Youtube banning music videos

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Dasiydaresya, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Dasiydaresya

Dasiydaresya New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was reading this earlier. http ://www. clashmusic.com/news/track-of-the-day-111-ryan-louder (kinda of a heavy NIN style kinda music thing)

Apparently youtube are pulling down music videos? I'm not sure if its a good thing or not. I've definitely seen worse than that around.

ANYWAY. What I'm really asking is do companies like youtube who have such a huge share of the video market have a duty to either a) protect users or b) protect freedom of expression or c) something else?

2. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't think they have a duty to do anything. :) Youtube is a business.

If an musician or music company asks them to take down music, they'll do it. I've had that trouble just dropping in music as a background tune for a video and Youtube cuts it out.

The plus side is that the indie musicians don't have the lawyers, don't mind the publicity anyway.

3. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Youtube is a private distribution platform for user uploaded content. Their platform, their rules. Then don't have many duties out of those stated in their terms of service -those you are supposed to read before you use the site.

Most sites that offer content for everybody who wants to visit the site will remove material after receiving a copyright notice if just as a matter of self-preservation. Judges can track down a regular website very easily and have it blocked/censored/whatever if they don't conform to what the judge thinks is the correct moral standard. Websites deployed from darknets, mesh networks and similar places have more leeway because they are designed to be harder to locate - but also harder to use by the average user.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  4. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +329 / 1 / -0
    as stated, it's their business, rules on copyright are well defined.