Your worst book ever read.

Discussion in 'General Books' started by hendy, Feb 16, 2007.

1. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Whats the worst book that you have read..???

mine would have to be the silmarillion, ive never not finished a book cos once I start somthing I want to keep going, but with this I just struggled through half of it and then gave up cos it bored the sh*t out of me...

2. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Ever read anything byEoin Colfer?

His storylines don't entirely suck, for children's books; in fact he has some pretty Good ideas. However, his understanding of science is absolutely shocking, yet he continually tries to write about it. Okay, 'neutrino charges' I can let pass, because 13 yr olds probably aren't going to know what a neutrino is (well, some of us did, but I'm told we're a minority). Even his attempts at passing magic off as 'just another form of energy' and trying to incorporate it into our laws of physics is okay.

But what made me laugh was when he had a character attach a little hand-held nuclear reactor to a toy car (it's uber-cool technology we don't have, that bit is okay), and this somehow made the car go a lot faster. Ahem? Hello? What has the power source got to do with the toy's speed? Presumably he was trying to say that the nuclear source would pump out more amps and increase the speed, but this would just destroy the cheap wiring in the toy. Besides, they have fuses and suchlike in them for safety. They're used by LITTLE KIDS.

Even that would be forgivable, if i hadn't come across a ludicrous description of the way electricity works in The Supernaturalist. I haven't got the book here now, but this is the gist of it...

"Cosmo firmly grounded his rubber-soled shoes. The electric pulse flowed through him and into the ground. Had Redwood [I think that was the bad guy's name] held onto him, the electricity would have flowed harmlessly into Cosmo, but as it was..."

(Note: if anyone has the book, an exact quote would be appreciated.)

COME ON. I know plenty of 13 yr olds who know how electricity works, and even if I didn't there is nothing that this description of it adds to the book that an accurate one wouldn't. This shows he didn't bother to do his research.

Respect your audience, Colfer.

3. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    amen, i hated his books

4. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Actually I was impressed by the nonlethal weaponry in The Supernaturalist. That cling wrap gun thingy? Genius. But that's it. And what was the deal with all the lawyers with guns? I'm not even going to go into the description of what he said the atmosphere was like...

Okay, now I'm ranting. Sorry.

5. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Never heard of Eoin Colfer, and it sounds like something I should definitely steer clear of.

I actually have never finished the Silmarillion either. Got mad at some of the characters and had more important stuff I had to read *sigh*

Actually, I hated trying to read To Kill A Mockingbird. That was back in year 9 for me, and I can't remember why I was absent from classes, but I didn't get the book when the rest of the class did, so I was a week or three behind to begin with. I found it VERY hard to get into and had to read and reread paragraphs over and over and over and over...I managed to get around 3/5 through the book, but by then we were watching the movie version in class, so I didn't *have* to finish it to find out what happened, hehe...

It's definetly a book I will come back to and read properly when I have time, though.

For similar reasons, I never could get into Sense and Sensibility either.

6. rhapsody of serendai

rhapsody of serendai Thorn's Lover

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    Started a few Eddings books before but couldn't get past the first few chapters, they were so awful! Conquerer's Moon was one of them I think.

7. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    You should include this in your sig ;)

Amen Winter, I too had 'Mockingbird' and Austen to study at school. It's a crying shame because 'Mockingbird' as SUCH a great book, it's just forced on kids too young. Actually, teaching a text tends to kill it anyway. Never touched Austen since 'Emma', and I never finished that either.

'Ulysses' by Joyce. Most people have it, I've only ever met one person who's finished it and he was an English Professor... I've read the first 20 pages about 5 times, never gotten further.

8. Matrim Cuathon

Matrim Cuathon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Austen is really good, but only if you have broad taste.

9. Withershins

Withershins New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't remember what the novel was called, and I don't remember it well. I think it involved a mysogynistic professor creating a world and his female assistant (or student, I don't remember) got sucked into it with him. The women were wimpy, and guys ran around half-naked carrying swords. Anyway, the professor got turned into the girl, and the assistant said something like, "Serves you right." Anyway, it was really ridiculous.

There's also a book called Three Sisters by someone I can't remember. It was worse in some ways. It made less sense, it had a long build up, and all of a sudden everything was made right at the end. At least the plot of professor book was (unintentionally) funny.

And The Portrait of Dorian Gray. I don't care about Dorian's red, pouty lips! I should have skipped everything but the last five pages. That's about when it got interesting.

10. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Good advice.

11. Matrim Cuathon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i dont have a real least favorite, but Eragon is in there somehwere.

12. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Never read it. My friends warned me not to bother.

13. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Lord Bowel's Fane. totally unreadable

14. Matrim Cuathon

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know a book called Lord Fowels(sp?) Bane, but no lord bowels fane :)

15. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree on "To Kill a Mockingbird" - great book, but I'll never go near it again after studying it in school.

Orsan Scott Card's 'Alvin Maker' series is possibly the worst I've ever read...it's so ridiculous that I've read some good parodies though.

16. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Mine would have to be Peake's Gormenghast ~ I hated it first time around and never felt up to giving it a re-read.

PS I think Silmarillion is a good book. Interestingly Tolkien himself had doubts about publishing it knowing that those who had read LoTR would expect more of the same. It's not and was never meant to be read cover to cover as a novel. It's a series of tales which build more of the history of MiddleEarth which gave LoTR it's impression of depth of lore & history. When I first read it I made the same mistake but have since re-read it (many times) and appreciate it for what it was intended to be and for the scale of Tolkien's world.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  17. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I think he was overly vain and didn't want 90% of his world construction to go to waste when he died. :)

(Just kidding -- I've never read any of the LoTR stuff. I got up to meeting Strider, gave up on the whole tedious thing and hired the movies.)

18. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    :D ~ The Silmarillion was published posthumously by his son :p

19. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Maybe ill give it another go when I find the time?.
    but then again maybe I wont. time will tell if I can get over my mental scarring and try :|

20. Kestrel

Kestrel Fool's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    As various people seem to have mentioned books ruined by forced study, I'll include my own experience: The Great Gatsby. I hated reading/studying that. I found it so dull and unfascinating that my friend and I regularly skipped those lessons. Looking back at it (okay, this was only a year ago...) it was the teacher that was dull and unfascinating (although I did recognise this fact at the time), not the book, which, if I read it again, I think I would really enjoy. The same went for Of Mice and Men when I was in Year 11. To be honest, I got really tired of studying American texts for school (no offense), especially seeing as they always seemed to be about The Great Depression, and I'm afraid that really doesn't interest me at all. Studying about it in History is more than enough, thank you.

Fortunately, I had the chance to read To Kill A Mockingbird by myself, and, never having had to analyse it to death, I thought it was fantastic - really enjoyed it.

One book I didn't enjoy (although I only ever got a few chapters into it) was 1984. Boring as hell.

Can't think of any fantasy books I've hated, although there must have been some that I didn't like so much. Just can't think of them right now. It's late.........