the colours are only red, purple, green and blue are probably technical reasons. But that's just the way it is. Those are the only colours that the Jedi and Sith use. That is how George Lucas created it, wether it's because of technical or storyline reasons doesn't matter, but it's true that yellow doesn't stand out very much if you would use it like on Geonosis, wouldn't have made much difference, you couldn't spot them very well or almost identify them as just pure white ones. These four colours are all colours which do stand out. But that's the way it is, he said those are the only colours lightsabers have, so if I was gonna write a story, then I'm not gonna bring up yellow, orange or whatever coloured lightsabers, cause it wouldn't be accurate. I don't deny that storytellers could maybe have given Yun a yellow one because of his personality...but every storyteller is different and doesn't follow the same rules. Some just give them a particular colour because it suits them better in their look, not personality. But you got to ask yourself which storyteller in the whole star wars galaxy has the final word in this...to me that's George Lucas, cause he started it and he said there are only four colours, so that's what I'm gonna stick at.

Search tags for this page

yun orange lightsaber