Your worst book ever read.

Discussion in 'General Books' started by hendy, Feb 16, 2007.

1. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    apart from all the analysis I quite enjoyed of mice and men.

2. Kestrel

Kestrel Fool's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That's kind of what I meant. If it weren't for all the analysis (and the multitude of incompetent teachers - some of whom spontaneously got pregnant and left mid-year) I probably would have liked it.

3. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I used to hate english(still do) and the teachers with it, I used to get in massive arguments with them, like in test they ask ambigious questions(EG what do you think they are trying to say) and then say your wrong when you answer what you thought! silly english!

A little off topic rant but its all good...

4. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I loved English! Just flip through a couple of those really junior psychology books, the super-simple ones, and use as many of their explanations as possible for things. It doesn't even matter if your point doesn't match up exactly to whatever you're talking about; unless they teach psych as well the teacher will only half-understand you anyway and just take it on faith that you have a thorough grounding on the subject.

Plus English is a good place to catch up on reading Pratchett and Adams ("I'm studying the function of irony and satire... note that Pratchett's joke here workd on many levels; as well as being humorous to the layman for ironic content it's a quantum physics pun..." etc., etc.)

5. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Great Expectations was the worst book I was ever forced to read.

I might say something about Goodkind, but I think I'd get jumped.

6. Withershins

Withershins New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Did Goodkind write a book called Pillars of Creation or something like that? (Ah, Amazon says he did. I didn't know that was part of a series, which might explain why I didn't care for it...silly me.)

I don't like Eragon, but I don't hate it. I got through most of it, but took it back to the library before I finished it. It usually kills me when I don't finish books, even ones I don't like. The only thing about Eragon is that I can't see how people get worked up about it--to become rabid fans or bashers.

Required reading is horrible. I love to read, but something about the "required" part makes me stubborn. I hate to be told what to do. So when I have to read A Tale of Two Cities, I begin to resent Dickens--although I doubt it was his idea.

7. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Pillars of Creation wasn't that great. That was the one with Oba, and it introduces Richard's sister, right? It didn't entirely suck, but it has nothing on Faith of the Fallen.

Appaliq, just remember... I don't know where you live, so I can't hurt you. :D

8. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    *cough* I don't think it'd be a wise idea to add my voice to Rachel's, but what the heck. She needs support.

9. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The Unabridged Moby Dick

I love good long books but the minutia of harvesting blubber and listing ever specie of whale is pointless and drag on an already weak narrative.

10. mz-readaholic

mz-readaholic Use The Force

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    have to read to kill a mockingbird next year... i have to say im quite dreading it.
    i liked the silmarillion, but as it was more of a historical account of things than a story i could never really get into it. i didn't hate it, but i admit i did find my eyes glazing over at times.

11. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm very picky about the books I read. If I don't like it, I usually can't get past the first chapter.